+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wow. Stopped looking at this topic for a while and decided to check it while I was dling the beta(just got the invite.), but after reading this last page I'm not so sure I want to play. And yeah, for the most part Rift does F2P excellently, this is just... what the fuck...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think it's rediculous the amount of people who WANT to throw down 150 for ALPHA. Sure you get other ingame items but come on, really? The archeage subreddit is filled with people who think they are better than everyone else cause they pay, people posting stuff like "If you are a F2P player than fuck you" literally. If you so much as hint that stuff like being able to sell on the AH or have a house in F2P then fuck you.

It's funny seeing people using P2P as a metric for weeding out asshats, when far too often it's the people insisting that wind up being the jerks.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Siya View Post
    I think it's rediculous the amount of people who WANT to throw down 150 for ALPHA. Sure you get other ingame items but come on, really? The archeage subreddit is filled with people who think they are better than everyone else cause they pay, people posting stuff like "If you are a F2P player than fuck you" literally. If you so much as hint that stuff like being able to sell on the AH or have a house in F2P then fuck you.
    Selling on the AH can be argued, but land is actually a lot more complicated issue.

Realize that there is not infinite land for everyone to drop whatever they want on it. Each of the zones on the main two continents have a certain designated amount of land where farms and houses can be placed. There's also a smaller section where medium/large and thatched farmhouses can be placed. The starter zones also have areas designated for farms/gardens only. This isn't PSO2 where player housing is instanced.

The issue actually came to a head on the first Alpha server. People rushed for land immediately (which really, you should be doing). While most people were relatively compact and orderly in their land claiming, the zones filled out fast. Granted, there were some people that dropped a farm to flip the land or create something larger later. I was lucky to score a farm and small house in Windscour before it really started building up.

Something that really clued people in on the land situation was the property system. In the event that taxes are not paid on a piece of property after 7 days, the property can immediately be destroyed and the land claimed. Depending on the zone (eg. East only has 5 Temperate zones, meaning they were the best to shoot for), you could see 10-30, if not more, huddled up over a single property that was about to expire. Granted, this problem has been more pronounced on the East side, thanks to the fact that every single streamer outside of anyone related to vVv decided to go East and band together like the blobby clownshoes motherfuckers that they are.

Eastern blobs aside, land is at a premium because they opted to not make it instanced. Because of that and how easy it is to be able to pay off taxes on the land, I wouldn't see land going pure F2P any time soon.

EDIT: There is also something called the APEX system, which is something I have not seen implemented yet. But it's something that is said to allow F2P to own houses and such.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Am I wrong or would the Pirate faction just be able to fuck up unwatched farms/lands?

Also, yay got a beta invite.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I have to agree that the changes to the LP system as presented in CBT1 were terrible. I myself had to buy three LP pots just to be able to play the game the way I wanted to, but there is no way I'd be prepared to do that with real money in the live game, and I doubt many other people would either.

I very much doubt Trion will balance things so that patrons cannot play the game without frequent purchases from the cash shop. LP pots will probably be something people will only need on rare occasions, not daily, or even weekly. That would be the kiss of death to the game and Trion obviously knows that.

The sky isn't falling yet.

In case you missed it. A post by Amary, Associate Producer at Trion:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...762#post192762

I posted this in response to a thread in the Alpha forums, but also wanted to surface it here for both the sake of this thread (as it directly points to one of the listed items) as well as dev tracker.

Based on the feedback and data we've seen from play on Alpha, these are the top 4 areas we're focusing on in terms of finding a balance in fun and long-term game economy for our region. By no means is this everything! The upcoming Beta event will also help add to our data on how a brand new servers shake out with the current rates.

- Overall drop rate/entry of Archeum into the economy
    - Labor costs on acquiring loot or quest rewards
    - Tuning of gilda stars received from intercontinental trade routes
    - Overall labor regeneration for Patrons (especially offline vs. online)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    Am I wrong or would the Pirate faction just be able to fuck up unwatched farms/lands?
    Incorrect. As long as a farm/house/whatever is paid for to date with tax certificates, that land is immune to being fucked with.

An aside: Pirate faction actually feels more like a punishment than a separate faction. We had a few people "accidentally" go pirate in Alpha (we were originally planning this for Beta, but OT/Ellohime/Cohh made too good of a target to resist) and they said with how much of the game is locked out to you, it's more worth staying with the main factions and keeping your infamy down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombur View Post
    In case you missed it. A post by Amary, Associate Producer at Trion:
    • The reason why Archeum is an issue right now is because the one of the Korean patches rolled in nerfed the drop rate directly in order to counter the amount that was already in the economy. Of course, this was for Korea. We got hit with an unintentional side effect.
    • Labor cost on quest rewards is ridiculous and needs to be retooled or removed entirely
    • No comment on gilda stars right now because I've only done one run, and that run is absolutely boned thanks to the amount of packs entering port because of the quest line
    • This is an issue, but even more of an issue for F2P

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seems I can't play the game due to some silly error and it won't let me install it. I keep downloading it, but it won't install. So I'm passing on my login credentials if anyone wants to take over my account for the weekend. PM me for the information if you want it just for the weekend beta.

Edit: Info taken

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Aristio View Post
    Seems I can't play the game due to some silly error and it won't let me install it. I keep downloading it, but it won't install. So I'm passing on my login credentials if anyone wants to take over my account for the weekend. PM me for the information if you want it just for the weekend beta.
    Did you download Glyph ? and what error are you getting ?

It may be as silly error like error #1035, your downloading the wrong client. Go to the top right hand corner of glyph and select NA Beta. You can check it out here :

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...e-(Error-1035)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Phoenix View Post
    After reading this last page I'm not so sure I want to play. And yeah, for the most part Rift does F2P excellently, this is just... what the fuck...
    Probably the main reason has to do with TRION being both the publisher and developer for RIFT rather than just being the publisher for ArcheAge. They also know all the ins and outs for RIFT; I'm not sure if the same thing could be said with ArcheAge. I mean TRION knows that the community did not want the 1.0 client that Russia and South Korea got, but at the same time I'm sure that XLGames is "pushing" for them to make the game tied to the cash shop in some shape or form. The thing is where is the fine line between P2W {hey you really need these items to compete in endgame and/or PVP with guild A and B competeing at similar skill levels) and not P2W but just enough to get people to use the cash shop.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

XL GAMES INTRODUCES NEW STARTING TUTORIAL ZONE

Now in the Korean version, after you create your character, you now have to go through a lengthy starting tutorial zone before you start your journey.

Going through this tutorial is suppose to help the new player get to know some of AA's features and explain to the new player that this is not another quest grind themepark. It also explains the lore so much better.

Don't know if NA/EU will have this new tutorial zone for release.(Hope it does!)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eragon Mcdohl
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Got an extra code for the current beta

HWF2-7QPJ-LG99-C77M-KX7H

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Mouse sensitivity needs serious work. I have it at max and still feels really slow.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like I missed all the giveaways.
    If anyone has an extra key, I'd greatly appreciate a PM!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Are there any good Spellsword/Battlemage (melee/magic hybrid) builds for PvE or PvP?

Since physical weapons don't have any magic attack stats, it looks like the closest you can come is either meleeing with a staff/scepter or using a sword with physical abilities and magical support (CC/effect spells, not damage ones).

Normally I play straight tank or melee, but I'm looking for something a bit lighter.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Join the bandwagon and play a mage with stealth. Seems like that's all i see running around.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    Are there any good Spellsword/Battlemage (melee/magic hybrid) builds for PvE or PvP?

Since physical weapons don't have any magic attack stats, it looks like the closest you can come is either meleeing with a staff/scepter or using a sword with physical abilities and magical support (CC/effect spells, not damage ones).

Normally I play straight tank or melee, but I'm looking for something a bit lighter.
    Hybrids are terrible in this game. In PvE it may be fine, but once you start hitting PvP areas (level 30+), do not try to go with two different damage types. You'll find yourself gankbait real quick.

That being said, there are nodachis that do have magic attack, but the route to get one is a royal pain in the ass.

If you intend on rolling solo, specs worth looking into:
    Stone Arrow (Archery/Shadowplay/Defense)
    Blighter (Battlerage/Defense/Shadowplay)
    Skull Knight (Occultism/Defense/Auramancy)
    Reaper (Sorcery/Occultism/Shadowplay)
    Daggerspell (Sorcery/Witchcraft/Shadowplay)
    Elegist (Sorcery/Songcraft/Shadowplay)
    Darkrunner (Battlerage/Shadowplay/Auramancy)

It's when you start rolling with a small group that you can start making alterations to fit a group comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Join the bandwagon and play a mage with stealth. Seems like that's all i see running around.
    That's until you start dealing with the army of archers and the oddball Blighter or Darkrunner.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Hybrids are terrible in this game. In PvE it may be fine, but once you start hitting PvP areas (level 30+), do not try to go with two different damage types. You'll find yourself gankbait real quick.
    It isn't exactly good in PvE, either. That's why I mentioned one damage type and magic-y stuff to support it (or the opposite, but for some reason I don't like robes and a staff). Originally, my post mentioned it didn't have to be actual magical abilities, but perhaps ones that were more than beating stuff in the face with my sword, shield, and boot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    If you intend on rolling solo, specs worth looking into:
    Stone Arrow (Archery/Shadowplay/Defense)
    Blighter (Battlerage/Defense/Shadowplay)
    Skull Knight (Occultism/Defense/Auramancy)
    Reaper (Sorcery/Occultism/Shadowplay)
    Daggerspell (Sorcery/Witchcraft/Shadowplay)
    Elegist (Sorcery/Songcraft/Shadowplay)
    Darkrunner (Battlerage/Shadowplay/Auramancy)

It's when you start rolling with a small group that you can start making alterations to fit a group comp.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at some of these.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Was a fun weekend test, enough so that I'm trying to talk myself into a founder pack. I like the gold pack a lot more than silver, but 100 bones is a little steep for a game you don't have to buy an initial copy of. I took a quick look at the credits store and saw a lot of neat things to burn them on, but not a lot that I feel I would use regularly. I also haven't really been keeping up with the game so I didn't really know all the ins and outs of the game and classes... But like Ald said, there are still a good number of rough edges (the chat box is frustratingly annoying).