BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Depends on how fast you want to buy parts, but you can do a lot better on prices. I don't have much time this morning, but below are some tweaks that would save you around $55. The 760 will go on sale and you should be able to snag one after rebates for around $225. Also, 600w 80+Bronze psu do go on sale after rebates for around $35. I have a Antec 620 Neo Eco (made by Seasonic) and it's solid. Got it for $30 after rebates.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZKPG

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol, the setup i edited in yesterday was $820~ when I went to bed, and its $870 now. Guess I didn't notice the sales/rebates ending. Also, I just noticed that the case doesn't have front panel USB ports while the motherboard has an onboard header.

edit: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case works and looks nifty with good reviews. Opinions?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Been a while since this thread had a post but don't feel like making a new thread. Upgrading my CPU soon and want some suggestions. So far I'm set on:

Have:
    EVGA 680 4gb

Upgrade:
    i5-4670k (I have a Hyper 212 EVO to use, if it's not enough I will replace)
    Asus Maximus VI Hero

Looking at RAM I came across 1866 8GB RAM but open to suggestions. Also looking for a new PSU, hopefully modular but w.e for a lower price.

Edit: Also want an SSD, don't know much about them. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-240GB-.../dp/B00BQ8RM1A sale seems nice.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'm wondering if it's time to revamp my computer or if there are small changes I can make to get a bit more out of what I already have.

I'm currently using a Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz Processor with 4GB Ram, a 500GB hard drive & NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 Graphics Card. (Other misc:I use two monitors, a G710+ keyboard and my ethernet connection is wired).

I'm usually running a couple of instances of FFXI, Visual Studio, a chat program and Chrome. I keep things updated and organized, and move media (images etc) to external drives when possible.

It's not that it's incapable, it just gives me lag at times times & I am wondering: is this the best I'll get out of this particular system? If so, then I suppose an upgrade to my motherboard and processor is next. If not, does anyone have any advice for changes I could make to help it be a little better?

TIA! ^_^

Does anyone have any advice?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Soooo my M/B took a dive last week , Can someone recommend a decent CPU and M/B combo on the dirt cheap, money is kinda tight atm.
    I'm looking at the new I5 haswell, is that a better deal than the ivy bridge I5 that runs at lower watts? I won't be overclocking.

Also would I be able to reuse this cpu fan?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

Thx in advance for any help

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Looking for a laptop for XIV, something that will ideally play the game well and around $500.
    It doesn't need to have a lot of bells and whistles, just be sturdy and affordable. No touch screen or anything. I know next to nothing about laptops because I've used desktops all my life so I don't even really know where to start with this. I've been recommended older ASUS products but I'd prefer to buy new from a retail place. Any suggestions? Thanks.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hello all:

I'm needing to rebuild my system (or at least parts of it).

I already have a case that recently had fans replaced (NZXT tempest) so that's fine. My friend came up with these options for me:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wA5f

as well as:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wD8V (said "future proof for at least 5 years, minus the GPU")

Another friend also linked this processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284

The components I am changing out:

Motherboard
    Processor
    RAM
    (Potentially) Video card. (already has a Radeon 6850 in there; yes, I could probably upgrade)
    Optical Drive

I already have a new SSD in the system and another HD.

I don't play a lot of FPS games, so really I want something that runs FFXIV well and other MMOs, the standard fare of games I'd play on the PC (a lot of Dragon Age / Witcher / etc. type games).

Any thoughts? I was thinking of going with an intel set, but the friend recommended that one. The last PC I built (even with my newbie mistakes) lasted 6 years while only needing the vid card and PSU swapped out (the PSU failure happened after upgrading the vid card, so yeah). Probably would have lasted longer if I hadn't been an idiot and tried a minor overclock, but it was overdue for an upgrade anyway.

Any and all advice, whether PMed or posted here would help.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Spending that much on an LGA 1150 isn't a good idea, especially if you are just going pair it with a GTX 760 and a 212 EVO cooler.

Something like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3xagv has a much faster GPU and you'll get the same performance out of that MB as the $300 Asus. However if you don't want to OC then you can ditch the cooler, get an even cheaper MB and a locked CPU.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thank you very much.

We consulted again and we ended up going for a cheaper Gigabyte Motherboard found here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt...oard-gaz87xd3h

I may end up OCing down the line after giving it some thought.

Again, thanks a ton. I'd have taken your advice on the vid card, but I ended up ordering that today (since I'd just sit and overanalyze everything if I waited too long).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

All the PC parts are in, but I'm realizing that I may need to eventually upgrade my monitor.

I currently have a 20 inch samsung LCD from.. 8 years ago or so? It's lasted fine, and will probably continue to last, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thinking something in the 23 inch range, as a 27 inch would feel massive on my desk, but I'm not completely closing off the possibility.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I recently got a 23" AOC IPS 1080p for I want to say $90 after coupons and what not through Staples. I really like it coming from a 19" HP lcd. Before getting the IPS I bought a standard LED and I returned it after one day. Love the IPS.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

..And after seeing a 27 inch in store, maybe it's not allt hat bad.

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313

But since I don't play a ton of FPS titles, I'm wondering if I'd even benefit.

The AOC is a good one, sorry to be pesky about this, but if anyone could give a list of decent ones, I'd be happy. Not looking to go above $300 if I can help it.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I personally have a 27 inch asus monitor for gaming and a 25 inch AOC monitor for extra stuff. My Asus monitor has truly vibrant colors and is 3 years old, my aoc monitor has a blue hue and is about 8 months old. one is clearly better quality than the other when you look at it.

Asus is typically noted as the least possible lag you can get in a monitor, so...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=dislag-20 is also the highest rated monitor on displaylag.com

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    ..And after seeing a 27 inch in store, maybe it's not allt hat bad.

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236313
    This is the one I have and it is amazing, even for every day use. I mainly play league and hearthstone, very little FPS usage.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ended up going with that one.

But been so damn busy haven't had time to set things up really. Had to do a ton of cleaning anyway.

Ridill
    BG Level

not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but whatever

Is there a better deal for a solid just above low-end gaming laptop than this out there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152406

core i7 4700mq (haswell)
    8g ddr3 1600mhz
    shitty hard drive
    geforce gtx 765m w/2g gddr5
    $920 after rebate

Has 2 msata slots, so I'll probably toss in a couple 128gig ssd's in raid. I'll also probably add another 8 gigs of ram.

I'd really like to get a 17", but it doesn't look like there's anything with that kind of specs in a 17" anywhere close to that price range. The same model in 17 is ~$1250. I'm not all that concerned about the size anyway, though.

Anyway, yeah. Just wanting to get a second opinion (or 3rd or 4th etc), I can't seem to find anything competitive. I'm not as informed on the topic as I'd like to be these days, though.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Unless MSI has changed their design on the 15" models, the CPU/GPU share a heatpipe and as a result the laptop can get hot as fuck while gaming. I'd probably look around and see if that's still the case, assuming it's an issue to you.

I had one about 2 years ago that I couldn't set on my lap without a cooler, it was always sitting in the 90°c range if I using it for gaming.

Ridill
    BG Level

I've done a bit of looking around at that, it sounds like it may have a bit of an issue with it. It does now come with a "coolermax" or some such feature, which is apparently a button you can press to set all the fans to 100%, in exchange for obviously making it really loud.

That said, I'm not particularly averse to using it with a cooling pad on my lap, been doing that with my old one for a couple years anyway heh.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So, my computer has been freezing, and only during games, and researching the DMP files indicates the video card is going bad. I don't really have the funds to do a full upgrade, so I"m looking for a video card that can replace my GTX 470 and get the same/better performance. Is it still the GTX 670 or is there something else I should look at, considering my rig:

OS - Windows 7 64x
    MB - Asus P7P55D-E LX
    CPU - Intel i5 750 2.67 (4cpu)
    Memory - 12 gigs
    HD - Non-SSD

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I just built a new system. I got everything up and running this week and have windows installed, all necessary programs, etc. One thing has me concerned though. The CPU idle temps seem a little high. It's a 3570k with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink. I saw it first in the BIOS and the average tempurature was around 40C. I downloaded CPUID and it lists the individual temps for each core and they all read around 31-34C. It also shows the 40 though. I'm not sure which to go by. I read somewhere that with the 212 idle temp should be around 25C. I haven't run any stress tests on it yet cause I'm afriad too. Any advice would be welcome. This is my first time having a higher end processor so I'm trying to be really careful.