• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Mapped drives keep getting disconnected

Ok, this issue is really starting to piss me off. One of my directors has a Surface Pro that she uses for meetings. She can use it for VPN to connect to her mapped drives. The issue i'm having is it keeps deleting one or both of the mapped drives upon restarting. I have the drives set to reconnect at logon, can access the drives (while connected to vpn) but the second I disconnect from VPN and reboot, I have to remap the drive. I've run net config server /autodisconnect:-1 from an elevated command prompt, but at this point I'm not sure what else I can do.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Could the VPN have a script that unmap drives on disconnect?

If not you might wanna try this

Contorl panel==> administrative tools ==>Local Security policy==>Local policy==>Security options==>
    set it to 99999 at "Microsoft Network Server:Amount of idle time required before suspending a session".

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Nope, I have the drives mapped on other devices and they never have that issue after disconnecting from VPN. Right now on the last 3 attempts, 1 of the 2 kept getting disconnected, but the other stayed.

BG Level

try the gpedit command i posted

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Ok, this issue is really starting to piss me off. One of my directors has a Surface Pro that she uses for meetings. She can use it for VPN to connect to her mapped drives. The issue i'm having is it keeps deleting one or both of the mapped drives upon restarting. I have the drives set to reconnect at logon, can access the drives (while connected to vpn) but the second I disconnect from VPN and reboot, I have to remap the drive. I've run net config server /autodisconnect:-1 from an elevated command prompt, but at this point I'm not sure what else I can do.
    Is this issue specific to this user, or specific to this device?

nm - you just answered.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    try the gpedit command i posted
    Was already set to never disconnect.

Could always just write a startup script to connect on login.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Startup script will fail as they wouldn't be on the network most likely. Wound up back dooring it by setting it up as a network location instead of a mapped drive. If I never have to see this Surface Pro again, I could die happy.

BG Level

You can make a script that your boss will run manually after connecting to the VPN

some VPN software allows you to put a script and the VPN will auto execute it after making the connection

By login, i mean after VPN. The way i did it was their VPN Icon would really be a script. It would ask them to login like normal, then in the background the script would ping for a server. Once it could see the server, it mounts the drives.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Honestly too much work for my limited knowledge. It's also possible that since the VPN is maintained by the county and not us, they would block it. They have a lot of weird security protocols for the county wide vpn.

Plus also here, I literally have to play to the lowest common denominator. I had a person flip her shit when I told her I'd have to wipe her laptop and she needed to back her stuff up to a USB drive first and claimed she didn't know how to do it. I also had another get pissy cause she didn't want to download the 1.8mb token software to her iphone cause she didn't want it "consuming her data"