+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Classes Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

tol

Rogue Class Discussion

Figured we should start a thread on the various rogue soul options. I think having a separate thread for each soul would just be pretty cluttered.

What are you all playing at the moment?

I'm playing bard/nightblade/riftstalker. I'm liking it so far, it feels a lot like bard was in EQ.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I am currently playing a Paladin/Voidwalker. Liking it a lot, but so far I think the voidwalker soul isn't getting too much use. Still will stick with that though cause I am pretty sure once I get into doing dungeons I will encounter more magic class mobs.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Hydraxis

I am going Ranger/Marksman/Riftstalker so far. Ranger/Marksman was a no brainer for me, but the third I had trouble deciding, so I did Riftstalker. I've unlocked all the souls for Rouge now, but I'm looking for suggestions for Endgame and Dungeon Combos for when I buy my 2nd role. Any suggestions?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

I'm a fan of Marks/Bard/Hunter for solo, personally. Killer combo with great buffs.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I really like bard, aside the super short duration of motif's. It would be nicer if later talents extended it further, to maybe 45 sec-1min.

I'm bard / nightblade / riftstalker
    So... I got the extra soul quests, that require a planar essence, for sabatour, ranger and marks... but where are the other soul quest npc's? I can't find em anywhere in sanctum or around the outskirts

tol

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I really like bard, aside the super short duration of motif's. It would be nicer if later talents extended it further, to maybe 45 sec-1min.

I'm bard / nightblade / riftstalker
    So... I got the extra soul quests, that require a planar essence, for sabatour, ranger and marks... but where are the other soul quest npc's? I can't find em anywhere in sanctum or around the outskirts
    If it's anything like defiant-side. They should all be in Sanctum because they were all separated inside Meridian. Try looking near the pvp vendors? That's where assassin ect were defiant side.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

do you need to be a certain lv to unlock them? Because at 18 I swore I ran all around, but ill do a double check later today

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Yes, you have to unlock other souls like Bard, etc. Bard quest is in the big tent outside the entrance to Meridian. There are two others that I know of right next to one another inside Meridian also. I cannot recall which entrance into the main city building it was in, but they were in the dueling pit. One was assassin and another one, both next to each other. From what I can tell you can only have 1 soul quest active at a time, so if you happened to pick up bard or some other one, you must complete it or abandon it first. Not sure if there is a level requirement, but I know you meet it. I was able to pick them up at 16, and they could have been available a lot earlier for all I know.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

So basically, ever since reaching level 30+ zones. Level differences are ridiculous for rogues. When ever I have a little winge about it in my guild I am just put on the "omfg its to hard, make it easy wagon" if there ever was one. But thats not what my issue is.

Like now for example I am level 34, Using Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer But I also have a similar spec but with nightblade instead of riftstalker in defensive talents, including a straight up 30% damage reduction and my problem still occurs.

So if I was to fight level 30-36 mobs, with any spec I kill them in about 10 seconds flat with full health remaining but if I where to pull a level 37 mob (One level higher than the mobs I normally decimate in shear seconds) Then I am lucky to even kill it. My hit rating hits the floor I get misses and dodges out of the ass and they hit me for 200-300 damage. Basically unless it's a magic caster I do not stand a chance.

Okay you could say "just avoid monsters 3 levels higher than you" but the problem is I am given quests to kill these monsters to progress any further, what am I suppose to do? Now before you start with the "oh, you sort of people just went everything easy" I understand that something 3 levels higher than me should be challenging infact it's nice that in this game levels mean something. But from going to lvl36 mobs down in seconds, not a scratch on my health bar, not a single miss. To a level 37 mob, absolute horror, can't hit for shit and hitting me for 3 times as hard is that fair?

Maybe some of you can suggest some specs that make killing higher level mobs a little easier, or let me survive against them atleast.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? inb4 lrn2play comments.

That's an "Issue" with game mechanics, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, you should only ever be killing things within +2 of your level, +3/4 in dungeon groups(4 is pushing it). Hit-rate scales with opposing level, to the point where you're supposed to miss something +5 90% of the time.

If what you said is true, it means you skipped a...or 2...3...quest hubs, you need to backtrack abit and come back to your current area.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Yeah, I am missing a few quests in the older zones I am going back now and picking up dailies on the way. Ugh so annoying, I dunno how I missed some quests when I was alright until i hit the 30s. But yeah, lesson to you people still low.

Make sure you do every single quest in the zones or else it'll bite you on the ass like it did with me haha

Relic Horn
    BG Level

If you want a good rogue build for leveling Bladedancer/13riftstalker/17assassin is the best.

Basically you use Bladedancer abilities, with Riftstalkers heal from leftover combo points, and Assassins passive talents.

Guy in my guild that runs Rift Junkies posted about it today, he developed the build in alpha/beta - I've been using it last couple days and it's pretty awesome kill speed.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/02/2...-soloing-spec/

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Great thanks.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Vek'nilash

Question in regards to those who play bard -

I've tried searching up for answers but haven't quite found any solid answer.

What exactly buffs up your damage output with Cadence and does it directly translate to your heal amount too?
    I've heard people say that it's all dex, though some argue that you might need to also pump out some +spell power.

Confusing class is .. well, confusing.

Loving it though regardless - most fun I've had playing any healing(?) class from both FFXI and WoW.

tol

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    If you want a good rogue build for leveling Bladedancer/13riftstalker/17assassin is the best.

Basically you use Bladedancer abilities, with Riftstalkers heal from leftover combo points, and Assassins passive talents.

Guy in my guild that runs Rift Junkies posted about it today, he developed the build in alpha/beta - I've been using it last couple days and it's pretty awesome kill speed.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/02/2...-soloing-spec/

Fantastic link, tried it out earlier tonight and it was very very solid. I was leveling as a bard so it obviously improved my kill speed significantly without losing survivability. I still plan to main bard for dungeons/pvp but this is definitely the questing/grinding role im going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by wynbert View Post
    Question in regards to those who play bard -

I've tried searching up for answers but haven't quite found any solid answer.

What exactly buffs up your damage output with Cadence and does it directly translate to your heal amount too?
    I've heard people say that it's all dex, though some argue that you might need to also pump out some +spell power.

Confusing class is .. well, confusing.

Loving it though regardless - most fun I've had playing any healing(?) class from both FFXI and WoW.
    Im like 99.9% certain that AP(as opposed to SP) is the #1 way to increase output from cadence, and it directly translates to the heal amount as well. It scales with AP at a rate of 1pt of dmg per 10 ap.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Tried out the spec that you suggested, and it's amazing. Really like it, so much defensive buffs aswell as offensive. Thanks for that.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Vek'nilash

Quote Originally Posted by tol View Post
    Im like 99.9% certain that AP(as opposed to SP) is the #1 way to increase output from cadence, and it directly translates to the heal amount as well. It scales with AP at a rate of 1pt of dmg per 10 ap.
    Awesome - Guess I'll stick to just stacking Dex and AP as I go then. Appreciate the input!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Dinged 50 today and I am looking into playing the melee style of rogue in pve (raids/rifts) I have a beastly ass/rift/blade combo I used for questing (from the guide a few posts up) and it amazing but I don't think it's the best for PvE grouping wise. Now I am tempted to go the same 3 calling but more in assassin instead of rift. Does anyone know any guides or something or maybe some personal input themselves? Gosh I am so overwhelmed now I am 50 :X don't know where to start first!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Melee in PVE just isn't worth it. The extra required movement for melee DPS loses any edge it has in damage.

Right now your looking at 34ranger/17assassin/15bladedancer if you need hit (you need about 200 hit for Greenscale) otherwise 37 ranger/17assassin/12nightblade.

Marksman used to be king for DPS but it got nerfed hard at the end of beta.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Ahh, alright then mate thanks.

I'll use that then, appreciate it.