We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm... still cautiously optimistic. What little videos of the game I've seen have gotten me looking forward to it (Granted.. for the better part of half a decade..).

I think what really gets me is the characters look fun to play. I haven't really been into FF characters since what... Six? The gameplay looks pretty fun too.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Charismatic keeps promising me that this game is going to be good. I really like what I've been seeing so far too. What really hinges on my purchase though is that the battle system needs to feel good. If they provide a playable demo before the game launches I will try it and if it's enough to sell me on it, consider the game purchased.

I kind of agree with Kadaj that the whole cast is looking good to me.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Another thing I've heard pointed out, for those of us who don't feel too great about the "futuristic city" feel we've seen so far:

The main city we've seen is the only place in the game's world with a crystal, so it's far more developed than anywhere else. Maybe we will see something like FFVII, where there's Midgar and everything else.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

The one thing (seriously, there's only one: a bunch of bishies wearing suits standing around looking male-moe isn't my idea of a good time, but Japan's gonna Japan) that I'm interested in is the possibility of having a larger cast of active main characters due to the PS4's increased power. Now I will give SE credit: shitty character design and personality development aside, SE is pretty damned good at continuing to try to innovate the actual combat side of things. They've tried something different in each game, and having something like 6-8 people running all over the place and throwing tanks and shit, while having some sort of hybrid AI command system ala-XIII would be a lot of fun. A little tactical fighting amidst all the chaos.

I'm most interested in the combat side, and I hope there is still room for level-grinding in some fashion. I'm not a fan of LR's grinding without strength increases until you hand some NPC 30 eyes of newt and bat furs.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    Another thing I've heard pointed out, for those of us who don't feel too great about the "futuristic city" feel we've seen so far:

The main city we've seen is the only place in the game's world with a crystal, so it's far more developed than anywhere else. Maybe we will see something like FFVII, where there's Midgar and everything else.
    The mixture of dystopian cyber-nightmare, Animu hairstyles and gigantic swords is going to look sillier and sillier as both the graphical fidelity of character modeling and rate of 'oh hey we have that on Earth too' moments go up. It looks extremely bad in XIII and seeing it in XV is not encouraging. First you see Noctis at a high end Vegas nightclub from 4026 A.D., then after his limo ride he's swinging spears at dudes in tin plate helmets and chainmail. It's veering into self-parody. The lead cast no longer resembles human beings. I keep seeing cosplayers instead of believable protagonists.

Mind you this has been a trend since the PS2 days, but at least they weren't driving limos and wearing Prada in Spira or Ivalice.

I sure hope they aren't lying about the combat with trailers this time, eh?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I'm optimistic about XV because the whole "i want this game to fail! remake ffvii now!" mentality is stupid as shit to me. Having said that, I would fucking hope the game is far in development considering the shit was damn near vaporware. How about an actual demo of someone playing it.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

I agree, but that's Final Fantasy for you. It hasn't really ever not been like that, it just looks stupider now that the graphics are better. What I'm really hoping to see is some nice open-world shit with fantasy elements, but I won't hold my breath.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I don't get the logic of "I want x game to fail so x company gets their act together!" Why would that be a thing?
    It's not even that, to be honest. The sales figures are starting to show a trend that either the demographic is changing, fans are not liking the product, or both. There is a pretty extreme difference in development strategies and philosophy between even 2005 Square Enix and 2014 Square Enix. Yeah, some of it is industry changes and hardware changes, but there is a noticed change in product "quality" (let's not even call it quality, lets just say it is a shift) even taking that into consideration that sales are starting to bear out. There is a point that even the brand of "Final Fantasy" won't survive when they do one HD remake or sequel fest too many and I don't see that as very far off.

I understand the foray into phones and tablets, but there is only so long you can fiddle there before even that money begins to stagnate.

Do I want more of the FF Tactics, 6, Secret of Mana, Chrono titles of the past? Yes! But I would be perfectly fine with less belts, less cutting room floor sequels, and less cobbled together sequels to sequels as long as they throw a little creativity and risk into it. Yeah I know Lightning Returns does that, but try it with a mainline or off-shoot title with an original concept and not a built in following.

If XV becomes that, then awesome! If it turns into another Lightning deal... You gotta take a risk sometime Square or you will be eclipsed by the Atlus's, Level 5's, Monolith's, and Namco's.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    I'm most interested in the combat side, and I hope there is still room for level-grinding in some fashion. I'm not a fan of LR's grinding without strength increases until you hand some NPC 30 eyes of newt and bat furs.
    If it's anything like the latter KH games (KH2 and BBS mainly), then I'll be happy. While I enjoy Lightning Returns, I do agree, not the biggest fan of it compared to other FF's. The trailers make FFXV look more action RPG oriented, and considering both games are headed by Nomura, I'm sure he'll have some fun battle system in place.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

that footage of FFXIII was pretty early on in its development and so it changed a lot from that point.
    anyone who has played the FFXIII demo will also know that the battle system wasn't even finalized by that point (launch wasnt an automatic ability, can you imagine that >_>) and they probably tweaked it all the way to the end (i personally think they didnt tweak it enough).
    XIII-2 is still my preferred version of the CTB battle system.

XV definitely looks like its going to go the way of Lightning Returns.. but will probably take a slightly less tactical ARPG approach because you do get 2 support characters with you that are likely automated to some extent. I see more KH in XV than LR:XIII.

One thing I think sucked about XIII was that sub-character AI was pretty much limited to paradigms.. and XIIs gambit system was far superior. Another thing that sucked was only playing 1 character in battle and not being able to switch on the fly. Once again XII (and XIII-2) were superior in that aspect.

If its pure action style, then i'd appreciate if i could pick the characters I want to use at some point in the game, where the playstyle is something i prefer somehow. I wonder if Prompto will still get his crosshair mode

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    It's not even that, to be honest. The sales figures are starting to show a trend that either the demographic is changing, fans are not liking the product, or both.
    It has? FFXIII was a massive hit sales wise. XIII-2 and LR selling less makes sense because they are not main title FF. A main title FF will sell shitloads just from the name. If it is really good on top of that it'll be even better. So I'm not really sure what sales figures you are talking about that are relevant to FFXV.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    I agree, but that's Final Fantasy for you. It hasn't really ever not been like that, it just looks stupider now that the graphics are better. What I'm really hoping to see is some nice open-world shit with fantasy elements, but I won't hold my breath.
    ARR is the closest thing to that at this point. At the very least, there isn't a ton of bishie-with-K&G-suits going around.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I'm optimistic about XV because the whole "i want this game to fail! remake ffvii now!" mentality is stupid as shit to me. Having said that, I would fucking hope the game is far in development considering the shit was damn near vaporware. How about an actual demo of someone playing it.
    Yeah, agreed. Why can't we hope the game is amazing and sells well? Or hope that this becomes the new gold standard for FFs. Or hope that this game comes out before next gen (not PS4/XBone, but PS5/XBtwo).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    ARR is the closest thing to that at this point. At the very least, there isn't a ton of bishie-with-K&G-suits going around.
    Bro:

Also bro:
    Spoiler: show

That's all you need dawg, its not all bishies... got somethin for everyone.

Hell, there's only 2 pretty boy faces on here.

Spoiler: show

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It'd be so easy for them to make an ungodly amount of money while striking a homerun with critics for an FF game. All they'd need to do is make a properly meaningful story with a pair of powerful leads, wrap it up in FF graphics, put it in a world that is easily identifiable (FFVI, FFVII, FFX), give it a proper leveling and job/class structure with customization (even the FFX International sphere grid wasn't bad, but I'd prefer more customization in character appearance - sidenote: leave the FFX-2 and FFXIII Halloween customes at home), an ATB system with a twist (note: they just did this with Bravely Default), decent non-linear story with forks, branches, sidequests, some hard as fuck optional dungeons and monsters, as much open-endedness as possible. Ship it with a Nobuo soundtrack and you've got something every gamer on earth would jizz controllably for.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    It'd be so easy for them to make an ungodly amount of money while striking a homerun with critics for an FF game. All they'd need to do is make a properly meaningful story with a pair of powerful leads, wrap it up in FF graphics, put it in a world that is easily identifiable (FFVI, FFVII, FFX), give it a proper leveling and job/class structure with customization (even the FFX International sphere grid wasn't bad, but I'd prefer more customization in character appearance - sidenote: leave the FFX-2 and FFXIII Halloween customes at home), an ATB system with a twist (note: they just did this with Bravely Default), decent non-linear story with forks, branches, sidequests, some hard as fuck optional dungeons and monsters, as much open-endedness as possible. Ship it with a Nobuo soundtrack and you've got something every gamer on earth would jizz controllably for.
    2 things though.
    BD is in no way ATB, its just straight turn-based and the second thing is SE didn't even develop it. Credit goes to Silicon Studio.
    That's probably why it was a good game.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Another English VA revealed; Katy Townsend
    Looks like Square Enix is already working or at least planning the English voice acting of the upcoming JRPG Final Fantasy XV.

Voice Actress Katy Townsend listed “various” roles in the game as part of her resume, as discovered by NeoGAF user Exentryk. Olivia Hack and Greg Berg are now also listed for the title by IMDb, even if it’s worth mentioning that IMDb is a much less reliable source than an actor’s own resume.

Miss Townsend’s resume also lists Chris Borders as Voice Casting Director, which probably means that voice work will be performed by world leading voice over production company TikiMan Productions, of which Borders is CEO.

TikiMan Productions previously worked on several AAA games like Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, the whole Gears of War series, Lost Odyssey, Dragon Age: Origins and the Baldur’s Gate saga.

The fact that English voice actors are already being selected could definitely mean that the game may be nearer to completion than many expect. It might also indicate a possible simultaneous worldwide release. It wouldn’t be the first time for Square Enix.
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/...cting-surface/
    http://static.squarespace.com/static...20T_Resume.pdf
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773747
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960140/...=tt_cl_sm#cast

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

English voice actors is definitely a good sign.

Would jizz my pants if it had a simultaneous worldwide release, but I'm not too hopeful about that. But I'll take any release at this point lol

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    English voice actors is definitely a good sign.

Would jizz my pants if it had a simultaneous worldwide release, but I'm not too hopeful about that. But I'll take any release at this point lol
    Same here, lol. If FFXIII-3 is any indication, and even FFXIV to an extent, then simultaneous release might not be too far-fetched. I just re-watched the 2 latest trailers for this game the other night. And despite knowing the final product may not match those trailers at all, my hype-meter went into overload

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

New website: http://www.finalfantasyxv.com/