Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thuronn View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&leaderboard=1

My computer of 5 years finally died about a month ago. Saw this on newegg today.

Not looking to spend more than 700ish and also don't need superultramaxsettings.

Decent purchase? Playing ffxi/xiv/wow mostly
    Will it play those games? Yes. Is it a decent purchase? In my opinion no. I'm actually about to post a pc for sale locally that in my opinion is much much better and I will be willing to take as low as $525. My point is, if you take the time to build it you can have better.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to use my logitech Z323 speakers with our new tv. The issue is the tv only has an optical digital audio outlet and of course the Z323 is a 3.5mm jack. I use two computers currently with the tv. My gaming and our htpc. Would a 2 x RCA Male / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female work? Or should I be looking at something else?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm trying to use my logitech Z323 speakers with our new tv. The issue is the tv only has an optical digital audio outlet and of course the Z323 is a 3.5mm jack. I use two computers currently with the tv. My gaming and our htpc. Would a 2 x RCA Male / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female work? Or should I be looking at something else?
    Do you use the TV for anything other than just the two PCs?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mabubeezareel View Post
    Do you use the TV for anything other than just the two PCs?
    Just PCs. I doubt we'll go back to cable/dish.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Then there's a few different things you can do.

One option would be to get a cheap DAC, like this one from Monoprice, along with the appropriate cables: optical to go from the TV to the DAC, and a Male Stereo RCA to Female 3.5mm. This option may or may not allow you to control the volume via the TV though, since a lot of TVs have a fixed volume level for the audio output. Also, this option may or may not work depending on how you have the audio from the PCs going into the TV. If using HDMI, then you'll want to check to see if the TV can pass the audio from the source to the optical output.

Another option would be to get a basic switchbox that you can use to manually switch between the two PCs to use the speakers. There's a million of these on Amazon, so just pick one that's in your price range that's got decent reviews. You'll also need the appropriate 3.5mm to Stereo RCA cables as well.

You could always opt to use a Y-splitter from both PCs into the speakers, but I would recommend that as a last resort only.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

So I've been playing FFXIV on PS4 pretty heavy and I've been thinking about investing into a PC. I've been looking around on Newegg and they have the DIY section with premade builds that you can put together on your own. I was wondering if anyone has had good experience with this, and if it was worth it to go with a build as apposed to making one on your own?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1715645

This build currently is what's got my eye. What I'm wondering is if the performance of this PC build would be that much better/different than my experience on PS4.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    So I've been playing FFXIV on PS4 pretty heavy and I've been thinking about investing into a PC. I've been looking around on Newegg and they have the DIY section with premade builds that you can put together on your own. I was wondering if anyone has had good experience with this, and if it was worth it to go with a build as apposed to making one on your own?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1715645

This build currently is what's got my eye. What I'm wondering is if the performance of this PC build would be that much better/different than my experience on PS4.
    It looks good, but you could do better building it yourself. If you haven't built before, it's not as hard as one might think. With planning and patience you could build a better pc for the price or a little more money.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm going to ask a lot here, sorry in advance. Long story short, my pc took a dive yesterday. I've got about $500 to spend and I need everything. The only thing I'd like is for it to be built inside this case http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=11-139-015. I would be very grateful for any help. The last time I opened up a pc America online was still popular -.- as far as what I'll be doing with the pc, it will only be for ffxi and streaming anime.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

1. That link doesn't take you to a case.

2. Since you haven't opened a box in a while, building one is probably not your way to go. Buy a refurbished or rebuilt pretty cheaply. FFXI graphics requirements are laughable these days and anything can stream, your phone can do it. This is an example of a refurbished PC http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...L_kaAjd48P8HAQ

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    1. That link doesn't take you to a case.

2. Since you haven't opened a box in a while, building one is probably not your way to go. Buy a refurbished or rebuilt pretty cheaply. FFXI graphics requirements are laughable these days and anything can stream, your phone can do it. This is an example of a refurbished PC http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...L_kaAjd48P8HAQ
    That's weird. It was a military green corsair brand mid tower. Thank you for the reply too! I will consider refurbished options for sure while I try and catch up on all the new technology and terminology.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If you specifically want that case and know how to put it together then it's not a terrible idea to just do it yourself. You can get a lot of value for $500. You could get a Pentium G3258 with a budget board capable of overclocking if you want to go Intel. If not and you have a Microcenter nearby you can always get an AMD FX-6300 combo. Try to link that case again.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Kalmado, is of course, correct. Your best value will always be to build it yourself. I was focused on the comment that you weren't up to speed on more recent evolutions and I interpreted your comment to mean you weren't comfortable building it yourself.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm looking to build myself a gaming PC since I finally have the option too. Main things I'll be running would be FFXIV and Arma 3, but I'm not sure where I should start. I've read in a couple places that a GeForce 750 ti is a solid choice for FFXIV, but I have no clue. Ideally I want to build something that can last me a few years before I have to upgrade anything. What would be a solid choice of GPU/CPU to run FFXIV/Arma 3 at medium settings without a major hit to frames and my wallet? Ideally I don't want to break $850 tops if possible, and if it helps, I'm wanting to go with an Intel build. Thanks in advance.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You're building from the ground up? Need a case, power supply, etc?

edit: Anyway, here is a pretty terrible build done on a whim: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tzp9nQ

$630 leaves room in your budget for room to make changes from what I threw together there.

At a glance, I'd improve the case, power supply and RAM.

Alternatively you could buy this prebuilt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1715645

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    You're building from the ground up? Need a case, power supply, etc?
    Yes, that is my plan.
    Anyway, here is a pretty terrible build done on a whim: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tzp9nQ

$630 leaves room in your budget for room to make changes from what I threw together there.

At a glance, I'd improve the case, power supply and RAM.

Alternatively you could buy this prebuilt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1715645
    Edit - Thanks, Buffy. Still curious though, is the GTX 750 Ti good bang for your buck? I was actually looking at the exact same one in your link. And lastly, is the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge still holding strong? I remember a few years ago it was incredibly good, or so I was told. How does it stack up against some of the new i5 CPUs?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

For those that do not want to build or will not build a pc themselves, what would you pay as a service fee for someone to do it for you? The reason I ask is I'm going to start building as a part time job and am curious what people would expect to pay. Thanks in advance!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    For those that do not want to build or will not build a pc themselves, what would you pay as a service fee for someone to do it for you? The reason I ask is I'm going to start building as a part time job and am curious what people would expect to pay. Thanks in advance!
    Probably depends on the complexity of what they want. Those that are completely ignorant are the ones buying pre-builts from Best Buy and w/e.

When I built my last, think I paid a local computer company $125 to assemble and install the components I supplied? At the time, it was worth every penny to me cause I didn't wanna screw up inserting the CPU or getting the thermal paste wrong.

I know more now than I did then, so I wouldn't do the same thing now.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Depends on how in depth it's going. This was a few years ago, but when I worked at Fry's, full PC build with drivers, window installation & updates we charged $150 I think. Just parts and post test I think was 100.

If you have a Fry's and Best Buy near you, i'd just poke your head in and ask what they charge for that service and adjust as necessary.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My very first pc I did for myself I couldn't get it to post and Best Buy charged me $70. I asked them what it was and they told me the front fan in the case was the problem. A few months later, when I started really tinkering, I took it apart again and they didn't even plug in the front fan. The pc worked, and that's what mattered, but it made me determined to learn more.

This venture is really because I love working with computers and if I can make a few extra bucks while learning more and getting more experience then I'm thrilled. Below is a few examples of what I have done. Some with pictures. Regarding prices, I am a deal hound and am very patient when buying. Also, I've had friends give me parts they don't need or want which helps in profit margin.

My personal HTPC

Spoiler: show
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $49.00)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $12.99)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($0.00)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $62.49)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $20.00)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 6450 1GB Video Card (Purchased For $9.99)
    Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case (Purchased For $0.00)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $19.99)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $22.99)
    Total: $197.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 20:11 EDT-0400

First edition of my gaming pc

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/34Lkcf

Gaming pc in it's current state

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/6mkTwP

First pc built to sell

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Pg99TW

Current pc I'm almost done with to sell

Spoiler: show
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $74.99)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $34.69)
    Memory: Patriot 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (Purchased For $29.99)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $77.99)
    Case: NZXT M59 - 001BK ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $15.40)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $34.99)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $16.99)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $2.99)
    Total: $349.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 20:17 EDT-0400

I understand many people are programmed to head into Best Buy, Walmart, etc and just buy a machine because they see and hear the buzz words thrown around about how great the newest HP is at a rock bottom price. My goal is to do business with people that are interested in getting the most value out of their machine by maximizing their dollar. Regarding what my mark up would be, it really depends I think. The prices I've paid for the above parts have been huge sales, extreme luck, and much patience. If a client wants their pc RIGHT NOW then price is obviously going to be different.

I appreciate any feedback anyone gives on my builds above and my ideas regarding this venture. Thank you!

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

It has been quite some time since I built a gaming rig, and I would like to call upon you fine people to lend a hand!

I would like to build a custom desktop, specifically for FFXIV. Due to the kiddos, I am on a strict budget of $650, and would like to stay as close to that as possible. I will be buying piece by piece over a period of a couple weeks.

I prefer Intel over AMD, but anything goes. I already have a 120g SSD, and a 1tb HDD that I am going to take from this laptop that I am using currently. Thanks in advance for any tips!

/e Also already have WIN7 on the SSD, so I won't need an OS