Closed Thread
Page 43 of 285 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Hhhhnnnngggg
    I like that the quote suggests that FF games have usually followed X/XIII's linear corridor route.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    Once is chance, twice is coincidence. When Nomura gets removed, we can call it a pattern.

Didn't the original director of 12 catch the plague or something? Wada got kidney stones or the bird flu. Maybe Nomura exits with Ebola.
    tbh tough he should go, his designs are starting to look dull and repetitiv.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I like that the quote suggests that FF games have usually followed X/XIII's linear corridor route.
    Yeah I found that a bit silly as well, when every game from FF1 - FF9 had been open world and then the transition from PS1 era to PS2 it had suddenly been about corridors, FF12 kinda brought back a feel of an "open world" but was more about cutting the world up into chunks kinda like how 11 and 14-2 kinda handle the game, cutting out a lot of the immersion of being in a big epic world with zones.

Going forward I'd like to think that was due to previous gen hardware limitations. Maybe I'm way too hopeful that this generation of RPG's will propel itself to near/full open world. Almost seems like it though. Witcher, Zelda, FF15, anything Bethesda.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The "open world" concept was such a ruse though. Sure, you can travel to whatever city you wanted (After progressing the story quite a long ways and unlocking an airship which happened usually near the end of the game anyway) but progressing the story required you to go on a very specific pathway. Not to say it wasn't bad that they changed away from that style with the PS2 and onwards, but it's not all that overwhelmingly fantastic as some people (not specifically you) make it.

Also

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh god. Looks like this game has been done before and SE will be involved in a lot law trouble.

Spoiler: show

Simpsons did it!

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Going forward I'd like to think that was due to previous gen hardware limitations. Maybe I'm way too hopeful that this generation of RPG's will propel itself to near/full open world. Almost seems like it though. Witcher, Zelda, FF15, anything Bethesda.
    Pretty much this. I'm someone that lamented lacking overworlds in the PS2 era, but occasionally you got them in games like Wild Arms 3. But a good example of the PS2 being taxed in the overworld would be Tales of the Abyss, where aside from loading times, you'd have things like spawned mobs popping up white because of textures or just general fog of war crap on the map. Basically, 2D maps were easy. 3D, rotating ones... not so much. Then one has to consider scale. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    The "open world" concept was such a ruse though. Sure, you can travel to whatever city you wanted (After progressing the story quite a long ways and unlocking an airship which happened usually near the end of the game anyway) but progressing the story required you to go on a very specific pathway. Not to say it wasn't bad that they changed away from that style with the PS2 and onwards, but it's not all that overwhelmingly fantastic as some people (not specifically you) make it.
    Some RPGs did open world better than others, which is true even of games that people consider "real" open world games. Open world is just another way of saying sandbox which is another way of saying don't tell me what to do.

Generally this works in some games, but for RPGs it tends to have limitations just so people can experience the story properly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Isn't 2 years about the time frame it was reported that Nomura wanted to turn XV into a musical after seeing Les Miserables?

Kinda makes you think how many execs hit the panic button during that meeting.

The guy just isn't cut out to be a director of such a massive title. He was a great character designer and above average story teller that was forced to repeat his style way too many times in too quick a fashion. After KH3 I will not be surprised to see him join something like Shinra streaming service and do easier/less involved digital titles until finally deciding to go "freelance".

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

as far as FFs go none of them are truly open world and its quite difficult to convey an engaging story or its urgency when u can do whatever whenever.. its always generally been that you can do a whole bunch of exploration until you reach the next plot destination/event.. (apart from the online FFs anyway). that said FF13 really went the exact opposite end of the spectrum with its corridor maps.. tho they did seem to explore various degrees of open world rather well with 13-2 and LR:FF13.

it might seem rather ironic too then, that if FF15 goes the route of open world and the storyline doesnt have to flow in a certain order, its actually more true to the original FF than any other FF game... because in FF1 you dont have to defeat the 4 fiends in a specific order (after lich iirc) and even in Lich's story arc you can approach the various quest lines in pretty much any order.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Isn't 2 years about the time frame it was reported that Nomura wanted to turn XV into a musical after seeing Les Miserables?

Kinda makes you think how many execs hit the panic button during that meeting.

The guy just isn't cut out to be a director of such a massive title. He was a great character designer and above average story teller that was forced to repeat his style way too many times in too quick a fashion. After KH3 I will not be surprised to see him join something like Shinra streaming service and do easier/less involved digital titles until finally deciding to go "freelance".
    He's done a great job directing the KH series (Which have been huge blockbusters for SE and probably the reason why they gave him a shot at versus/XV in the first place). But while both KH and FF are done by SE, fundamentally they're very different series. Yeah, sure, both are RPG's and both have FF characters in them, but I agree with you, doing something like a musical FF just doesn't seem like a good idea (as a main, numerical game, not a handheld spin-off >_>). But adding music and a plethora of creativity that isn't suited for a FF game is just fine in KH. In KH2, the entire Little Mermaid world was a musical rhythm game. And it worked great lol. And given that KH isn't just FF but Disney too, it just allows for much broader creativity in terms of worlds and themes and etc, even in an individual title.

What I mean by that is that each new world in KH (each Disney/KH realm) can easily be catered to a certain theme. Futuristic? Tron/Radiant Gardens. Fantasy and Knights? A plethora of disney worlds. Music? A plethora of disney worlds. Etc, etc, etc. Where as FF titles more or less pick their theme and stick with it throughout. FF7; Technology vs Nature. 8; The past coming to try and take over the future. 9; Medieval fantasy story of conquest. Etc, etc. KH's allows for broader focus, where as FF is best suited for a central theme is what I'm trying to say.

So I agree when you. I don't think he's suited to directing FF titles. But having someone else in charge of KH? No thanks. If Nomura gets pinned down to just directing the KH series while being a creative designer/producer for FF games (sort of like what he has been throughout his career anyway), then I'd be quite happy.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

Brace yourself, casual is coming: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...gn=socialoomph

"Another example is in the combat," explains Tabata. "With the hardware specifications of the newer consoles, it's possible to set it up so you have different enemies and different choices of attacks you can enter in, but I want to simplify that. It'll basically be a one-button action, and the AI intuitively outputs an action that kind of satisfies, gives you that instant gratification, and it connects with the simple touch of a button. I myself am not getting any younger. I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons. I also want to utilise the intelligence of the hardware spec, and not have to go through too much hassle or trouble in order to execute moves."

Don't worry it'll get better in XV-2: Our Redemption.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Maybe they missed a "on easy mode" sentence? I was doubting they could make a 15 hour boss fight enjoyable in any way, but that description makes it sound even less likely. I'm getting tired of games being so easy and hard mode being more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    as far as FFs go none of them are truly open world and its quite difficult to convey an engaging story or its urgency when u can do whatever whenever.. its always generally been that you can do a whole bunch of exploration until you reach the next plot destination/event.. (apart from the online FFs anyway). that said FF13 really went the exact opposite end of the spectrum with its corridor maps.. tho they did seem to explore various degrees of open world rather well with 13-2 and LR:FF13.
    Are you forgetting every world map and airship that existed? FFXIII-2 wasn't open world, it was just a portal hub that allowed you to do story sections that barely even linked up without any cohesive way to travel between maps other than the hub. Any important event that drove the story forward was done linearly. LR I will say has the most though, but sacrifices story (not to mention, like XIII-2 anything that drove the story forward always happened at the same point) to allow you a bit of freedom in tackling areas in whatever order. Most FF games I can think of have open-world elements, allowing you a break from the main story to explore and do side quests. If you think about it, most of them are like this except X and XIII, but X was far less offensive about it.

Sure there are blocks to exploration (even in LR), but even games that people normally call open world have that shit, like a section of the map blocked off until you've done enough story missions. The best examples are bethesda games (Skyrim, Fallout etc), but even those are narrowed down to a island so calling it open world is kinda confusing.

Classic RPGs have the original elements that makes modern open world games, which is the freedom to explore and tackle challenges as you find them. The differences in execution and scope change, but it's all essentially the same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    So I agree when you. I don't think he's suited to directing FF titles. But having someone else in charge of KH? No thanks. If Nomura gets pinned down to just directing the KH series while being a creative designer/producer for FF games (sort of like what he has been throughout his career anyway), then I'd be quite happy.
    Getting rid of him for KH seems stupid, since that's a series of games (like you said) where people will accept a lot of weird shit provided the core game play was fun. If someone else fucks up my KH there will be hell to pay.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

well yeah XIII-2 clearly wasnt open world but it did take a number of strong concepts of open-world style games to incorporate into its gameplay.. while its story is generally episodic and a lot of stuff is essentially gated by stuff like fragment skills.. its implementation gave you a lot of freedom that made the experience feel very open-world.. especially when u can do things like replay entire zone chapters. tho the story is still linear.. the process of playing thru it definitely is not.. since you can take a break from the main story to go back and farm monsters and do almost anything you want.. it didn't force you down the path the way XIII did.. even X didn't feel so bad because for the most part you could backtrack and do something else.

Last true open word was what? IX?

Closed Thread
Page 43 of 285 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast