1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Incapacitation: Collecting info

Incapacitation is fun! The lodestone article on incapacitation lists some examples of how incapacitation affects some mobs. I've personally gotten the additional loot from the Magicked Bones, including the Skull Eyepatch+1.

What I'd like to do is gather more information on the effects of incapacitation on various mobs. Hopefully this will give us more interesting fights to try. The lodestone article indicates mobs will suffer from these effects:
    Weaken the monster
    Prevent the monster from using its special attacks
    Influence the type of loot dropped
    - Does incapacitating a mob always do all three things listed?
    - Will there always be a visual difference?

Hints in the chat log. Here are some snippets from my chat log.
    Code:
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 274 points of damage.

Your Concussive Blow II hits the roselet's maw for 232 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the roselet's maw for 238 points of damage.
    The roselet's maw is incapacitated.

Your Concussive Blow II hits the roselet from the right for 247 points of damage.

Your Concussive Blow II hits the roselet's maw for 255 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the roselet's maw for 410 points of damage.
    Concussive Blow x2 fails to take effect.
    The roselet's maw is incapacitated.
    The roselet is defeated.
    You gain 4 experience points.
    You gain 37 hand-to-hand skill points.
    Your loot list now contains a red landtrap leaf.
    Your loot list now contains a red landtrap leaf.
    Your loot list now contains a cotton boll.
    Your loot list now contains a dodo skin.
    You obtain 6 wind shards.
    You obtain 3 lightning shards.

The lone wolf is engaged.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 181 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 171 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 171 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 179 points of damage.
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 178 points of damage.
    The lone wolf's head is incapacitated.

Your Concussive Blow II hits the canopy galago's head for 239 points of damage.

Your Concussive Blow II hits the plains footpad's head for 244 points of damage.
    Incapacitation
    You do get a notice in the combat log. The chat filter is the same one that shows/hides the damage you've done. I believe it's called "Successful attack". It's early in the filter list. I'll post the exact filter names when I'm at home.

No longer incapacitated
    The combat log also shows that mobs can lose the status of being incapacitated. This shares the filter with self heals (strangely).

Part specific damage
    Another thing to notice is the slight alteration in the combat log for mobs that *can* be incapacitated. Instead of:
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf for 178 points of damage
    It now says
    Your Concussive Blow II hits the lone wolf's head for 178 points of damage
    Damage from the side/rear obscure the hint messages
    If you attack a mob from the side or rear, the combat log no longer shows something is eligible for incapacitation. I'm doubtful this actually prevents incapacitation but have not tested extensively.

Lower ranked mobs
    It appears incapacitation works on lower ranked mobs too. However, I have not observed any noticable effects on loot or dmg done.

Let's collect some data points

Magicked Bones
    - Concussion Blow II incapacitates the skull
    - Visual effect: Skull gets knocked off
    - Affects loot: Now has a chance to drop Bronze Chain and Skull Eyepatch (Black)
    - Weaken Monster: did not notice any change
    - Prevents special attack: did not notice any change

There are also a number of mobs where I was able to successfully incapacitate, but did not notice any effect in in loot, mob strength, special attacks or visual indicators of incapacitation:
    - Curious Galago
    - Lone Wolf
    - Firestarter Imp
    - Dodo
    - Roselet
    - Plains Footpad
    - Amateur Footpad
    - Downcast Hippocerf
    - Antling Digger

I hope I'm wrong and simply missed the indicators, but I haven't seen much. And the only exciting loot so far has been the Magicked Bones. I'd like to hear others' experiences.

Excellent testing,

Just a note, even if you knock the head off a skelly, if it does its feign death move the head will return once it stands up . Kinda sad when you want those chains and eyepatches for money haha!

It might be a good idea to test is certain abilities have a larger affinity for causing the incapacitation. I notice it I get it sometimes even when duo on them with a cnj healer. So maybe it is also tied to the amount of damage done in the attack?

Skeletons have a TP move called Magicked Skull which does significant AOE damage and also destroys the skull. I would imagine damaging the skull would prevent them from doing this attack.

As far as visual cues go, I know that Aldgoat horns appear broken when you damage them. I didn't notice any visual effects on humanoids, dodos, opo-opos, gnats, and imps when I incapacitated them, though I could have just missed something. As far as weakening effects go, it's likely that doing something like damaging the head would reduce accuracy, but there's no concrete way to tell. I believe Coblyn crystals get smashed when you hit them, but I haven't tested it myself. They do seem to have a TP move that uses their crystals which can cause them to get destroyed, and I'm guessing destroying them yourself, like with skeletons, prevents this TP attack.

I've heard people suggest that to incapacitate a body party, you need to do x amount of damage to it, which would explain why it's very difficult to damage things a higher level than you. Alternatively it could just be a % chance, which would also cause the same behavior, but most likely the former. I haven't had much of a chance to test higher level enemies with 3-4 people all hitting the head 1-2 times per fight.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I also wondered whether the amount of damage done affected it too. Lone wolves, for example consistently took many hits to trigger incapacitation. While I could often do it with Magicked Bones in one hit. Someone mentioned it may be because bones are susceptible to my blunt damage, which may contribute.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Tried Shrieker on Floating Eyes in Tam-Tara Deepcroft the other day and while it didn't say it hit it's head (how hard can that be?) it hit it's eye. I had people with me though so never got more than 1-2 Shriekers in per fight but sometimes we did notice an increase in their strength and the addition of a new AoE move that hit us really hard.

You can also find Wild(?) Hogs down there and Shrieker hit their head but I never noticed any difference in how they were acting. However I never reached the point where they're incapacitated.

Either way more monsters to test for people.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I've been knocking off Wights heads with Shrieker on the first attempt as Rank 24 Archer, but have not tested it much (just one leve.) Haven't seen a bronze chain/eye patch drop yet though. I can also confirm that they do not use their TP move when their heads are off.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've had a weapon skill that deals 'Incapacitation' for a week now. It lasts 3 seconds, and I can't notice it doing anything. Puts a pink squareish debuff on the mob for that duration.

Something completely different?

You mean Flash Freeze?
    According to the effect's description on this (assuming that description is taken from the game and not just made up) it seems to do the same thing, just for a shorter period of time.
    So assuming the rumors are true it would be halved accuracy on skeletons (or whatever missing their skull does) and so on.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I did not see any debuff on the mob related to incapacitation that I remember. Good chance I could have simply missed it.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Sometimes you have to hit the same spot multiple times for an "effect" like aldagoat billy's horns, take concussive blow X2 like 2-4 times before the horns actually break.

Not sure if it's the same, but Doblyns have a move where the blow up for large amounts of damage. When they do, the crystals on their head break off, and they are unable to perform this move again.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

More head knock off info. Head damage seems to increase the cast time of a lot of TP moves by about 4 fold O.O

IF you knock the head of a skelly before it does its tp move and time its tp charge time you will notice a significant difference from standard cast.

I've also done similar of billy goats and dodos and have also noticed a large increase in the casting time of TP attacks.

Though more testing is needed on more mob types head damage clear effects TP attack casting times.

This isn't exactly the same thing but a DD I regularly party with commented on how much I interrupt mob skills/spells. I rarely use Shield Bash because I prefer getting sword skill ups . So, a related topic to this incapacitation thread is interrupts and maybe how weaponskill damage is related to interrupt chance on the mob.

I usually outrank my DDs in a party so my WS damage is usually equal or greater than theres, so I suppose with a little luck I am interrupting more than the LNC trying to do so with Leg Sweep lol.

Since I do not currently believe that each WS has its own affinity to interrupt a mob, we could design a simple experiment to determine the threshold of damage for interrupting a mobs action. I'll try to do this tomorrow after class and come back with the results if I have the time.

You can incapacitate on a deathblow and still get the bonus drops, so don't be afraid of launching CBII at 1% when you're farming eyepatches!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Tested my Incapacitation-debuff WS on some of the specifically mentioned mobs here. It doesn't do anything, must be something different. Or broken.

Never got the Incapacitation effect from Flashfreeze to land on Black Efts, however it always seems to land on Skeletons.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Tested my Incapacitation-debuff WS on some of the specifically mentioned mobs here. It doesn't do anything, must be something different. Or broken.

doesn't work if you hit the side/back, has to be directly in the front (and also a Rank 2 ability) which are all lv 20+ stuff, and or takes multiple "head blows" for an effect to happen.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Nevex View Post
    Never got the Incapacitation effect from Flashfreeze to land on Black Efts, however it always seems to land on Skeletons.
    It lands fine on most everything. But it doesn't do anything.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Flashfreeze from the left/right hits a Raptors legs. From the front, it hits its head.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9552/useless.jpg

Tried for an entire PT earlier in the week to show some effect by anticipating when a breath was going to be wound up, and timing the WS correctly on its head to try to interrupt it... since the debuff lasts 3-5 seconds maximum. It doesn't do anything and I didn't notice any changes in drops or damage.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    The Underbog

So after reading the lodestone chart for incapacitating weaponskills, am I correct in assuming DoM are unable to perform incapacitation?