1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 870 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 820 860 868 869 870 871 872 880 920 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments from the Devs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Try tanking on war in a dungeon. I was out of tp almost every fight due to having to spam overpower to keep hate

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I actually ran out of TP less often on MNK/DRG than I did WAR. Warrior chews through TP. Whether or not that rate of expenditure is necessary, I don't know. I don't know because people cried on the OF to get colors back instead of the actual threat% display and because of this we have an even less accurate threat tree than we did in 1.0.
    This change is driving me up the wall. Apparently numbers between 0 and 100 are difficult for OFers to comprehend.

I liked the enmity gauges the way they were. >_> Why Dev Team capitulated on this point is beyond me.

EL - Airship Pirate
    Airship Captain of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The same people who curse us knowing a monsters level and begging for the glorious /check system...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Try tanking on war in a dungeon. I was out of tp almost every fight due to having to spam overpower to keep hate
    This isn't really necessary though, especially if your party is smart enough to focus on taking the enemies out one at a time.
    Also, don't forget that you also can have flash. Your limited MP means you can only cast it a few times but that's fine considering its probably the only spell you'll cast.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

When you start in Limsa, you can't have flash in the first dungeon. Also, when tanking in a PUG you are likely going to have to do all the heavy lifting. Trying to get party members to understand "HEY DO NOT ATTACK WHAT I AM NOT ATTACKING" is futile.

Not saying that Marauder(sorry meant that instead of WAR earlier) is a bad tank, it's just a constant TP hemorrhage.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

When you start in Limsa, you can't have flash in the first dungeon.
    You can and I did.
    Just unlock Gladiator while sending notes to the GC leaders... its easy.

I farmed up Flash and Second Wind before leaving Thanalan because I figured it'd be the smart thing to do.

Flash will probably be the single most often equipped and wasted ability slot on Warrior.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Flash will probably be the single most often equipped and wasted ability slot on Warrior.
    You complain about TP on the class and then call an ability that performs an essential function without using TP a waste... this doesn't even begin to make sense.

When you get two casts of something compared to better utility from other abilities, then yeah.

TP won't be an issue, I'll have full time Paeon.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

When you get two casts of something compared to better utility from other abilities, then yeah.

TP won't be an issue, I'll have full time Paeon.
    Two casts and constantly regenerating MP so by the time you want to cast it a 3rd time, you can... and Ethers that refill your entire MP bar in a single use essentially giving you 3 more casts with no associated TP cost.
    Yeah, its worth a slot.

600TP saved is 600TP earned (and this is assuming the MP regeneration stops at this point while we all know it doesn't).
    Each time you cast it, you're saving 100 more TP.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    You can and I did.
    Just unlock Gladiator while sending notes to the GC leaders... its easy.

I farmed up Flash and Second Wind before leaving Thanalan because I figured it'd be the smart thing to do.

Hm, yeah. Probably would have helped but oh well. Also, does Flash generate the same amount of enmity on MRD that it does on GLD?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Also, does Flash generate the same amount of enmity on MRD that it does on GLD?
    Can't say I tested it, but its certainly more than enough to do the job without even needing to spam it.
    Generally speaking, one Flash was enough to keep a group of mobs in place as long as the PT decided to take out mobs one at a time but just to be on the safe side I'd usually either cast it again or more likely use overpower after.
    The other thing I appreciate about Flash is that its just easier to use because you don't have to concern yourself as much with the positioning of the enemies since its a circle rather than a cone.

Not that overpower is 'hard' to use, its just that flash is easier and therefore its easier to line up quickly. The only real detriments are that you can't use it as much and it doesn't do damage (not that overpower does a ton per enemy anyway.)

Anywho, more formal testing would have to be done to really say much of use.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

as long as the PT decided to take out mobs one at a time.
    amateur hour

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    amateur hour
    Care to explain?
    The same amount of damage is being done whether you have 3 people fighting 3 enemies or 3 people fighting 1 enemy (assuming the enemies have the same defense values, etc.)

EDIT: The only difference is that each individual enemy takes longer to die so you have more mobs attacking the tank at once for longer when you decide not to take em out one at a time, not that this ever really seemed to make a difference... but still.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

When you start in Limsa, you can't have flash in the first dungeon.
    It needs to be the first set cross-class skill. Getting capped to 15 whittles down your cross-class list to just one, but as others have said, Flash is usable if you've placed it properly.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Typically in dungeons me and mine just spammed AoEs. Naturally this was after Lv18 when things like Quick Nock & Fire 2 are usable.

I never saw a reason not to use AoE unless I was forced to fight one target.

100 potency attack on 3 mobs is more than 150 potency attack on 1 mob.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Typically in dungeons me and mine just spammed AoEs. Naturally this was after Lv18 when things like Quick Nock & Fire 2 are usable.

I never saw a reason not to use AoE unless I was forced to fight one target.
    Yeah, if you have the classes with the ability to spam AoE then sure.
    I was rolling with a set crew and we just rolled on the jobs we were fuckin' around on so the setup was kinda lame and didn't have much in the way of AoE damage.
    Even so, I'd wager that in a party like that, I'd want flash even more just so I could alternate it and overpower rather than spamming away all of my TP.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I guess I should also clarify almost all of my time in Beta was spent as Black Mage, so I used AoE for everything and our tank did in fact, use Flash.

So I could be completely wrong about the Archer part but I remember seeing Quick Nock often enough in some Thanalan dungeon.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eagleheart Hellsbane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Two casts and constantly regenerating MP so by the time you want to cast it a 3rd time, you can... and Ethers that refill your entire MP bar in a single use essentially giving you 3 more casts with no associated TP cost.
    Yeah, its worth a slot.

600TP saved is 600TP earned (and this is assuming the MP regeneration stops at this point while we all know it doesn't).
    Each time you cast it, you're saving 100 more TP.
    You need to change your sig, because I keep watching it over and over, losing valuable time each day that I could be spending on work or hobbies. ._.

Back on topic, Flash is definitely an essential for Marauder/Warrior, and I cannot imagine how it could ever be construed as a wasted slot. o.0 MRD/WAR is a tankable heavy hitter, enmity is one of their prime functions. Flash generates significant enmity on multiple targets. Simply because WAR is also good at dealing damage does not mean that a tanking ability is a waste of a slot, even if their resource pool for the technique is limited. (o.O ) Meds, autorefresh, heck perhaps a gear piece or two.

Admittedly, Gladiator has several very useful abilities to choose from when subbing, but I think Flash rates very highly amongst those choices.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

The point is Sleep is for pussies.