1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 11 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 12 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 4 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 5 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New Odin
    BG Level

Letter from the Producer, VI (03/16/2011)

As you may have heard, northeastern Japan was recently struck by a devastating earthquake and tsunami. I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to all affected by this great tragedy.

To do our part in the electricity conservation effort, we have temporarily taken our game servers offline. I apologize deeply for the inconvenience this causes all of you, and ask for your patience and understanding.

I would also like to thank all of the players who have offered words of support and sympathy on the FFXIV forums. I made a brief post myself, but would like to take this opportunity to do so formally and report on the current state of the development team.

Tokyo, where our development and operation teams are based, has suffered minimal damage from the earthquake and its after effects. We have confirmed the safety of all our team members, but there are those with family in the affected regions. Due to this, the concerns of the nuclear plants, and the ongoing aftershocks, we are not at our best.

The planned blackouts in the Kanto region have disrupted public transportation, preventing many from even making it to work. In addition, our French and German localization staff have left Tokyo at the urging of their respective embassies. For these reasons, and to allow our staff to focus on their safety and that of their families, I have decided to make adjustments to the development schedule.

We were working to release patches 1.16a and 1.17 by the end of March, but now anticipate a delay of one to two weeks. During this time, we will not only be making minor improvements, but also directing our efforts on laying the groundwork for future content.

I had intended to announce this in a future letter, but we will release information regarding the Grand Companies of Eorzea (what were referred to as “public companies” in previous posts) just before patch 1.17 goes live. We are currently readying a page dedicated to this exciting new feature, and hope to have it up on the Lodestone shortly.

Despite current conditions, we are doing all we can to release the patches and get you adventuring again as quickly as possible.

Talk to you again soon!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...803-16-2011%29

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Honestly, much more than he really has to say right now. I personally would have understood if he came out and said to eat a dick and quit whining. Anything at all from SE at the moment about 11 or 14 to me is completely shocking and a month plus of silence wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

On another note, I wonder how many people will play 14 out of sympathy that would have quit otherwise.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm surprised he even made a post given the situation over there.

New Odin
    BG Level

Other MMO devs won't give them time to breath, and as said the players won't give them time to breath either. That's what this company should give a crap about. They have no time to mourn, as harsh as that sounds. We can understand their situation, doesn't mean we won't go somewhere else if it takes too long for them to recover. Especially this game is in no position to have a month's break from development, they know it and we know it.

From the sounds of it they'll work on shit that doesn't need translating for the time being, which causes the 1.16a and 1.17 to be delayed. In that sense it doesn't affect them in the long run that much, although I'm sure the constant blackouts and having to worry about the nuclear situation will.

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post
    Honestly, much more than he really has to say right now. I personally would have understood if he came out and said to eat a dick and quit whining. Anything at all from SE at the moment about 11 or 14 to me is completely shocking and a month plus of silence wouldn't have surprised me in the least.
    MTE. I can't see anyone bitching anymore, not that they were justified in the first place

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Whether XIV suceeds or not is not up to the 4 guys that are still playing. It's up to whether the game has changed enough for the PS3 release and whether it gets a big enough marketing campaign that makes everyone think it's an entire new game and washes off the bad stigma.

(Please keep in mind I'm not arguing whether it's possible for this game to be redeemed or not, that's a topic for a different conversation)

XI on the other hand...

EDIT: This was originally a response to something Hyan said, but I misread. Edited the post a bit so it still fits here. They don't have time to stop development for a month, but shutting down the servers for a month doesn't really hurt XIV, I don't think.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Probably helps, it's not costing them anything and I'm sure there's still some folks on the team doing planning and whatnot of upcoming/future changes (which is what really matters).

New Odin
    BG Level

They don't have time to stop development for a month, but shutting down the servers for a month doesn't really hurt XIV, I don't think.
    Yep. Especially since it sounds like we won't have anything to give feedback on for a month anyway.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Siatdiat View Post

On another note, I wonder how many people will play 14 out of sympathy that would have quit otherwise.
    that's what he shoulda said for sure.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sounds like SE is planning to have the servers up for April at least. Considering the crisis in Japan I believe they may be setting up something somewhere or moving them out of there.
    The patch was supposed to hit next week or the following one so if it's getting delayed by 1-2 weeks it's safe to assume that by then we may have the servers available again. I doubt the current issues in Japan will be fixed by then so new servers/moving the current ones seems the only options.
    And yes, the situation over there is terrible but SE can't afford to keep FFXI down for a long time. Coming up with a temporary but effective solution is their best bet.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

With such a fragile product at the moment trying desperately to reinvent itself, Yoshi really doesn't have much choice but to let us know what's up and assure Players that progress is going to resume shortly despite the horrific tragedy engulfing the country. Like Hyan said, SE is a business and they want to keep their costumers from sailing the ship for greener MMORPG pastures. Too much uncertainty will kill whatever positive momentum the previous patches have tried to make.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I'm not surprised there's a new letter, I think most people in Tokyo are back to work now because the economy can't just stop due to the disaster.

Looking like the servers will be back up by April with the patches in the first and second week of the month. That is if things don't get worse.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i like that he made the effort to post an announcement.

In the past few days, Japanese companies have shown signs that they've accessed where they're at and are picking up the pieces and moving forward, both for the sake of themselves and the general Japanese economy.

Should they delay any further, it'd do even more damage to Japan, economically. I don't even think its even got to do with not being sympathetic to the tsunami relief effort and all. but more of a pragmatic approach. Life must go on, where it can.

With that, I'm kinda excited for the Grand Company thing..

Personally, I think there's some widely held belief that this major disaster is enough to galvanize positive change in Japan after its years of decline. It gives them a reason to want to recover, I suppose.

I'm also hoping that SE will take this few weeks or month of FFXIV inactivity to brush up the parts of the game that they can, so as to bring it back with a bit of a bang once servers come up.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

They don't have the luxury of waiting or postponing a update that long. This game is in deep shit atm.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

EH, if the game turns around before Star Wars and they push some massive "WELCOME BACK" campaign, they'll be alright. Until they start pushing for new people to play, though, the only people seeing the updates and changes are those playing right now, who are hardcore and would have kept playing anyway.

They can take their time in releasing this stuff, so long as its all done before Star Wars, which is the next big thing slated to take another hefty chunk out of the competition.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I honestly don't think it has so much to do with competition coming but more so the PS3 release. The ps3 release, imo, will dictate how well this game can pick itself up from where it is now. Rift has so many subscribers and it just keeps growing, I don't think SE has a shred of a chance to topple any current or upcoming big MMO's. Their only hope is to stabilize the game and have a small dedicated group like FFXI currently has. Unlesss the game becomes a huge hit when it hits ps3 and they advertise it, which is highly unlikely, it will become that way imo.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I can't see Star Wars having a big effect on FFXIV. I may be wrong but I don't think the kind of person who would play a Star Wars MMO would be interested in an FF MMO and vice versa. I like the Star Wars movies but I've no interest in any games based off it.

As others have said the PS3 release will either be the new beginning or death of this game and I hope they delay it until they have a lot of content to add for the PS3 launch. I'm talking an expansion here with new regions, classes, content, story etc. so it feels like a fresh game to PS3 players. If this takes it to 2012 so be it. Console players will have little patience for a game with only a handful of regions and little content. Even all of Yoshi-P's planned changes probably wouldn't be enough to make the PS3 version a success. But SE are likely to push the PS3 version out as soon as they feel the game is worth paying for, which is probably going to be shortly after all the planned changes.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I like both ;x I will definitely be playing Star Wars and FFXIV too provided it doesn't continue to be shit.

New Odin
    BG Level

Won't be surprised to see JP's jump on this game come PS3 release. If its legitimately good at that time that is.

Not all at once, though, but over some time. Maybe Westerners will pick it up, maybe not. There's really nothing to compare against that would fit the situation here.

Obviously pessimism is warranted at this point. Odds are against them, but can't blame them for not trying.

Would be really nice to see it get the "most improved" award at the end of the year, at least. I don't think it's an impossibility, as there's a lot to improve!

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

If it was up to the PS3 release and the PS3 release only, then the time frame in which this game becomes "finished" wouldn't matter in the slightest. They've taken the PS3 release date off the table. There's no date for it until "shit's finished". That gives SE all the time in the world to "turn the game around", if the PS3 release is all you are hedging the future of the game on.

I don't subscribe to that at all.

MMOs have rival games and companies they have to deal with. If SE wants to make this game profitable, they have to carve out and hold a decent-sized niche of gamers. The token Japanese that support anything made by Japan isn't going to be enough - not nearly enough to warrant a new game with millions pumped into it. The MMO market is thick right now, and it's only going to get more saturated with GW2 (yes, it counts) Tera, and Star Wars hitting the shelves. I'd wager that if there's any time constraints to fix the game (as if 6 months of it being pathetic wasn't enough of a death sentence), its the thought of losing ground and allowing 3 new MMOs gain a solid foothold while XIV continues to writhe and flop around like a half-dead fish, gasping for air.