• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Computer Freezes + Loud Noise from Speakers

I have been having this issue for some time now and figured its finally time to solve the problem.

I'll try to explain what I know for sure as best I can. The problem seems to occur when I am running another game or watching something in WMP Classic, in conjunction with one or more instances of FFXI. Sometimes but not all the time if I have both applications running my computer might freeze and will emit a loud static/screeching noise from the speakers. My only option so far is to reboot.

As far as I know, all of my drivers are up to date. This was the first thing I checked. Next I did a memory test and found that two of my four sticks of memory were defective, I got ride of them and have since still had issues.

I'm not sure where I should look next to fix this issue. I did some Google searches and only found posts from 2005 or topics which weren't relevant to my situation. I figured here would be a good place to start since my issues seem to emerge when I have FFXI open.

I'm running Rocker's Team Windows 7 ATI 2010 x64 right now.
    Four gigs of ram.
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

What do you think I should try next? Where should I look to figure out this problem.

Thanks in advanced. Oh and I've got a bit of the flu right now so you'll have to forgive me if my thoughts aren't completely lucid.

Thanks,

Ryalena

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

What's Rocker's Team Windows 7 ATI 2010 about? Is that like a customized distro of Win7? Seems like a red flag, but I have no idea what it is

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

What kind of 'freeze'? Do you get a BSOD? Does it just completely lock up? White screen? Does it happen more when you are dual boxing?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I don't get a white or gray screen, everything just freezes. It does happen more when I dual box, but I've had it happen many times with just one instance open.
    :edit: Also I can have a million instances of FFXI open it seems, I have access to five different accounts and have had them all running seamlessly without the error I'm describing. But as soon as WMPC is involved things get shaky and freeze up.

I would doubt that its the Rocker's Team version of windows that is causing it. The programmers at Rockers Team do a wonderful job customizing different OS, their not pirated systems either, they require a code just like any other genuine version of Windows.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Why not use VNC? WMP is bloatware and you should never use it.

More than likely what's happening is that it hogs all your resources; crashes FFXI then your computer.

Well you have a team has messed with the OS, whether you like it or not that is most likely the problem. I don't care how great a programmer is, when it comes to messing with an OS the littles thing can cause these kinds of errors. So to fix the problem, get a normal version of Win7 or stop using WMPC, there are a lot of other things out there that you can play your media with.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Try this - Go into your device manager and disable the ATI/AMD HDMI Audio Device (or whatever it's called). I had problems with that thing ever since they started including it with the Radeon driver updates.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Try this - Go into your device manager and disable the ATI/AMD HDMI Audio Device (or whatever it's called). I had problems with that thing ever since they started including it with the Radeon driver updates.
    If she does this, and using an HDTV/HD monitor connected via HDMI, she won't get audio output.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I used to always use VLC Player, not sure why I ever stopped, hopefully it's a resource issues. If not I'll try disabling the HDMI Audio Device and go from there.

Thanks

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Use VNC always. It doesn't hog resources and plays almost every kind of file.

Try doing what you normally would have freezing problems with VNC instead of WMP, then post back here with your results.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wait, VNC or VLC? I know about VLC but I can't seem to find much on google about it except for remote control software.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

He meant VLC.

And I second Yabby comment.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ryalena View Post
    Wait, VNC or VLC? I know about VLC but I can't seem to find much on google about it except for remote control software.
    VLC*

My fault, I'm in the office to much.