FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...arzenegger.jpg

Now that Arnold Schwarzenegger is back (sorry, couldn’t resist) to acting, rumors about Terminator 5 happening are as popular as ever. The (former) action star previously confirmed that the Terminator franchise is one of several that he’s been approached to revisit, but did not elaborate on how substantial said talks about the series are.

Now Fast and the Furious franchise helmer Justin Lin has spoken out on the subject, revealing that he and Schwarzenegger have held multiple discussions about Terminator 5. Whether anything will come of it, however, isn’t something Lin is so sure about.

Here’s what Lin told Omelete about a fifth Terminator flick:

“I feel I have a take that I would love to see, and I’ve talked with Arnold and we’ve talked and we’ll see. Again, I would love to do it, but it has to be the right circumstances. It has to be the right people. And there’s other projects too. But I’m in a position now that I can choose more than I could a year ago, two years ago. So that is something that is potentially in my future, but when I get home I will sit down and look at my options and choose what I want to do.”
    Lin’s Fast Five hits theaters in two weeks’ time and is expected to (pardon the pun) tear it up at the box office. So while Lin will likely be courted to helm the next installment in that franchise, he’ll also be in a better position to convince studio heads that he’s the man to resurrect the Terminator series… once again. But that, of course, raises the real million dollar question: Should there even be a Terminator 5?

Like (just about) everyone else, I wasn’t exactly blown away with director McG’s Terminator: Salvation; the film just didn’t leave me interested in seeing the sci-fi franchise continue. But if there’s one thing Hollywood seems to be in love with nowadays, it’s rebooting “dead” franchises, be it The Crow, Lethal Weapon, the Alex Cross and Jack Ryan series – heck, even a cash-cow like the Spider-Man film series is getting the reboot treatment.

Salvation did excel in the department of visual effects and stylish action, and a filmmaker like Lin could easily go above and beyond in that area with Terminator 5. It could be interesting (“could” is the key word there) to see the Terminator series continue on and further explore the world of post-Judgement Day Earth, but that would require future installments to return to the more thoughtful and humane tone of James Cameron’s Terminator movies – and I’m not sure I see someone like Lin being up to that challenge.

Schwarzenegger is clearly serious about making a comeback as an actor, and he doesn’t sound all that hesitant about milking his previous hits in order to jump-start his career again. He’s already got new material like The Governator (as surreal as it looks) moving forward, so maybe another entry in the Terminator franchise will be put on the backburner while Schwarzenegger pursues more original projects. I wouldn’t count on it, but it’s still possible…for now.
    http://screenrant.com/arnold-schwarz...-sandy-110966/
    http://www.omelete.com.br/cinema/o-e...o-da-franquia/
    http://collider.com/terminator-justin-lin/85840/

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

so it's official http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/arno...lin-to-direct/
    EXCLUSIVE: He's baaack! Arnold Schwarzenegger is attached to star in a rights package that CAA is shopping today that will revive The Terminator, one of Hollywood's most iconic scifi franchises. The agency is dropping the package on studios this afternoon. I'm told that already, Universal, Sony and Lionsgate, and CBS Films are looking hard at the package. There is no screenwriter attached at this point, and Robert Cort is producing. This is the first real activity on The Terminator project since February 2010, when the property emerged from a bankruptcy auction and into the possession of Pacificor. The Santa Barbara-based hedge fund posted a bid of $29.5 million, with the promise that additional multimillion-dollar payments for each film would go to Halcyon, the company that made the 2009 McG-directed Terminator Salvation. That film starred Sam Worthington as the cyborg and Christian Bale as John Connor, and the storyline launched the battle between Skynet and the human survivors of the apocalypse, the war foreshadowed in James Cameron's visionary 1984 original film. Halcyon wanted to make several films but ran out of money. At the time of the auction, Pacificor beat out a combined bid by Lionsgate and Sony planning to make back-to-back sequels to bring the franchise to a natural creative conclusion.

While many felt at the time that Pacificor overpaid and that Lionsgate and Sony would have been better matches for the material, CAA has chosen an optimum time to seek a new deal. I wrote back in February that Universal quietly was trying to arrange for Lin to be helmer of the project. At the time, some turned up their noses. Given the strong international grosses being racked up by Fast Five and the expectations for a strong domestic opening this Friday, Lin has a lot of heat. And Schwarzenegger is looking to recapture past marquee glory ending his run as California State Governor. Schwarzenegger has circled several projects including Last Stand for Lionsgate, but here, he's the star, returning to the signature role that once established him as the world's biggest movie star.

Much like the Superman property, The Terminator has a ticking clock on the rights. There is a stipulation in copyright law that if you assign your rights, you get them back in 35 years. In this case, Cameron assigned his rights to Hemdale, and the North American rights will revert back to him in 2018. Now, Cameron has more or less washed his hands of the Terminator franchise, but I'm told a new deal would have to be made with him if the plan was to keep making Terminator installments beyond that period. There is plenty of time to make at least two Terminator films before that happens, and that might be sufficient to end the saga that so far has spanned four films. Any financier that makes those films owns them free and clear. Rumor is the project price tag is at least $25 million upfront, against a purchase price near $36 million, not including paydays for Schwarzenegger or Lin. It would stand to reason because of the amount Pacificor paid in 2010 and the interest it has carried since. I'm told there is no set price, but this will likely be a whopping sale by the time the dust has settled and the bidding is complete.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

As much as I like Arnie, hes way too old to be playing the Terminator.

Then again im sure they'll pull the old "he's an old model we salvaged and reprogrammed" again.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

For insta-success, add Summer Glau with Arnie!

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Not sure if want...

Unless they continue the story based off of where McG's film ended. Even then, not sure if having Arnold in it would help because I can't seem him playing the role anymore in anything more than a cameo.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

On the subject of people thinking that they'll pull a old model/reprogrammed thing, if it's a prequel, there's an extra clip/scene on the T2 special edition DVD where it explained how they all got this "Commander" guy (he had a name it escapes me right now) as the base look model for the T-101/100/800etc. Never know, they could open up a bit more on that =p (i.e. the actual building of Skynet before any time holes were invented)

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm okay with this. Salvation wasn't really Terminator without Arnie and my favorite moment of the movie was his CGI cameo.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

An honest question: In salvation, Connor was neither the military leader nor a tech genius. Why has he been the target of the machines?

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I think the idea was that he was still the future savior or man who led them to victory in the war against the machines.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

The entire John Connor mythos was an elaborate Xanatos Gambit by Skynet. Originally, John Connor never existed, and the actual leader of the resistance, who was winning the war, was his opposite in every way. Due to a time paradox, Skynet cannot risk actually assassinating the real figure, so they create a weak and pathetic, but charismatic, messianic figure to replace him, and make fake attempts at taking his life. (There were never any captured terminators; it was all a show and they were all Skynet. This is why the T-800 in Salivation just tosses him around instead of crushing his skull. Earlier attempts were more convincing because he was still sane back then and would have questioned obvious mercy.) Eventually the resistance fighters form a cult of personality around The John Connor, giving power to him instead of competent generals. This leads to both infighting and a generally weak human army under Connor's schizophrenic lead. Once he's firmly in command, Timburtonswifenet can attempt to kill him for real. If they succeed, the humans are demoralized, and if they fail, the humans are still being led by a complete fuckwit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    The entire John Connor mythos was an elaborate Xanatos Gambit by Skynet. Originally, John Connor never existed, and the actual leader of the resistance, who was winning the war, was his opposite in every way. Due to a time paradox, Skynet cannot risk actually assassinating the real figure, so they create a weak and pathetic, but charismatic, messianic figure to replace him, and make fake attempts at taking his life. (There were never any captured terminators; it was all a show and they were all Skynet. This is why the T-800 in Salivation just tosses him around instead of crushing his skull. Earlier attempts were more convincing because he was still sane back then and would have questioned obvious mercy.) Eventually the resistance fighters form a cult of personality around The John Connor, giving power to him instead of competent generals. This leads to both infighting and a generally weak human army under Connor's schizophrenic lead. Once he's firmly in command, Timburtonswifenet can attempt to kill him for real. If they succeed, the humans are demoralized, and if they fail, the humans are still being led by a complete fuckwit.
    ^wow I never heard that but I like it! That is really cool twist

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Hollywood will send agents after you for such a competent answer...

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I honestly do not know if I am being trolled by Kerb's post....

Quote Originally Posted by Guyverarmor View Post
    I honestly do not know if I am being trolled by Kerb's post....
    I dont know either but next movie should be built around his answer...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If Arnold got back in some kind of shape I would totally see another Terminator with him in it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Stuff

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

John Connor was also high for the entire Judgement Day. In T3 we see him take an overdose of some sort of animal drug when he broke into the vet clinic. For the whole film, and Judgement Day, he was high!!!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

On the Terminator movie being a sure thing:

Well, again, it’s gone through a change in ownership…I have a very clear idea because I’m a huge… There’s huge part of my life when I was a kid, I love that franchise and I have a very clear idea of what I want… If they’re going to do another one what that would be. And also, I think the other element that’s necessary is to really find the right group of people to execute that.

So again, I have my criteria set and if it’s not right, I shouldn’t make it. I think a lot of the stuff has been very good, we’ll see how everything fleshes out on that end too.
    On who he's talk to that has been involved with the franchise:

Yeah. Megan [Ellison]‘s been great and I sit down and talk to Arnold and stuff and we’ll have to see. I mean it’s very early on. There’s no script or anything like that.

But it’s actually really good to be able to kind of articulate, and someone like Arnold obviously such… He’s so integral to do the franchise, to be able to have that kind of this close with him also.
    On the character Sarah Connor:

I mean, Sarah Connor is such a big part of the franchise, you know. Yeah, I mean I’ve always been surprised how in part 3 she was just like… It was like one line and she was gone.

I think the great thing about this franchise is you have… You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there’s a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/7/23...-fast-six.html
    http://www.moviehole.net/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

So not only is there a "canon" movie in the works, but now Paul W.S. Anderson & Damon Lindelof are attempting to get reboots started.

Here is Anderson's Pitch:

I would pick up after Judgment Day and combine the epic battle for the future with a story set in present day, like the first two films, which were clever and fun.

I’d keep it in California: Sunshine, palm trees, and shopping malls are the perfect backdrop for mayhem. It doesn’t have to be grim. I don’t need to see bombastic superheroes fighting for the fate of the world.

I want it through the eyes of real people. If I can get Arnold back, that would be my preference. He is the brand; nobody else can fill his shoes. But you should have new relatable characters.

The best thing about the Terminator is that it was designed to infiltrate society. I’d build the narrative around twists and turns. You’ll have to guess who’s a robot and who’s a human being. It’d be in the same style as Westworld.

But the centerpiece of the film would be the battle they teased me with for four movies. Imagine a field of tens of thousands of Terminators—not giant Transformer-type robots but human-sized Terminator endoskeletons—getting ready for an all-out epic fight against humanity on the scale of The Lord of the Rings. It would look cool, and it would also be awesome.

I’ve been waiting since the first movie to see it. Is someone going to make this soon?
    Here is Lindelof's pitch:

The whole “dark depressing futuristic apocalypse” thing is played out. Enough with the machines driving over human skulls. We need us some COMEDY. Look at those numbers for Bridesmaids and Hangover 2. Can you imagine the box office if those movies had HOMICIDAL ROBOTS in them?!? And since we’re evoking Arnold’s work already (evoking is free, by the way—suck it, lawyers), why not combine Terminator with Schwarzenegger’s greatest comedic work?

Yeah. That’s right. Kindergarten frigging Cop.

Buckle up. Here comes the gold.

Humans in dystopian future learn that a Terminator traveled back in time and impregnated a woman, resulting in a half-cybernetic child that will grow up to be humankind’s DESTROYER! But due to technological ineptitude, we can’t lock down the mother’s identity (and thus the kid’s), narrowing their whereabouts to a school in a pleasant coastal town.

And so our story begins as a gruff, futuristic badass with great comedic chops (we’re screwed if the Rock says no) representing the hopes of all humanity travels back to 2012 to identify the half-Terminator 5-year-old by substituting as a kindergarten teacher. And then, after a series of comedic misunderstandings? Kill the little bastard.

Pretty sure we can get a PG-13 as long as no one smokes and when the kid gets shot in the face we do it in a classy way.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/7/29...or-reboot.html
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/0...atorfranchise/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Both sound shit.