• Navigation
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 301 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

NFL Offseason Thread: March 3, 2011. A date which will live in infamy.

Super Bowl is over and this thread is long overdue. With the Collective Bargining Agreement deadline on the horizon, how does everyone feel about an 18-game schedule?

Also, who are the hottest free agents on the market this offseason?

Draft is coming up at the end of April as well. So much to discuss, so little time.

Let the speculating begin!

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

Quote Originally Posted by Diamicles View Post
    I hope so. From everything I'm hearing it sounds like the owners want to cut into the players % of gross revenue, basically for no good reason. I think they are to the point where it's highly unlikely to get done by March, but I think the owners are smart enough to realize the amount of money they stand to lose if there is no season next year. Which, to me at least, is why the NFLPA isn't bothering listening to the owners right now.

I think a deal will definitely get done by mid-april, before the draft (hoping, at least)
    as for the 18 game schedule, I don't think there is any real usefulness in it, except to make more money. If there are only 16 games, we still get the awesome regular season playoff races we have seen for years....If there are 18 games, I'll watch them and people will buy tickets to them.

I'm excited that Chicago actually has some picks before the 3rd round this year lol

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Not gonna post in this shit thread.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

The owners can still weather the lack of a season better than the players(hence why it is a lockout and not a strike). The owners still get money from TV contracts. Players last an average of around 3 years in the league, losing a year from your prime and the paychecks that come with it hurts.

The owners want to reduce the player's share of revenues, and understandably the players are reluctant to do this without seeing the owners' books, which they refuse to do.

GATTACA!

BG Level

As for 18 games, nothx.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I kind of like the 18-game schedule and I kind of don't. I like it because by adding those 2 addition games, it lets teams play 3 entire divisions (12) and each divisional team twice (6) as opposed to the current system that pits a team versus 2 entire divisions and only 2 games from another. It also means more football. On the downside, it means more injuries, most likely 2 bye weeks, changes the record books to a new era. If I absoutely had to make a decision, I would keep it the way it is.

Hottest free agents: Mike Vick, Peyton Manning

We all know Peyton is going to be the highest paid player in the league and Eagles will sign Vick to a long-term deal or put the franchise tag on him.

So realistically: Vincent Jackson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Sidney Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Not gonna post in this shit thread.
    Contradiction! Going to start calling you Starburst.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'd rather the extra playoff games than an 18 game schedule. The owners see it as $$$ and players see it as... most chance for injury and the same amount of pay (if my understanding of it is correct). 16 also just seems so balanced compared to 18 :<

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    I kind of like the 18-game schedule and I kind of don't. I like it because by adding those 2 addition games, it lets teams play 3 entire divisions (12) and each divisional team twice (6) as opposed to the current system that pits a team versus 2 entire divisions and only 2 games from another. It also means more football. On the downside, it means more injuries, most likely 2 bye weeks, changes the record books to a new era. If I absoutely had to make a decision, I would keep it the way it is.

Hottest free agents: Mike Vick, Peyton Manning

We all know Peyton is going to be the highest paid player in the league and Eagles will sign Vick to a long-term deal or put the franchise tag on him.

So realistically: Vincent Jackson, Nnamdi Asomugha, Sidney Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens.
    Eh the latter two aren't really "hot free agents"... pretty much every team had a chance at both of them and every team passed. Raiders might as well just call it quits with the org. if they continue to coach up decent players and then let them leave while in their prime. Vjax is interesting though.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Ocho is a FA too, no?

GATTACA!

BG Level

and Santonio Holmes/ Brickhands Edwards

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ocho has a year left, dunno about the loljets.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thread title sucks.

18 game season, fuck no.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    Eh the latter two aren't really "hot free agents"... pretty much every team had a chance at both of them and every team passed. Raiders might as well just call it quits with the org. if they continue to coach up decent players and then let them leave while in their prime. Vjax is interesting though.
    I think T.O. is. Everyone passed during the offseason last year. But after his excellent year and the ability to keep his mouth closed for the first time since he's entered the league, I'm sure a lot of teams will give him looks this time around.

Randy Moss still has the intangibles but I guess not so hot since he was passed over on waivers. But that could have been a financial decision since they didn't want to pick up the remainder of his salary for the season with no guarantee that he'd sign a long-term deal. Getting a player smack in the middle of the season as opposed to training camp, preseason, a change to build some rapport, is totally different.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Thread title sucks.

18 game season, fuck no.
    Have Tyche edit it when he shows up every 3 months.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Moss still has the intangibles? He never had the intangibles.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    If that is the case, I don't understand why the owners don't open their books and prove it. It would put public opinion on their side.
    They have something to hide. If they are eating loses, opening the books to prove it would help their case but they don't want to be under scrutiny of the obscure amounts of money they make and pay people. Would probably look like an Enron-type scandal if you saw the checks they were sweeping into their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Moss still has the intangibles? He never had the intangibles.
    To spread the defense/require double team?

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Silentleroy View Post
    Ocho has a year left, dunno about the loljets.
    Ocho has a team option available. So it'll be up to the Bungles.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    They have something to hide. If they are eating loses, opening the books to prove it would help their case but they don't want to be under scrutiny of the obscure amounts of money they make and pay people. Would probably look like an Enron-type scandal if you saw the checks they were sweeping into their pockets.
    That's my point. If they are suffering losses, they shouldn't have anything to hide.

To spread the defense/require double team?
    That's tangible. Intangibles are leadership, gamesmanship, being a good teammate, etc.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Gdi you motherfuckers when you correct someone at least make it with the right info. "Ocho is a free agent" "No, he still has one year left." Me: "Ocho still has one year left" "... well technically blahblah" Fuck you mfers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 301 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast