BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Tomb Raider

Looking a little beat up there Lara.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2m2vndl.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2yynvcl.jpg

Another reboot is exactly what we needed guys.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/06/to...game-informer/

As we theorized last month, the January issue of Game Informer will, indeed, be showing off the latest iteration in the Tomb Raider series called, simply, Tomb Raider. Details are scarce, but we know it features Lara's first adventure in which she must struggle to stay alive (hence "A Survivor is Born," the tag line used to tease the release). You can see the rough-looking Lara after the break.

Though Darrell Gallagher, head of Crystal Dynamics, says we should "forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider" and that this is "an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other," it's not clear if this is a relaunch or just an origin story that takes place in the series' already pretty convoluted time line. Heck, we don't even know platforms, though PC, PS3 and 360 seem like safe bets. Soon as we all get our hands on the new GI, we'll hopefully all know much more.

As for the new, stripped down title, Gallagher said "We know there is a blog that has a significant games database that relies on individual tags for each game title, and we like making things hard on them." ... OK, he didn't say that. But you know he was thinking it.
    http://tombraider.com/

New Odin
    BG Level

Hmm, I like her new looks over the old design.

I hope they'll make it a bit like Uncharted 2

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Do not approve of character model.

I'm on the fence on this, I like the tomb raider play style, if they screw that up wtf was the point of this?

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

For the first time since Playstation1, Tomb Raider looks interesting...

Ridill
    BG Level

I have never played a Tomb Raider game.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That actually looks quite sexy :D

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

The first details on Square Enix’s upcoming Tomb Raider reboot — announced earlier today — have made their way out of the latest issue of Game Informer. The game, still yet to be dated, stars a shipwrecked 21 year-old Lara Croft.

Tomb Raider is a reboot of the franchise, yes, but it’s also a reboot of the brand, the magazine reveals. It offers players a choice of path; Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher told the magazine: “You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided.”

Lara will become a “hardened survivor,” says director Noah Hughes. She’ll pick up various talents, tools, and supplies as the player progresses through the game, opening new paths previously inaccessible due to Lara’s lack of skill or equipment.

And Lara sounds like she’s getting some skill system, too. The game will feature base camps where the player can combine and create items or upgrade Lara’s skill-set. These camps can also be used for fast travel, saving the player precious time and effort.

Survival isn’t all easy, though. Lara will have to stock up on food and water in order to survive. She’ll have to defend her life in other ways, too. I’m talking about firearms. Crystal Dynamics wouldn’t say much on what types of weapons we’ll see, but a piece of concept art in the magazine clearly reveals a pistol, shotgun, and bow. Lara will utilize weapons like these in the game’s new free-aim system, whereas the old games had a lock-on system. Crystal Dynamics says it can now compete with its competitors.

Failure to properly defend Lara results in brutal deaths. One death described in the preview sees a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest, then closes her eyes as she lays dead. Another has a boulder crushing Lara’s leg and — trapped — is followed by another boulder crushing her head. Ouch!
    http://scrawlfx.com/2010/12/tomb-rai...-first-details

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I have never played a Tomb Raider game.
    Shame, as they're nearly unplayable by today's standards. They were great platformers/puzzle-solvers back in the hey-day, at least on PC. Fuck the PSX releases with the limited save-crystal bullshit.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Loving the new look. Hopefully the game delivers... will keep eyes pealed.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Hmm, I like her new looks over the old design.

I hope they'll make it a bit like Uncharted 2
    You mean Dude Raider?

I'm actually pretty interested what they can do on newer systems with a fresh group, TR was damn cool when it first launched.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Really dig the new Lara's design, but I'm not exactly sure I like the info about gameplay - lots of weird additions I'm not sure I'll like D: But we'll see how they develop that.

New Odin
    BG Level

She looks so awesome now, I really dig the new not so over-the-top design.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

My friend works for Crystal Dynamics, time to ask him to leak me some info lol

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Looks interesting, didn't think a reboot was needed though tbh. Crystal Dynamics have done a good job since they took over, Legend/Anniversary/Underworld were all good games imo. Still, I welcome it with open arms if it ends up being anywhere near as good as Uncharted 1/2.
    Edit: Even though it's just DLC and not a main TR, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was received well and was alot of fun, hopefully they can get it right with the main series aswell, now that SE is in charge of things

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Her new looks are definitely welcomed with open arms. Seems like everything's being rebooted these days...

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.c...2/laratall.jpg

She looks a lot like:

Which I fuckin approve. Amg... <3

Really hope they don't over-hype then botch this and it turns into survival (horror?) Uncharted or something better. \o/

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

love the news design too

Pet peeve: "Reboot" has no meaning in videogames. It hardly has any meaning in movies. I hate buzzwords, but I think I especially hate movie buzzwords. I shouldn't be surprised it will be American companies who bring that into gaming lexicon. It is too enticing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast