• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Wired connection dropping (Windows 7 64 bit)

I apologize in advance for the long-winded post. I've tried so many different things to fix this and just don't know what to do anymore.

My Windows 7 64-bit PC wired connection will sometimes drop, usually after restarting or waking from sleep mode. The little yellow triangle icon with an exclamation point will show up over the network icon in the taskbar and it'll say "no network access".

Before this, it wouldn't even get a connection at all, just the perpetual yellow triangle over the icon. I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 7, ran Windows Update, updated drivers, etc. It's better now in that it will actually connect, but it will still drop the connection every now and then.

At first I thought maybe it was something with my PC, maybe the NIC or the motherboard. I bought an ethernet card to use in place of the on-board NIC, but still had the same problems. Thought it could be something up with the cable, so used several different ones, but still a no go.

The ISP guys came over and checked everything, modem, router, wiring, etc. They were stumped, so they called the "tech" guys and they couldn't figure it out either. They messed around in the router settings, and they changed it to a static IP and it still didn't help.

I'm beginning to believe it's something with Windows 7 and my connection. This is in a small office, and all other computers connect fine without drops, but they're running XP. My home PC has 7 64-bit on it and the same ISP, but I've never had this problem at home.

The ISP guys hooked up their laptop with XP on it, and it was connected fine as well. My friend brought over his netbook with 7, and got the same connection drops I did. Did some poking around on Google, and it seems like other people are having similar problems with Windows 7 (sorry, can't post URL's yet):

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/network-randomly-drops-the-tcpip-netbios-helper/a5e0a261-8344-45b2-af3a-75a45332a2ed?page=1

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/2c0af923-24bb-4de2-95a7-9a9d4f64a8b0

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/1bb6a36a-9396-49df-ab29-60b19267dc08

sevenforums.com/network-sharing/59141-windows-7-intermittently-drops-wired-connectionhtml (same post as one above, just posted on a different forum with more answers)

I've tried all of the suggestions in those threads, but I'm still having the problem. I really don't like falling back on the "blame Microsoft" excuse and always try to figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong first, but I am at a total loss at this point. I guess it's no big deal to just use XP instead, but Windows 7 is just so pretty. :(

Before I switch to XP, I just wanted to try one last time to find a fix and post my problem here on BG to see if anyone could help. Thanks for all your time!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I quickly skimmed the thread, but did not see a network card mentioned. Is it by chance an Atheros card?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

The on-board one is a Realtek RTL8201N, and the new PCIe one I got is an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Have you unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" in the properties of the NIC card?

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    I quickly skimmed the thread, but did not see a network card mentioned. Is it by chance an Atheros card?
    I have an Atheros in my laptop and I have always had problems with my wired connection. I get error 651 and have tried a ton of fixes, but never can resolve it. I just use Wi-fi instead.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Have you unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" in the properties of the NIC card?
    Yeah my friend suggested that, so I did that on both the on-board ethernet and the extra card one I bought. I was really hoping that would do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellema View Post
    I have an Atheros in my laptop and I have always had problems with my wired connection. I get error 651 and have tried a ton of fixes, but never can resolve it. I just use Wi-fi instead.
    Is that just a problem with the Atheros brand cards? I think I'm reading my motherboard specs right, Realtek for the on-board NIC and the one I bought is Intel. But who knows, I could be wrong. XD