• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

Looking for help with a SSD + HDD setup

Let me start by saying that I'm computer largely illiterate and recently bought a prebuilt rig with a SSD for boot ups and a HDD for storage. The problem I'm having is that it's running windows 7 64 bit which seems to cause a lot more issues in changing the install path as changing the registry doesn't change the default drive. Every page I pull up on google tells me a different thing, so I figured I'd ask here.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I posted a similar problem. "Managing SSD" if you care to do a search. I also spent countless hours looking for info and found a lot but was afraid to mess with the registry.
    So, I found a guide that had the least registry tweaking and worked from there.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-...secondary.html

Note, the first time I did this process I figured not formatting my storage HDD would matter but I was wrong. Make sure you back up anything you have then reformat and make sure the registry is cleaned.
    Might take you a couple of tries but so far I haven't had any problems. Now as far as uninstalling programs that's another problem on its own . Some don't come with an uninstall tool and you have to pretty much completely
    clear the registry.

I also assume there is a way to mess with the registry to change the HDD path from "C: to whatever:," but, It grew on me and I
    rather do it manually. Hope that helps, that is, if you haven't tried already!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't you want the benefit of the SSD read/seek times when running games and applications? If you get a 128gb SSD that should be more than enough space to hold a good amount of games and applications, while keeping media on a separate drive. Yeah, it can get tight if you play a bunch of MMOs but I've never had a problem keeping 20-30 gigs free under those conditions.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Ok, changing install directories on 64bit gets tedious and can cause a lot of problems since it;s mostly registry edits. Make sure you backup an image of your ssd onto your other hdd before messing with anything.

You are much better off changing install directories yourself when prompted. i.e. manually doing it when installing something. I have found this the easiest method. I make a folder on my 2nd or 3rd hdd called Programs or Apps or whatever and everything except for a few programs, a game or 2, and wndows end up on those folders. Make sure to change the location of all those folder librarys like music/pics/etc.

also: http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-your-ssd.html

DAKPluto

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this. Wouldn't you want the benefit of the SSD read/seek times when running games and applications? If you get a 128gb SSD that should be more than enough space to hold a good amount of games and applications, while keeping media on a separate drive. Yeah, it can get tight if you play a bunch of MMOs but I've never had a problem keeping 20-30 gigs free under those conditions.
    Most MMO will have little benefit running a SSD. #1 bottleneck on them is more internet than anything. Ya, if you really want to run FFXI at eye numbing resolutions and what not it's ok
    but the actual gameplay really won't be affected much. XIV is new enough and graphic intensive enough to maybe see a difference though.

But I have no issues myself keeping most MMOs on HDD. Better to keep the more intensive games on SSD.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by DAKPluto View Post
    Most MMO will have little benefit running a SSD. #1 bottleneck on them is more internet than anything. Ya, if you really want to run FFXI at eye numbing resolutions and what not it's ok
    but the actual gameplay really won't be affected much. XIV is new enough and graphic intensive enough to maybe see a difference though.

But I have no issues myself keeping most MMOs on HDD. Better to keep the more intensive games on SSD.
    Erm, MMOs are one of those games where you're going to see the most improvements. All those textures are stored on your computer. You've never experienced standing in the same spot with 100 people in close range and only 40 are there and the others are slowly popping up? They will load much more faster on an SSD. (This includes monsters loading faster also, but any mmo worth it's shit will give priority to loading something targeted, then monsters, then people.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Ok, changing install directories on 64bit gets tedious and can cause a lot of problems since it;s mostly registry edits. Make sure you backup an image of your ssd onto your other hdd before messing with anything.

You are much better off changing install directories yourself when prompted. i.e. manually doing it when installing something. I have found this the easiest method. I make a folder on my 2nd or 3rd hdd called Programs or Apps or whatever and everything except for a few programs, a game or 2, and wndows end up on those folders. Make sure to change the location of all those folder librarys like music/pics/etc.[/url]
    +1

That's how I handle it.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My current SSD is 2x 40's in raid0. I have WoW as well as BlackOps on it, Itunes, Firefox/chrome, and only one or 2 other programs for snappyness (as well as windows, of course).

Pictures/docs/music/movies/bullshit programs like xfire aim speedfan msiafterburner, all programs that I don't need/want to be snappy and instant are on my 7200rpm HDD. I have a 3rd 10,000RPM 150gb raptor with 100+gb of steam games on it as well.

It's much easier for me to manually install something to D: instead of C:, I've tried following guides posted on the internet and whatnot about how to change it so it automatically installs shit to D:, tried moving my User folder to a different drive etc, and have had MAJOR problems requiring me to use the backed up image I had (very time consuming).

Also, I absolutely love having my MMO on my SSD, and I just put a 64gb ssd in my sisters PC today for the same thing. The term we like is "snappy", if you have an application or game that you want to run snappier, toss it on the SSD. Just remember one very important thing. The SSD is for Reading, it is not meant to be constantly written to. Put just the shit you need on it, and stop writing to it. Turn off defrag and indexing and whatnot. Do not constantly write and add programs to it.