Closed Thread
Page 5 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

May want to wait on a Z68 board instead of a P67. Reviews are just starting to hit, chipset is in the new iMacs, etc. Boards should be out pretty soon. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/i...caching-review

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Kingeric View Post
    Any reason you want 1333 speed RAM instead of 1600?
    Not really

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    May want to wait on a Z68 board instead of a P67. Reviews are just starting to hit, chipset is in the new iMacs, etc. Boards should be out pretty soon. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/i...caching-review
    Just glancing over it, the only issue was with SSD caching? I wasn't planning on getting a SSD anytime soon, would that still affect me because there are more to this than I understand?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The current situation with P67 and H67 basically splits some of the features you may want in the long run.

The P67 allows for overclocking, but can't use the GPU built in to Sandy Bridge CPUs. The H67 can use the GPU, but can't overclock. The Z68 can do both.

While most aren't probably looking to use the integrated GPU as a GPU, Intel also built in Quick Sync, which is sort of like CUDA or whatever AMD is calling theirs now (App Acceleration?). Basically, using a GPU for stuff other than graphics. Makes sense, in a way, GPUs are just specialized CPUs, and if you can write code that falls into what they're good at, they can blow generalized CPUs away. As an example, the results of Folding@Home on the PS3 or for graphics cards - limited subset of operations they can do, but they do them really fast.
    Quick Sync, thus far, has mostly been put into transcoding apps and the like (which it's rather good at). It's also, officially, only been available if you're using the GPU. Kind of a strange mix, since a power user would probably want a discrete card, etc...but still, that's how it's been.

The article I linked is showing testing with it because it can be made accessible via software (3rd party atm) even if you're using a discrete GPU. As of right now? Kind of experimental. Maybe it won't really go anywhere. But, on the chance it does, P67 means you won't be able to use it, Z68 means you could.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Are there any Z68's currently out that won't rape my anus?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Price premium is minor, but the selection is low right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=z68&x=0&y=0 for some.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Any reason you want 1333 speed RAM instead of 1600?
    Just as a note, Sandy Bridge memory management is so good that the real performance impact of different RAM speeds is much less than in prior generations. Increasing speed or tightening timings does yield better results, but the savings are fairly minor (CAS8 DDR3-1333 to CAS9 DDR3-1600 is a less than 5% improvement). All depends on whether the cost difference is semi-in-line with the performance difference.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Price premium is minor, but the selection is low right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=z68&x=0&y=0 for some.
    No ratings makes me a sad puppy

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

posting in tech deals as well but re: PSUs earlier,
    Newegg has SeaSonic X750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply for $120 after applying coupon code EMCYTZT453 at checkout. Shipping is free.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

That's a good deal. The differences between the X750 and X760 are very minor. If you need to power 2 GPUs today or in the future, that's a hard value prop to beat.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

ordered the last of my parts today!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-127-_-Product got this earlier in the week.. would have gotten the other PSU posted if i had known in time :[

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-493-_-Product
    Motherboard

arctic 5 paste

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-20231314-L0C
    memory that i got a few weeks back

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-065-_-Product
    processor cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-060-_-Product
    additional fan for processor cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133377
    vidya card

got a 2600k since my dad is obsessed with buying the best thing you can

got that 80 gb SSD for $80 that newegg put up today. and a 1.5 tb 7200 rpm drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-093-_-Product case!

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Changed My RAM to this, Better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233144
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah. If your thinking about a tower cpu cooler, check your ram location on the mb, those are some tall heat spreaders

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

G.skill ripjaws fit under 99% of the tower heatsinks and look cooler imo.

Their CL8 1600 RAM just price dropped to $99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-445-_-Product

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pretty good haul there Van. I wish you'd mentioned you were looking at the LANboy so I could tell you to stay about 10 miles away from it. It's a raging piece of shit with horrible airflow, high temps, and it attracts dust more than Jessica Alba attracts men.

Other than that... there are now better thermal compounds than AS5, but it's still a decent choice.

Everything else is decent except for the semi-lame PSU. Thermaltake is just about at the top of my "overrated" brands list. Most of their products are middle of the pack, at best. Some not even that high.

The Vengeance is good RAM, Rags, you'll be fine. I decided to try GSkill since they tend to be more consistent with their actual IC choices, but at the end of the day, Corsair has great support, and if your RAM works as advertised, everything past that is gravy. If I could do one thing differently, I'd get RAM with small heat spreaders or none at all, since DDR3 doesn't use much power or generate much heat, meaning that big spreaders interfering with large HSFs is more of a concern than RAM overheating, even if OC'd.

G.skill ripjaws fit under 99% of the tower heatsinks and look cooler imo.

Their CL8 1600 RAM just price dropped to $99.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-445-_-Product
    I cannot mount my Archon south-to-north because the heat spreaders on my Ripjaws are too tall. East-to-west mounting is simple due to how narrow the Archon is, but I can't take advantage of the top 140mm exhaust fan position since I can't mount south-to-north.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Well, I meant towers directing air out the rear of the case.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

trying to build a relatively cheap gaming PC, and this is the best I could come up with under $1,000 on ibuypower.com. any thoughts? please be kind, I'm still learning a lot when it comes to PCs and components.

also, I have never custom-ordered a PC before, so if you have any tips or know of a better website to use, I would appreciate it. I don't like the fact that a lot of stuff - like the PSU - doesn't mention what brand it is, but then again I have no idea what brands would be good.

my theory was to go cheap with everything but the processor and video card, both of which I picked based on suggestions from this thread. this theory is probably balls, but it's the only theory I have. please feel free to school me... again, kindly if you could

1 x Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black )
    1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
    1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )
    1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module)
    1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - PALIT Sonic - Core: 900MHz - Single Card )
    1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
    1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 -- 3x PIC-E 2.0 x16, DVMT Technology )
    1 x Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Standard )
    1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
    1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
    1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Don't go cheap on the power supply. Get a good named brand one, even though they're more expensive. Almost every burned out piece of hardware I've ever seen was because of a cheap crappy power supply. 500 gb is also kinda small for a hard drive. I'd find at least a 1 tb.

Also in your list the video card is listed twice kinda, that's weird.

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - PALIT Sonic - Core: 900MHz - Single Card )
    1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Any power supply brands that you prefer? The ones offered on the site within my price range are Thermaltake, Casegears, Corsair, and a Coolermaster that is a bit above what I want to pay but could maybe go for.

For the video card, I think they are just telling you that the manufacturer of the card will be a major brand, but the deal offered right now is for a Palit card, so I guess that part is redundant.

One thing I forgot to ask: On the previous page, I saw the ASUS P8Z68 motherboard recommended, but it was a bit more expensive than the Gigabyte I picked. Is there a major difference?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

also, I have never custom-ordered a PC before, so if you have any tips or know of a better website to use, I would appreciate it. I don't like the fact that a lot of stuff - like the PSU - doesn't mention what brand it is, but then again I have no idea what brands would be good.
    Are you only looking at sites that will build it for you, or have you considered putting the machine together yourself? If you've done a little in the way of swapping components, reformatting your machine, and so on, then building isn't that big a leap.

Regarding PSUs... This article for both a little humor, and to underscore the point that you get what you pay for.

That said, one thing to figure with PSUs is that the retail brands you see are not generally the actual manufacturers of the units they sell. This article has a list of a lot of the actual OEMs for units on the shelves - unless of course they're actually being sold under the OEM's name (like Seasonic or Delta).

Personally, I think close to everything I have currently is actually a Seasonic-built (Antec, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair). Like other components though, I wouldn't go purely off of brand name - if you can, look for some reviews 'cause nearly any company occasionally puts out something crappy.

my theory was to go cheap with everything but the processor and video card, both of which I picked based on suggestions from this thread. this theory is probably balls, but it's the only theory I have. please feel free to school me... again, kindly if you could
    It's pretty well in line with how most budget builds tend to go. Maybe not phrased exactly that way, but the end result is similar.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast