+ Reply to Thread
    New Merits
    BG Level

missed a court date I didn't know about for traffic ticket... what now?

So last week I got back from cali for a vacation, and had a bunch of old mail piled up that I didn't even get to til today... apparently I had a court date on the 22nd for a complete bs ticket i got(cited for "illegal exhaust" with a stock one that just recently passed inspection...)

Anyways just wondering what happens now... I never had a ticket or had to go to court or anything at all in my life so I'm really not sure what happens... it was just a thing where it says I discuss my case with someone in the office.
    didn't have any other mail regarding me missing it so i'm honestly not sure at all what happened after missing it

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Unfortunately, prison

You lost...so now the court has to file the ticket. This is where it gets sort of funny. This doesn't always happen. It's common to late-file. This essentially means the ticket doesn't exist. Chances are that you don't get that lucky. Call, pay it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Go and turn yourself in, explain that you were on vacation and bring evidence.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Keep your butthole tight.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Now, state, municipal, etc codes are different, but it's probably a civil infraction. Not really something you have to turn yourself in for. Just call, and ask. You really have nothing to worry about other than paying the fine.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

In D.C. your fines double if you miss court. Bring documentation, call, etc. Don't think you'll get any jail time; stuff like this usually ends up with a suspended license if you wait too long. Get on it asap.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

All they care about are the fines, especially these days. I've fought ~6 traffic tickets; every single time I go either A) the arresting officer doesn't show and the whole thing is dismissed or B) They offer immediately to drop the potential points on your license / insurance impact if you pay the fine. Call, pay fine, relax. They don't arrest people for exhaust issues unless a dead baby in the muffler is the cause.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Definitely no jail. They don't have room in there for small stuff like this. It depends on the state, here they just sent me a letter saying that the court date has been extended by a week. No fine, no penalty or whatever.

Turn yourself in. They'll probably either set a new date, or ask you to pay the fine + some extra.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Around here they normally reschedule if you miss your initial court date. You can usually call and find out when the new date is and/or pay the fine.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Contact them, arrange to take care of it. They are in the business of making money, not wasting money putting you away.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Yeah just go down there and take care of it, they won't do anything beyond a fine.

If you ignore it though, they might come after you. I missed a court date for a traffic ticket (expired registration), forgot about it, and four months later I had a Sheriff at my front door. He took me in, booked me, and I had to get bailed out and appear for the registration charge. That was obviously very embarrassing and expensive. Also annoying since I had to go, he wouldn't let me just take care of it that day. I had to get put in a holding cell, and I had to have my wife bail me out, and I have absolutely no criminal record except a few speeding tickets when I was younger.

tldr: Go down there and take care of it tomorrow.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Nothing severe will happen to you, you won't goto jail over missing a court date you asked for.

You pretty much just lost your right to appeal the ticket. That's all

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My wife and I were driving through WV back in May and she got pulled over, and just sort of forgot to pay the ticket. We just got an notice about it and called and paid like it was no big deal. Like everyone said, unless it was for real crime, missing a court date isn't a big deal.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Nothing severe will happen to you, you won't goto jail over missing a court date you asked for.

You pretty much just lost your right to appeal the ticket. That's all
    You can still appeal. You can call and enter a not guilty right over the phone actually while you are rescheduling.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
    You can still appeal. You can call and enter a not guilty right over the phone actually while you are rescheduling.
    Depends on the state. In MA you lose the right to appeal and have to pay $25, but that's it.

You should start running pal, you're an outlaw.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hmm. I have just broken a law. The internet is obviously where I should go for advice.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Uldum

^ Duh. Don't you know that everything on the internet is true?

Just contact them. Like everyone says, you'll be fine.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob View Post
    Depends on the state. In MA you lose the right to appeal and have to pay $25, but that's it.
    Yea, I'm speaking on MA law since that's all I really know. Guess that's what happens when you don't even appeal to a actual judge.