• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Some fullscreen programs instantly minimize and won't let me open them

I'm basically a computer noob when it comes to some stuff so I'm confused on this. What happens is when I try to fullscreen a program, or try to run a fullscreen program, it will appear for 1-2 seconds and then minimize itself. If I try to open it back up via Alt+Tab, Task Manager, or by clicking it on the task bar, it will open and then re-minimize itself again.

This used to only happen with WoW and it would resolve itself after a few tries, but now I can't seem to get them to run.

Computer
    TOSHIBA Qosmio X305
    Windows Vista Home Premium - Service pack 2 - 64 bit
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS

Things I've tried
    Running a Norton scan - Turned on silent mode as well
    Running an Ad-Aware scan
    Google searching
    Checking Task Manager for "suspicious" processes - Though my knowledge of them is small, I looked for anything that stood out
    Running affected programs as Administrator

Programs affected
    World of Warcraft
    Project 64 (N64 emulator) - I used to be able to run this without difficulty until today

Programs not affected
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    ZSNES (SNES emulator)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Does it continue after a reboot? First thing that comes to mind is either a function key, alt, or control is getting stuck. Try tapping those keys and see if it continues happening.

I've seen this happen when trying to type because a combo of the above keys + a letter are assigned shortcuts .

Do you use skype or folding @ home? If so close them and see if it works. If it does work, I'll provide the fix.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Don't have skype or folding @ home. Went through and tapped all of my function keys, ctrl, alt, and now it seemingly works. When I was tapping the keys they didn't feel like they were stuck or anything so maybe it is just a coincidence that the problem went away... or maybe that was the cause.

Regardless, thanks for the help. If I encounter the problem again I will try tapping the keys, then a reboot if that doesn't work, and then post a reply if still nothing.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

Happened again so I restarted. After the restart everything was okay so I closed out WoW, re-opened it, and it minimized itself. Closed it out again, re-opened it again, and then it was fine. O____o

Before when I tried closing and re-opening it didn't change anything so... dunno what is going on.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Melchoir View Post
    Happened again so I restarted. After the restart everything was okay so I closed out WoW, re-opened it, and it minimized itself. Closed it out again, re-opened it again, and then it was fine. O____o

Before when I tried closing and re-opening it didn't change anything so... dunno what is going on.
    Are the minimizes only happening while you type? Or can you not even be touching the keyboard and it happens?

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Shu'halo

There is no input from the mouse or keyboard (at least none that I am doing) before it minimizes itself.

Code:
    Open program
    Wait for it to fullscreen
    Did it minimize after 2-5~ seconds?
    -Yes
    --Click program at taskbar
    --Game opens and then re-minimizes itself quickly
    -No
    --Game will not minimize itself as long as it stays fullscreen
    --If I alt+tab I may run into the same minimizing issue when I try to go back to it