Closed Thread
Page 2 of 167 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    hai guyz.

building a new pc, really unsure what motherboard to get w/ the following ( asus has 9 models of P8P67.... )
    Open to suggestions/additions as well.
    The i7 2600K is a waste unless you do heavy video transcoding and shit like that. If you're primarily a gamer, go with the i5 2500K and save yourself the cash. As for the Asus P8P67, get the basic model, make sure it's not -M as that's the micro ATX version which sucks. If you plan to do SLI in the future or need multiple network ports, go with the PRO, EVO, or Deluxe versions.

Also 12 GB of RAM seems like too much (again, if you're a gamer... if you use other RAM heavy apps disregard this) for everyday gaming. Unused RAM is wasted RAM... I'd go with 6 or 8 gigs tops. I also don't like the Phantom tower because it's airflow and cable management are lacking, but that's up to you.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    The i7 2600K is a waste unless you do heavy video transcoding and shit like that. If you're primarily a gamer, go with the i5 2500K and save yourself the cash. As for the Asus P8P67, get the basic model, make sure it's not -M as that's the micro ATX version which sucks. If you plan to do SLI in the future or need multiple network ports, go with the PRO, EVO, or Deluxe versions.

Also 12 GB of RAM seems like too much (again, if you're a gamer... if you use other RAM heavy apps disregard this) for everyday gaming. Unused RAM is wasted RAM... I'd go with 6 or 8 gigs tops. I also don't like the Phantom tower because it's airflow and cable management are lacking, but that's up to you.
    I do a lot of video encoding, so it's fine.
    12gb ram - problem is I have 8gb atm and frequently run at like 6-8gb used, moving to triple channel my options are 6/12gb so knowing I already hit that much ram use I'm going for the 12.

Interesting thoughts on case though, I thought it had decent interior space and such - what do you think are cases with really good flow/cable management/space to open it up as I have mansize hands that are too big to fiddle around inside small cases anymore

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Sandy Bridge runs its memory in Dual Channel, so 8 gigs of memory is just fine.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Sandy Bridge runs its memory in Dual Channel, so 8 gigs of memory is just fine.
    Yeah, that.

To be more specific about the NZXT Phantom case, they basically make the mounting points for fans proprietary so you have to go out and buy only NZXT brand case fans. A couple are included but the side fan isn't so you have to go and buy one yourself. And putting it generously, their fans suck. The case is well designed for airflow but... the fans aren't nearly as good as they should be, and you're locked into only one brand (or juryrigging it so you can mount an alternate fan) also the holes for cable management are smaller than I felt they should be. Also the top of the case isn't flat... but that's more of a personal preference thing.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks guys, saved me a major blunder on the ram front.
    Still got no clue about which mobo to get, and I'm going to look around at some other cases as well.

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

Think a 64GB ssd is enough for win7+rift? May put some editing programs on it as well.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Kind of a departure from gaming builds: Anyone know what kind of specs/components I should look for in a decent budget office PC? Relatively decent speed would be the only real requirement, obviously graphics not so much, but versatility in terms of graphical output jacks would be nice.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Jintu View Post
    Think a 64GB ssd is enough for win7+rift? May put some editing programs on it as well.
    Yeah should be fine. ~60 GB to me is the lowest I'd consider safe.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Kind of a departure from gaming builds: Anyone know what kind of specs/components I should look for in a decent budget office PC? Relatively decent speed would be the only real requirement, obviously graphics not so much, but versatility in terms of graphical output jacks would be nice.
    If it's just a workstation PC then you can get away with integrated graphics. The only trouble with that is usually a lack of output jacks (depending on the motherboard - some of the better/pricier ones will have HDMI).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hi recently came into a little bit of money and would really like to get myself some sort of gaming rig i have around £600 bugdet and have everything except the rig itself and a monitor.

I was looking at this http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/ca...les_II&ref=add

No idea what im really looking at anymore the last time I built or bought myself a system a radeon x800 was one of the best around. I simply looked at that rig in the link because of the price vs what else I have been looking at.

Cheers for any help you guys can offer!

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    If it's just a workstation PC then you can get away with integrated graphics. The only trouble with that is usually a lack of output jacks (depending on the motherboard - some of the better/pricier ones will have HDMI).
    Mainly wondering how strong of cpu/ram I'd want look at...and I guess if it'd just be cheaper to get a pre-built that comes with OS/Office

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Mainly wondering how strong of cpu/ram I'd want look at...and I guess if it'd just be cheaper to get a pre-built that comes with OS/Office
    If it's just for like everyday office work (Word/Excel/Email/DB/Accounting/Web) you can go low rent on the CPU. If you do a lot of multitasking like I do (i.e. you have everything open at once, plus 15 browser tabs, a radio stream and perhaps a few non-work related programs) go with a larger amount of memory. Try this:

CPU - Core i3-2100
    Board - MSI H67MS-E43 (includes VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs for integrated video)
    Memory - Crucial 2x4GB DDR3-1333 Kit
    PSU - Corsair CX500

The rest you can fill in depending on your needs.. as far as a case goes I'd go with something really basic that has a decent cooling setup.

Edit: Oh yeah, that's true huh.. If you need the programs included then I'd say go with a pre-built machine from say Dell or HP's small office/workstation lines.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A big thing with a prebuilt would potentially be a good service contract, depending on the situation. In a professional environment, being able to call Dell and have a technician (or part) there next day to swap something is rather nice to minimize downtime.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks for the earlier advice guys, been over and revised my spec a bit, can anyone see any obvious problems/etc with this?

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8...finalmaybe.jpg

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Thanks for the earlier advice guys, been over and revised my spec a bit, can anyone see any obvious problems/etc with this?

You noticed several of those parts are preorder status right? Just making sure!

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I noticed! <3

Do I need a bigger PSU than 850 to handle it? Seems to be around 700w on most calculators I could find, will capacitor aging screw me in 2-3 years? ( ie do I need a 950w? ).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

850 should be fine for that.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dark Fleet case is alright, but a royal pain in the ass to actually work in. Also, since it's steel-framed, it's quite heavy (but can be quiet!). Same basic problems that plague the Performance series (P180, P182, P183, P190, etc.). For what it costs, there are any of a number of mid or full tower options that are pretty damn excellent. I don't think you shouldn't buy that case, but I do think you should look for more reviews/feedback on cases in general. Coolermaster, Lian Li, Corsair, Silverstone, etc. all make excellent cases, many of which will likely be easier to work with.

NH-D14 is a great cooler, it's also hueger than xbawks, just be prepared for that. For the $90 that it costs, the Thermalright Silver Arrow is better and cheaper, as well. Directron has the Silver Arrow for $75 plus shipping (~$5). Both are enormous two-array coolers, the Silver Arrow ships with 2 ThermalRight TY-140 140mm fans (which are very good, and quiet), believe the Noctua ships with 2 140mm fans that can push more air (at 1800 RPM) but are much, much louder. If you want something a tad smaller, there are a ton of options. From Thermalright, the Venomous X, TRUE-120, Archon (which I picked up). There's a very nice looking new cooler from Zerotherm as well, the ZT-10D (much cheaper than Thermalright or Noctua coolers). Plus a bunch of new ones from Prolimatech that look pretty solid.

RAM is fine for a Sandy Bridge build, but if possible, look at 1.5V RAM. Keeps the Sandy Bridge memory controller happier (1.65V works, 1.5V tends to be more stable).

Ditch the XFX PSU, grab either a Corsair AX series or Seasonic X series. Newer platform (same under the skin, Seasonic is the OEM for Corsair's AX series), more efficient (easily 80+ Gold), more stable voltage regulation.

6990... complete waste of money unless you're running a 30" display or a big Eyefinity setup. There's just no sane reason to spend that much money on a video card for 99.9% of people. What's your application? If it's not 3+ screen Eyefinity or running Crysis 1 at 2560x1600, save yourself a pile of money buying a 6970, 6850CF, GTX570, GTX 560 SLI, etc.

Finding the Vertex 3 will be tricky, it's by far the best SSD available, but it's also out of stock the moment it comes back in.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks for the cooler info, It's hard to find a definitive X is the best air cooler as there are no specific cooler only review compilations that are up to date
    ( Swapping DH14 > Silver Arrow ).

6990... complete waste of money unless you're running a 30" display or a big Eyefinity setup. There's just no sane reason to spend that much money on a video card for 99.9% of people. What's your application? If it's not 3+ screen Eyefinity or running Crysis 1 at 2560x1600, save yourself a pile of money buying a 6970, 6850CF, GTX570, GTX 560 SLI, etc.
    3x 1200p monitors.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Fair enough. Still, consider 2 full cards in SLI/CrossFire, rather than 2 GPUs on one PCB. A pair of GTX570s or 6970s (or even 6950s unlocked to 6970s) will give the same or better performance with less work, for the same price.

The best places I've found to look for air cooler reviews are [H]ardOCP and XBit Labs. Both have pretty robust test protocols and a fair data sample. XBit tends to test OC'd at higher clocks/heat (more like what buyers of $80 coolers will be doing), [H] uses a thermocouple rather than software to measure temps (more accurate). They tend to stop showing older coolers in newer reviews unless they remain at or near the top of the heap, but unless you're really going for best-of-breed, any of the sub-$50 options are close enough that it's not worth splitting hairs over.

XBit rates the Thermalright Archon at the very top in its testing suite, while [H]'s protocol tends to favor 2 array coolers, but their results tend to be broadly similar, and the differences at the very top are pretty small.

I personally went with the Archon because it's a little easier to manage (very tall and wide, but less outright massive than a Silver Arrow or DH14), and with 1 TY140 fan by default, it's a bit quieter. I don't plan on doing a long-term overclock higher than about 4.4GHz because I want this PC to last a long time and don't want extreme voltage shortening CPU life. I'll test how far it will go, then back it off, and the real purpose of the ultra-high-end air cooling is to keep load temps down.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 167 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast