+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How was it difficult to understand? Niggas be dum.

I don't think it was difficult to understand, but I didn't like it. The so called "RPG elements" of Demon's Souls are the least interesting parts. Unsurprisingly.

Translated 4gamer interview: (Just going to quote the whole thing since this is only a summery or something, and very short)

I'm not going to translate the entire interview because it's huge, if someone else wants to tackle it, feel free and I'll add it to the OP. Meanwhile I'll just highlight the most interesting questions which should kick off some good discussion issues.

Where is Demon's Souls 2?

- 4Gamer asks directly why Dark Souls is not Demon's Souls 2. Miyazaki says that it would be a lie if he says that he never wanted to make a sequel in the first place. Instead various things happened, and they ended up having to make a brand new IP. He is thankful that happened though, because this allowed him to be more creative and to make improvements which change things without feeling the need to conform too much to a defined franchise.

Is Bandai Namco Games going to ruin the game with crossovers and DLC?

- 4Gamer wants to know if Bandai Namco characters will be showing up in the game since they're collaborating. Miyazaki flat out denies this and says the world is incompatible with crossovers in this way, and it would not fit the game.

- 4Gamer then presses on the issue, and asks if From Software will be doing tons of DLC for the game since Bandai Namco is involved in some way. Miyazaki says that he hasn't really thought much about actual DLC content so far, but he doesn't rule it out. What he does rule out specifically is that they will not be selling items or cheats. They will never put out DLC which gives the player an option of paying to get something other than working for it in the game itself. Instead, DLC will only be considered if it fits into the online design and engine of the game, in a way where it is actually interesting to explore such an option.

Is Dark Souls now just an Oblivion knock-off?

- 4Gamer also quizzed the director on whether being a fully seamless world, that Dark Souls would be an open world game like Oblivion. Miyazaki says that the style of the game is very different from Oblivion, and it won't be the sort of open filler exploration world. Instead the concept is to create fully integrated dungeons and to link them to each other in a seamless way. In other words, it will be no different from how Demon's Souls have various stages and parts of stages, but this time they will all be connection seamlessly instead.

Improvements and expansions to the Demon's Souls format.

- In terms of content and play time, Miyazaki says that Demon's Souls takes players on average about 30-40 hours to complete, and contains about 40 enemy types or so. For Dark Souls, he expects the game to last about 60 hours on average, and there will be close to 100 different enemy types.

- Miyazaki outright admits that he feels that the weapon customization/upgrade system in Demon's Souls was somewhat of a failure. He says that while Japanese players seemed to be okay with the complexity and vagueness of the system, overseas players sent many feedback letters which suggested that the system was too complicated and obscure for its own good. This is bad because players cannot fully utilize the system due to their failure to properly explain things. It will be improved in Dark Souls and they are considering this aspect very carefully.

New details on the expanded multiplayer features.

- Miyazaki also sheds the most detail we've heard so far about the new multiplayer systems. For the "sharing of experiences" part, he details it as such that he wants to create the feeling of players helping each other through difficulty parts, but integrated as part of the game. In a comparison, he says he really liked the good old says where people played Dragon Quest and would share their strategies with other players, and people would talk about their different experiences through the game, and in doing so help those who are having difficulty. He says there will be more details later.

- As for the "mutual role playing" system, he wants to create a feeling where other players interact with each other throughout the game even as each player plays their own game. While there are elements of this in Demon's Souls, this system specifically wants to take both co-op play and PvP play to the next level. The example he gives here is Lord of the Rings. In LotR, Frodo discovers the One Ring, which is a valuable item, and he is tasked to keep it and protect it. That is his role. On the other hand, there are the black riders who have long searched for this valuable item throughout the world. When Frodo possesses the ring, their roles clash because of contradicting objectives. If the black rider happens to defeat Frodo and attain the ring, then he is a fortunate player who managed to get what he wants, the player who loses the ring because he failed to protect it is unfortunate...

Miyazaki's promotion.

- Miyazaki is both the director and the producer of Dark Souls, but his job role hasn't really changed. The main reason is that his producer role is as the internal producer of development in From Software, which is pretty much what he did as director anyway. The reason why he is also the producer is because at the time earlier in the project, he had to put the team together and drive development quickly to get the project off the ground. It sounds like he's really the one who made Dark Souls happen.

What's this Dark Ring trademark Bandai Namco Games made last year?

- Some fun trivia about the game title: Right before TGS 2010, the title of the game was Dark Race. The Dark Race would refer to the ones who were cursed in the game. This was going to be the real title and it even had a logo designed. But just before TGS they got feedback that it would sound incredibly racist to the western market. So Miyazaki had like 2 days to come up with a new title. He looked at the logo and said "Well if we can't use Race, let's keep the Dark." and made the placeholder title Project Dark for the announcement.

- After TGS, they took the word Dark from Project Dark to explore new title options. They decided on two titles: Dark Lord and Dark Ring. But Dark Lord was already taken as a trademark apparently, so they settled on Dark Ring instead. Unfortunately for the director, his luck with the English language is terrible, and he was informed before the start of this year that Dark Ring is also a British slang for the anus. Curses! This topic came about because 4Gamer asked him specifically about the Dark Ring trademark that Bandai Namco Games registered in Japan.

- Apparently Dark Ring was chosen because the mark of the curse on a player was that of a circle somewhere on their body. This "Dark Ring" as a sign of the curse was fitting for the title, but it's too bad that it would invoke thoughts of the anus in some people. After this, they settled on Dark Souls.

Where's my Dark Souls demo? Can I play with Japanese players this time?

- Miyazaki says there will probably not be a downloadable demo for the game, although they do plan on making the game playable at various events and playable sessions. The point he made is that the game is not one which can be easily explained or appreciated in a short period of time or in a small segment. He seems to feel that a playable demo of the game would be a waste of time for the developer and the players.

- He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon's Souls where all players could play together, and it's a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421142

Bold: LOL LOL LOL.

EDIT: Oh I guess this was posted already. Missed it.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    How was it difficult to understand? Niggas be dum.
    It didn't explain a damn thing... which is fine by me, but it also didn't explain ANYTHING about the prefixes for each weapon. Sure you can see in the stats that one might use your Magic stat to boost damage rather than Strength/Dex, but there's others like the HP/MP Regen which don't show up on the stat screens from what I saw.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh, I thought they meant that the whole process of upgrading itself was difficult to understand. But fuck me if I understand the stats screen at all--to this day even. I like the symbols and everything, but just give me "Str" "Dex" "Vit" "Mag" etc instead so I don't have to keep looking up what fucking stat I need to raise to weild something, same thing for slash resistance etc.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

<<removed due to new policy/copyright problems>>

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

HM: In terms of ways to cooperate, the number of variations has increased from Demon's Souls. But as a basis, we want to make sure that players use the network to share their experiences. There's no concept of friends, or there's no concept of voice chat. Each player will play their role in the world and there will be a way to contact each other within the game. But the obvious concept of it is not to hold hands with somebody, obviously.

The network feature for this game is designed to enhance the single-player mode. It's designed so that players playing single-player will be able to have that [new game plus] effect when playing the game. And that's something that's original for this game.

There are lots of games out there that allow people to play multiplayer or play with friends or voice chat, but that's not what we're trying to provide the user. I understand people may want multiplayer mode or people may want voice chat. But for this game, because we are trying to achieve an original sort of game standard, we have deliberately not put in any voice chat. And, again, the network system is not to support multiple people at the same time but to enhance the single-player mode.
    Very important info in there. I know tons of people wanted lobby+friends with their multiplayer. I do like the idea that they want to keep the game original by keeping out the common style of multiplayer, but having the option to jump in friend games could have been cool too. /westerner

Sea Torques
    BG Level

fucking stupid blockhead HM, but w/e ill still buy and play. maybe i can skype or something

My friend and I just used Xbox Live chat. It was kind of annoying since the 360 controllers time out and you drop out of chat after a while, but we found it much more fun that way. Not to mention it was far easier to meet up if I could tell him exactly when and where I was throwing down my Blue Stone.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gekii View Post
    fucking stupid blockhead HM, but w/e ill still buy and play. maybe i can skype or something
    All you need is me. We'll body the whole game together.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    All you need is me. We'll body the whole game together.
    </3

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sorry man. Gekii and I go back before you came into the picture. He has first dibs. You get sloppy seconds.

Online Dating DOES Work!!
    Sonic Ripoff of the Houe of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hiryo Randgris
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I was hoping for some graphical improvements in the character creation this time around, especially with the faces. Now that its going to be multiplat, i'll assume we'll have the same fallout3 faces we got in demon's souls, just now with physique editting.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Since I couldn't make my char look semi-attractive, I made her look batshit insane. Everyone should do that.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I did that also thanks to the Binded Cross armor. For Demon's souls I just use Ventrilo anyways so it doesn't matter.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This week’s Famitsu has a four-page story on Namco Bandai’s and From Software’s upcoming Dark Souls. We’ve got the scans and new details for you.

Revealed in the issue is the new “bonfire system”. As Dark Souls is an open world, and doesn’t feature a hub area like Demon’s Souls, there’s no single restoration point. In your travels, you’ll come across bonfires which will be used as a starting point if you die. Bonfires also act as an HP restoration center, and can be used to collected a substance called Est, which can be placed in jars and carried around.

When you’re connected online, you’ll be able to see images of other players. We’re assuming its functionality will be similar to Demon’s Souls, where other players are mere ghosts running around.

Enemies in Dark Souls are a lot smarter. Trying to run away by climbing up a ladder won’t work; they’ll chase you up! You can kick them down, though.

Magic is a big part of the game, as well, something not so prominent in Demon’s Souls. Players can summon an undead cursed knight named Kurogane no Kishi (Black Iron Knight) or use magic to turn themselves into iron.

Also in the magazine, a new NPC character named “Mysterious Saintly Woman,” some new enemies (Dragon Zombie), new fields (Giant Library, Submerged Ruins, Marshes), and more.
    2 Scans
    Spoiler: show

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Few new small details and some new screens.
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201..._souls_update/

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://scrawlfx.com/2011/04/dark-sou...ystem-revealed

Dark Souls in final stages, Oath system revealed
    This week’s issue of Dengeki has new details on Dark Souls, the upcoming spiritual successor to the hit PlayStation 3 role-playing game Demon’s Souls. They interview director Hidetaka Miyazaki, who sheds light on development, story, a new system, game design, and more.

Development on Dark Souls is nearing its final stage, according to Miyazaki. From Software has received plenty of fan feedback from players of the first game, and he’s very excited to be working on a game so eagerly expected by so many. Though, he does feel under a lot of pressure.

Since its announcement, we’ve only seen a trickle or two of updates. Miyazaki told the magazine that this is a very difficult game to market and that they’re trying to do it properly. Since Dark Souls is a game meant to surprise the player, they’re trying to keep a lot of things under wraps. At the same time, he doesn’t want fans to feel as if they’re not communicating, so he’s trying to find a balance between the two.

On story, Miyazaki said that even though Dark Souls has a plot, it is not driven by it. The main character is an undying hero who will come back to life no matter how many times he’s killed. He’s been cast out of regular society.

A new system, the Oath system, has been revealed. This allows players to make an oath to a person regarding something on their journey. Making an oath determines the player’s position on a certain topic, impacting interactions with other players online. Depending on the oaths players choose to make, players can end up allies or enemies with another player.

As Dark Souls is no doubt a difficult game, Miyazaki spoke a bit on world design and where to place healing items. They want to make sure they put these items in the right places so the player has to search a little to find them. That way, the player gets a genuine feeling of satisfaction after they’re found. Though, for those who’re completely stuck, the Campfire system will be used in part to create healing items.

Speaking of hard, Miyazaki feels that the game’s intense difficulty is good because it adds the value of challenge to a game.It gives the player opportunity to discover, learn and overcome their mistakes, making for a more satisfactory game. He wants Dark Souls to be considered an “intriguing game” by players.

While we’ve heard a lot on Dark Souls already, Miyazaki says that the information we know of is only about one-fifth of the total amount of details they plan on revealing before the game’s release.

Thanks, NeoGAF.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

can't fucking wait for E3 coverage of this

Ridill
    BG Level

the booby trap arrows still have the same sfx too lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 352 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast