1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 5 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 910 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 860 900 908 909 910 911 912 920 960 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments from the Devs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm glad the top half of the Onion's head isn't completely severed from the rest of its body like XII. I do miss the pumpkin guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I'm glad the top half of the Onion's head isn't completely severed from the rest of its body like XII. I do miss the pumpkin guy though.
    Hey man, what's your problem with Canadians?

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by gaogaostegosaurus View Post
    This was more what I meant when I was saying gladiator (the sword user) makes things awkward since if we broaden the scope of swords to include everything that has a blade (btw, the word for daggers does make a connection to kenjutsu-shi, oops) then we've got pretty much every weapon and job that people seem interested in left stuck under gladiator (a large percentage of FF jobs wield blades, right?). If we add all those weapons under new classes, the naming on the JP side is going to quickly become stupid as they already used up kenjutsu-shi (what else are Japanese people gonna call the katana using class?).

You guys are right in that if they really want to keep the system they'll hand wave it somehow, and most will eventually not particularly care and people like me will deal with it. I'm just saying that there are some Japanese naming issues tied in here. And the amount of hand waving will likely be groan inducing, lol.

Edit: made a whoops about daggers
    Must be a glass half empty / half full situation here. Even with that, you can still differentiate by style (throwing blades, fencing, etc) or by construction (European style, Japanese style, African).
    Perhaps thief comes from musketeer using a gun with a dagger off-hand. Maybe Blue Mage using THMs rules applied to swords (constructed of natural mats like bone or needs a gem focus).
    Like I said, a little imagination goes a long way.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Unbelievable. There's actually a 324 post thread in the BFs about how legacy players shouldn't be able to party with new players via duty finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Unbelievable. There's actually a 324 post thread in the BFs about how legacy players shouldn't be able to party with new players via duty finder.
    LOL I read that crap, how legacy players are already experts..

Old players still have to relearn everything...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why are we still stuck with XI's weapons when it comes to jobs? DRK does not need Scythes or Great Swords, they've actually used swords and shield more often than not (Cecil being the most obvious example). BLU doesn't need swords either, there are many more unique and cool weapons they've used in the series like a whip (Quistis being the best BLU in FF history ).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Comments from the Devs

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Why are we still stuck with XI's weapons when it comes to jobs? DRK does not need Scythes or Great Swords, they've actually used swords and shield more often than not (Cecil being the most obvious example). BLU doesn't need swords either, there are many more unique and cool weapons they've used in the series like a whip (Quistis being the best BLU in FF history ).
    In my perspective as a legacy player and beta tester, it has nothing to do with XI weapon archetypes. The issue is that with a sword being the lowest dps weapon type in the game, a job like DRK will be at a serious disadvantage without some serious help from creative devs. This is under the assumption DRK will branch from GLA rather than MRD.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    If the ability to trade during duty remains intact (I never bothered to check last week) then this is a legitimate concern, though likely not for the reasons mentioned in that thread.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    The issue is that with a sword being the lowest dps weapon type in the game, a job like DRK will be at a serious disadvantage without some serious help from creative devs.
    Hmm, I gotta say, that had not even crossed my mind. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    If the ability to trade during duty remains intact (I never bothered to check last week) then this is a legitimate concern, though likely not for the reasons mentioned in that thread.
    Cannot trade during duty.

Also I thought sword was one of the highest dps weapons in the game. Its pretty high according to xivdb

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    LOL I read that crap, how legacy players are already experts..

Old players still have to relearn everything...
    Aside that fact, there really is no valid reason other than special snowflake syndrome. I dunno why new people are so determined to make the older players hate them. But they're doing a good job!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Comments from the Devs

I should be more specific and say lowest base damage weapons. Tbh I haven't look through xivdb weapon changes. Swords may have high dps because of low delay.

Edit: Just looked (site is awful on mobile btw) and swords are pretty high dps. It's important to note however that dps is a pretty poor gauge of job output now though. Pld swords might have great auto-attack ratings but their combos are limited compared to a real dps class.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Jorildyn View Post
    I should be more specific and say lowest base damage weapons. Tbh I haven't look through xivdb weapon changes. Swords may have high dps because of low delay.
    I still do not see how that is an issue with adding drk, a simple trait like Two-handed grip, or something that gives a huge base buff to sword dmg. They can even disable shield usage and give a new battle stance animation holding the sword with both hands. SE has been pretty darn creative so far, I doubt something like that would be an issue for them.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Comments from the Devs

That's precisely the kind of thing I've called for to be added for DRK. When we see the new damage formula, if weapon dmg is an important part of the calc on ability dmg then it will matter.

I would think the DPS stat would be much less important than the actual damage rating considering how much of your damage comes from skills compared to AA.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I would think the DPS stat would be much less important than the actual damage rating considering how much of your damage comes from skills compared to AA.
    Not sure if anyone has mathed out the 2.0 formulas, but in 1.0 your skill damage was based off of the "DPS" value, not the "Damage" value. SE officially responded shortly after people figured it out, and they basically said "We did it that way because it made it so that cross-class weaponskills weren't unexpectedly overpowered/underpowered.

This is why the Garuda weapons were so powerful. They had relatively low damage ratings, but due to their delay being so low, their "DPS" value was higher than anything else.

I would love to know if anyone's done any testing on that front in 2.0.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There are many ways to get around this "issue". Right now both GLA and PLD are designed to be tanks: when DRK comes around there will be specific changes made for it (assuming it does come from GLA). Cecil is much stronger as a DRK compared to his PLD self at the same levels (not counting enemies with specific weaknesses to light damage) but he doesn't change his main weapon configuration (sword+shield). They could easily add DRK specific swords and shields.
    The biggest issue is the lack of weapon skills but that's where the ability change comes into place and there are many ways around it.
    SCH and SMN will likely shed some light on this as we already know some abilities will be changed when you switch to either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mathed out the 2.0 formulas, but in 1.0 your skill damage was based off of the "DPS" value, not the "Damage" value. SE officially responded shortly after people figured it out, and they basically said "We did it that way because it made it so that cross-class weaponskills weren't unexpectedly overpowered/underpowered.

This is why the Garuda weapons were so powerful. They had relatively low damage ratings, but due to their delay being so low, their "DPS" value was higher than anything else.

I would love to know if anyone's done any testing on that front in 2.0.
    Weapons have a DMG stat and an "auto-attack" stat now.

I find it more than a bit confusing because the listed DPS is based on the DMG/Delay, so what the hell is the "auto-attack" stat?

If the AA stat determines AA damage, then what's the point of the DPS stat? If the DPS stat determines skills damage, what's the point of the DMG stat (other than to calculate the DPS stat, which would be kind of stupid)?

The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)

Will you make the second jobs very different from their class or first job? For example, the Dark Knight is a very aggressive job and since you seem to want it to become the second Gladiator job (This has never been confirmed but since Yoshi-P always uses it as an example, you never know... ), don't you think Gladiator's abilities are in contradiction with his style?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):

I see what you mean. We created the system, but we do not necessarily need to follow it all the time. For example, let’s say that the Dark Knight is the second Gladiator job (attention, it is still not a confirmation), when you get its job stone at level 30, all acquired Gladiator skills will certainly be modified to better fit the image of the Dark Knight.

It was just to give an example to explain that we are not going to destroy how players consider different classes / jobs. It could be an interesting way to introduce future classes / jobs. We will consider your concerns on this issue, rest assured.
    This should make things more interesting, don't you think?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

All these faithless bastards need to recognize. Yoshi-P is not Tanaka, which sounds even more funny when you consider that he didn't even play Tanaka's love-child.