And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

It's your CPU that's bottle-necking you. MMOs in particular are very CPU-dependent, and FFXIV is no different. Best you can do is to overclock your current CPU to get a bit of an FPS boost, else you're looking to need a new CPU/mobo to really let that 970 breathe a bit.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like 1080p.

That cpu is overclockable, however not with that stock Dell motherboard. To buy a good used 1156 board to overclock, you probably won't get the results you're looking for so it would end up being a waste.

i5 4690k +mb combo deals been popping up often, there's also microcenter if nearby. That's what I'd recommend, paired with a cpu cooler and follow a guide to squeak a little more out of it.

Would be a good time to think about upgrading your case if your using a stock Dell one.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lady Tisi
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Malygos

Yeah that's what I figured. The dell CPU/Mobo are the only original parts left now. What kind of price range will I be looking at?

@ Senji - I will probably end up getting this case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Is there anything worthwhile and not excessively expensive to upgrade from an [email protected]?

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    Is there anything worthwhile and not excessively expensive to upgrade from an [email protected]?
    Nope.
    The 2500 holds up very well.

Even an i7 4790 only has about a 20-25% single thread performance advantage over it, if you wanna do a lot of video editing/rendering then an i7 becomes worth it, otherwise there isn't much advantage over an i5 for any other real world task.
    Mostly the performance gains since the i5 2500/i7 2600 have just been nm size of the die, and most of the gains have been in power use, with the performance increases being relatively smaller.

Your OC'd 2500k will prob beat a non-OC 4790 in single thread ( gaming ).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hadley Brightfoot
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Though this has already been touched upon, but XIV does rely much more on the CPU than any other game I've run through my rig recently. I'm in a similar boat atm. Killer GPU setup and any additional gains would require a CPU/Mobo/RAM replacement. Moving to Haswell would be a sick upgrade for you. If you could hold out a little bit longer, you can see what Broadwell has to offer once it's on the market. In the meantime, perhaps you could scale down the graphical settings that are a bit reliant on the CPU to get some additional gains until you swap hardware.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hadley Brightfoot
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Nope.
    The 2500 holds up very well.

Even an i7 4790 only has about a 20-25% single thread performance advantage over it, if you wanna do a lot of video editing/rendering then an i7 becomes worth it, otherwise there isn't much advantage over an i5 for any other real world task.
    I've found the extra cores to be extremely useful with virtualization. Can eat through cores and RAM pretty quickly depending on what you have cooking.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

hiiiiiiiii

most likely im making new build next month however i have yet to decide on 2 things

the motherboard....MSI z97 gaming 7 or Asus Maximus VII hero the asus about 90$ more here

and the case CM Haf X or NZXT H440. haf for sure will provide better cooling i think

I was going to comment on this way earlier. After comparing both boards on their official site (Newegg was missing additional info on the MSI board). The only huge hardware difference between the MSI and ASUS boards are the USB 3.0 slots.

Other than that, it really comes down to how much you value build quality, brand recognition, preferences, etc. Both boards are pretty evenly matched, although I suspect the ASUS board has a far more advanced overclocking interface, if that’s your thing. If you don’t care much for fancy GUI, consider the MSI I suppose.

I may have missed another glaring feature, but I don’t think I did. ASUS is red? :vroom:

On another note, you, and more people really, should consider the form factor size more often. Do you really need a full ATX board and a huge case? Or would you really benefit(wallet and spacial) from a more compact setup that other hardware combinations offer? I say this because I’m currently in the planning stages of converting from Full-ATX in a NZXT Phantom, to a Micro-ATX, with a single GPU setup (with possibility for dual-) enclosed in a much smaller case than I’ve been personally used to for well over 10 years now. ~Food for thought.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

I managed to get my hands on a Nvidia 980 from a friend for a great price, and was wondering if I should now upgrade my CPU.

Currently running a i5 2500k not oc'd. Would a upgrade to a newer i5 or maybe a i7 be worth it?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    I managed to get my hands on a Nvidia 980 from a friend for a great price, and was wondering if I should now upgrade my CPU.

Currently running a i5 2500k not oc'd. Would a upgrade to a newer i5 or maybe a i7 be worth it?
    I'd say probably not. More CPU power is always better but I'd personally let one more generation pass before upgrading from a 2500k.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post

Absolutely not, you have a real powerhouse now that will last you for a bit before needing to upgrade. You're at least 1 or 2 cpu cycles from needing to upgrade.

I'm on an i7-950 oc and upgrading for me would even be minimal with my 980.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The difference between various generations of i#-whatever processors is very minimal, and so few games will actually be limited by a processor. Even as GPUs gain more and more power each year they're still the bottleneck in almost every situation for gaming.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Sounds good, I'll just OC the 2500k then

thanks

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Recently bought a new PC

and a 28" 4k monitor online seperately; Do any of you have something similar? Reviews online list having trouble seeing everything due to the high resolution vs small size. So is 32+ the smallest size you'd say can comfortable display 4k? or is 28 adequate etc

until now the largest I've used is a 22" 1600 x 1080 so I have no idea

Hey guys, quick question. Thinking of doing an upgrade finally to my gaming desktop, was wondering what people think my bottleneck(s) are?

Posting specs here, would appreciate if people tell me what they think would get me most bang for my buck to replace.

cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    vid: Gtx 460 (used to run 2 in sli but 1 burnt out, only 1 now, I personally think its probably bottleneck)
    Memory = 6144MB Ram
    Moboard = gigabyte X58A-UD5 (should be plenty good enough for now)

Thanks

EDIT: I play quite a bit of csgo, mmos, building games like 7dtd, rust etc. and some 4X. And the off adventure / fps. Just want to be able to play DA:I for example with more than a few fps and elite dangerous maybe etc.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

GPU is easily the biggest bottleneck there.

Would GTX 970 be overkill?

I got the cash for that

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you're using like 1680x1050 monitor or something, maybe? More generally, it might be more than you absolutely need at this point in time, but I don't doubt you'll wind up taxing it with something in the next year or two.