1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 55 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 23 hours, 55 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 1006 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments from the Devs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Odin
    BG Level

Comments from the Devs

In this thread we discuss what the devs have stated on the forums (that aren't worth their own thread). I'll compile the comments here (unofficial translations or official statements in English) to make it easy to check what they've said so far.

More on Materia:

By using the armor and weapons that you equip yourself with, you will generate "attachment points" and when your attachment points reach 100% you will be able to convert them into "materia." This is known as "materia conversion." "Materia" is a crystallized form of the weapon and armor’s stats that the player has used and formed an attachment to. During the materia conversion process, there will be fluctuations that result in NQ stat materia, as well as HQ stat materia, even when using the same type of item. However, even the NQ stat material will have beneficial stats. Also, you will be able to purchase and trade materia freely. Crafters will be able to utilize the catalysts that gatherers obtain and attach a single materia to an item (there is no chance of failure). The materia you will be able to attach will depend on the type of weapon and the type of stat that matches the equipment slot. There are a variety of different combinations of materia that can be attached to each equipment slot’s item, so each player will need to decide what they want to pursue. In addition to this, you will also be able to remove materia from items that have had materia attached to them. However, upon removal you will lose the materia, so you should probably only remove it when you definitely have a better upgrade to replace it with. Finally, rumors tell of a forbidden technique with a high risk of failure to attach another materia to an item that already has a materia attached to it…
    Combat system Q&A based on Matsui's Blueprint (long, so I'll just link to it):

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...l=1#post155331

Inviting members when engaged etc

As you can see by the discussion taking place, there are many facets involved in the current design of not being able to invite while engaged. We checked in with the dev. team and were informed that because we have not designed content centered around the need to swap party members, we do not plan on changing this. However, depending on the content we add in the future, there is a possibility that we may change our policy or implement specific exceptions. There will always be "what about [xyz] instance!" where being unable to invite is a hindrance, but overall the system was designed for specific purposes. We do appreciate the comments and feedback presented, and I'll be sure to pass these along as well.

I know that the disconnection/re-joining party issue was a concern here, so I made sure to follow up with the development team and seek a comment. They said that they would like to do something in the event that a player is disconnected due to an error and would like to re-join the party, and are looking into adding a mechanism to address this.
    Glowing equipment

We spoke with the development team about the possibility of more glowing equipment or weapons, and they said that there are some nice ideas being presented in the thread and that they would like to do it! Though it might be sometime far in the future, they hope that everyone will look forward to 'em! (P.S. I agree, the Lantern Shield looks awesome)
    UI mods (25/4/2011, official translation):

We checked in with the dev. team about their plans for custom user interfaces and we received confirmation from Yoshida that there are plans in place for supporting UI mods in the future.
    Hamlet defense battles (21/4/2011, official translation):

Checked into the status of hamlet defense battles for you all. While the details/concept won't be exactly the same after shifting to the new team, there is something similar planned. The current plan is to implement settlements for this purpose in a future patch.

LFG + Instant Dungeons (21/4/2011, official translation):

We discussed all of the latest opinions with Yoshida. While it won’t make it in time for the implementation of the raid dungeons that the development team is working on currently, we’re planning on implementing enhanced LFG (looking for group) and automated party creation features.

Also, while it won't be an easy task, we are also checking into the discussions for a cross-World instant party creation system.

Please continue to leave feedback so that your time and experiences while tackling dungeon-related content in the future can be enjoyable!
    Delivery box (21/4/2011, official translation):

We spoke with Yoshida about implementing a mailbox/delivery system for you guys. He wanted to assure you that of course this is being looked into, but it will take time to implement because it is difficult to execute without improving the server-related issues first.
    Ishgard coming after the combat adjustments (18/4/2011, official translation):

To speak to the original post: Abriael is pretty much right on the nose. It was stated that while there isn't a firm timeframe to share, the implementation of Ishgard, and related content, will debut after the battle fixes are introduced.

While we understand your enthusiasm to see Ishgard-related content and the upcoming battle fixes, and I know some of you want an exact year/month/day/hour/minute/second, we unfortunately don't have to share at this time.
    Regarding the patcher (18/4/2011, official translation):

We spoke with Yoshi-P about this very issue. He let us know that the development team is aware that the patch system is not performing as well as it should be. He also wanted us to assure you that they're planning to continue to investigate and address its deficits in the future
    Hiroshi Takai, Art director, further enhancement of battle effects (15/4/2011, official translation):

Hello everyone! This is design lead Takai!

As previously mentioned in the most recent Letter from the Producer, the development team is divided into a number of smaller teams that work together side-by-side on the overall scope of the game. While the effects team is one aspect of this, the work that was required to adjust the scale of battle effects was almost completely separate, made no impact on the work of other teams, and was something that we were able to complete single-handedly.

We’re aware that players feel that the game screen is looking fairly somber at the moment when it comes to graphics and effects. We’ll do our best to quickly release elements that are able to contribute to addressing that very issue.

This most recent battle effect size enhancement is similar to the case with the previous monster scale adjustments. Naturally we’re not done yet, and we’re currently making adjustments in conjunction with the battle team lead by Matsui. This collaboration is tied into various elements, as well as motion adjustments, related to the battle system and battle content and we’re moving steadily closer toward the releasing the first set of updates.

I’m sure I’m going to frustrate some of you with the fact that I can’t give you the specifics about the content or the release schedule, but know that this doesn’t just apply to effects; we’re also taking care of things related to the all around graphics. Hang in there until Yoshi-P makes his announcement!

Thanks!
    New genders!!11 (off. translation, 13/4/2011):

We talked to Yoshida and one of the things he mentioned was that the number of people wanting a female Roegadyn was pretty unexpected! He wanted us to let you know that the team will do their best to introduce missing genders alongside the launch of the PS3 version.
    Misc. crafting and gathering stuff (official translation, 12/4/2011):

Greetings fellow adventurers!

With the expansion of player storage space, the development team has been talking and would like to give a quick update on their future plans. First in order to decrease the number of necessary materials, they’re looking to adjust crafting recipe requirements. This will affect storage issues, but the development team will continue to make further adjustments to directly address that concern. The development team is also planning to adjust the currently cumbersome UI; however these adjustments are just the beginning.

Also regarding high quality +1 and +2 items, we have made an adjustment where they can no longer be obtained through combat; however they are still obtainable through crafting. We would like to hear your thoughts on whether or not it’s a good idea to remove them from crafting results altogether along with any other feedback on this subject.
    2h Abilities (12/4/2011, official translation):

As of now, we are holding an overall review on the battle system, including the review on actions for each class. This may sound like a self-applause but as one of the creators of FINAL FANTASY XI, we feel that a lot of 2 hour abilities were very useful from both tactical and job characteristic perspectives. Thus we are considering about implementing similar kind of actions in each class. However with the action recast, we are considering about giving a further look to see if 2 hours is an appropriate amount of time or not based on the average time spent on upcoming new contents such as dungeon content. This is because the image we are having with these strong actions is to allow the use only once during the challenge.
    Accessory point system (12/4/2011, official translation):

Currently the development team is reviewing the accessory point system, including the abolishment of the system as one of the options. However by abolishing the accessory point system and removing the limit, different issues will arise. For example, by allowing players to have more accessories equipped, the value and effect of each accessory will decrease. Also by having more accessories in possession, a storage space issue will become present. To prevent these issues from happening, development team is giving a deliberate thought so please give us some more time on this.

Crafting adjustments (12/4/2011, official translation):

Hello everyone, this is Yoshi-P!

This is the first post on fixes to the game economy that the crafting and gathering teams are working on under the leadership of Komoto. Sorry it’s taken so long to post, and thank you all for the great feedback!
    In regards to crafting, there have been a number of discussions in a number of threads, but before I actually reply to any of those individually, I’d like to first give you a summary of the current crafting system and the direction we’re taking it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among all synthesis-related fixes, our top priority is revamping existing recipes. We currently see the following problems bogging down crafters:

* Too many recipes requiring too many materials
    * Unbalanced rank requirements for obtaining materials and crafting items

We’re making considerable changes, all aimed at bolstering the role of Disciples of the Hand in Eorzea’s economy. Once the revised recipes are worked out, I’ll be sure to post in this thread again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also plan to introduce the below adjustments to the Discipline of the Hand “character arc,” together with the recipe changes mentioned above:

* Ease of solo crafting activities up to rank 20
    * More focused crafting and economic activity from rank 20 on

To start, we’ll be making progression to rank 20 for Disciples of the Hand and Land relatively easier. Beyond rank 20, we’ll have crafters participating in the market, and playing a more active role in the in-game economy.

We are planning a number of adjustments to the stats on crafted items, aimed at the following two ends:

* Create a characteristic uniqueness for Disciples of the Hand
    * Allow Disciples of the Hand to craft items in high demand

For any given rank, there are differences between the important stats on pieces of gear suited for different classes. In line with this, we will be making adjustments that let crafters tweak the stats on crafted gear to customize it for certain classes. (Of course, we’ll be balancing Discipline of War and Magic classes at the same time.)

I mentioned this in one of my previous letters. These new concepts are not limited to simply new elements in the synthesis process, but also aim to stimulate the economy as much as possible. Through crafting, we plan to breathe new life into the game’s economy by improving gilflow and the distribution of items, and ultimately improving both the merits of, and motivations for, all classes.
    Among the devs, we are tentatively calling this the Materia System, though that name may change. This new system will allow Disciples of the Hand to fuse materia to weapons and armor using special catalyst items gathered by Disciples of the Land.

* Disciples of War and Magic can customize and personalize their gear
    * Disciples of the Hand can answer the materia-fusing needs of others
    * Disciplies of the Land can gather catalyst items to meet the realm’s demands

I’ll be posting more details on the Materia System at a later date.

We’ve received a lot of feedback from players regarding the crafting gauge. So we actually tested the synthesis process without a gauge, and had our quality assurance team do the same. In the end, we thought it would be fairly simple to do away with the gauge altogether. We’ll be checking this out more carefully, however, so that future additions to the system will not negatively impact gameplay. This might take some time, so I have to ask for your patience until I’m in a position to write more about the direction we decide to take.
    On the other hand, we’re thinking of bringing in some low-level “instant” crafting—quick recipes players can bang out without having to invest too much time.

Last but not least, we have the repair system. While the current repair system serves as a way for crafters to put themselves in demand, it’s also obvious that it’s not very popular among Disciples of War and Magic. But, after the release of the Materia System (see above), I think that the repair system will begin to balance itself out a bit more. It’s going to take some time before that system is ready, though, so in the meantime we’ll be reassessing the required materials for making repairs.
    We’ve also received feedback on the high costs of repairing items via NPCs, but ask that you give us a little more time to keep an eye on this. Unfortunately, there aren’t many ways to take gil out of the game right now, but once we get a few more in, we’ll look at adjusting repair NPC costs.

By ushering in all of these changes, we’ll be drawing sharp distinctions between quest rewards, loot from battle, and the fruits of gatherer and crafter labors. In addition, it will also help to create more specific demands within the game economy. As always, we’re looking forward to your continued feedback and further discussion! For now, this is just an overview, and I’ll be making more posts in individual threads later.

Thanks!
    Character creation options (31/3/2011, official translation):

Greetings everyone!

First off I wanted to say that it's great to hear the kinds of things you're looking for when it comes to updating the character creation options. We're seeing lots of interesting ideas pop up! We spoke with Yoshida and he said that of course, while these kinds of suggestions and ideas will take some time, they do have plans for it in the future! He also feels that it's important to offer the option to change your existing character's appearance at the same time, too.

Sounds pretty exciting, huh? What do you guys think?
    Here's an official translation regarding Death Penalty (+ Item Wear) from 27/3/2011:

Death Penalty Implementation Ideas
    This is Producer/Director Yoshida.

Thanks for the large number of comments! I’m sorry for taking so long to respond!
    (I prioritized the preparation of the Producer letter and other scheduled tasks. ^^

After reading through all of the comments, I would like to tell you about the current plans for the death penalty.

* The death penalty is important (For the purpose of creating a sense of nervousness regarding battles)
    * Thinking of 2 kinds of death penalties

1. Definite occurrence of a ”Temporary status down” effect upon recovery of death (Wears off after a set time OR by paying gil to an NPC)
    2. Occurrence of an ”equipment degradation” effect only when using return after death (Recovered by repair)

* Not currently planning on having a loss of SP/XP at this point in time
    * Equipment repair cost relief countermeasures will also be made alongside this.

In regards to the status down effect, we feel that it is necessary to prevent the classic MMO “zombie attack” (Attack > Die > Revive > Attack > Die). There are some players that have touched upon status recovery through NPCs in various threads and comments.

However, we are also planning the below changes to raise at the same time

* Introduction of raise tier system (Raise I/Raise II/Raise III *Temporary names)
    * Raise I (After being raised, status down effect, no equipment damage)
    * Raise II (After being raised, weaker status down effect or a shortened status down time, no equipment damage)
    * Raise III (Perfect raise, no status down effect *Recast time and/or high MP cost)

In other words, even if you die you can get a raise and just take the hit of a temporary status down effect.

However, we determined that it would be necessary to make multiple raise tiers that can be acquired at different ranks since raise is acquired at rank 38 and it is not possible to raise at low-mid ranks.

In addition, in exchange for the death penalty we are looking into making the return cost 0. (This is for regular return, not for when use return when you die.)

Of course we plan to add a 10-20 minute recast timer, but by making the return cost 0:

* It eliminates the need to death warp in order to conserve anima
    * Equipment damage when dying will only be occur in the instance of a full party wipe with no one available to cast raise
    * Will be a fair amount of risk by relieving the labor of equipment repair (revamp of repair recipes)
    * By spreading raises over the low-mid ranks the frequency of revivals will increase (=reduction in party wipes/reduction in death penalty frequency through camaraderie.)

Personally, I would like to see a lot more people tossing out raises as they pass by.

In this regard, I feel that the death penalty is something that creates balance and gives rise to the feeling of nervousness. We have already begun cost evaluation and are planning to implement this in the near future.

In any event, my goal is to create a proper sense of nervousness and not make it so harsh that people log out because they are fed up with the penalties imposed upon death. (Fatigue will be dealt with in another thread)

Please discuss the above points and any comments such as the below would be really helpful:

* This penalty is weak!
    * This is perfect!
    * Do something else!

Thanks!
    There were more comments from few weeks ago regarding PvP, Jumping and areas but I think most people have seen them. I'll keep editing the thread when/if new comments are posted.

-Removed the posts concerning aggro icons (implemented).
    -Removed the post concerning AA (blueprint addresses this in more detail imo).

This topic should be at the bottom of the crap pile they gotta work on...

New Odin
    BG Level

Indeed it should. Seems to be one of the most popular threads on the JP section so not surprising he'd comment on it though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

How about taking durability off of equipments entirely? Can someone explain to me the good things about having durability on equipments?

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Take it off and wouldn't craft jobs lose a lot of their purpose?

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    This topic should be at the bottom of the crap pile they gotta work on...
    This. I can't believe some people were QQing about this on the official forums.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    This. I can't believe some people were QQing about this on the official forums.
    If so wait 'till you hear this: 250 or so replies, 22,000 views on the topic of monster aggro icon (JP's)..

Hiroshi Minagawa (UI) said this:

Players of XIV, nice to meet you. I am Minagawa in charge of the UI.

I'm here to give you a summary of the Active Monster icon adjustments.

Starting from patch 1.16, although monsters have been given an icon next to their name plate to indicate that they are aggressive, we have received a great deal of feedback stating these icons are unnecessary. On the other hand, because we have also received feedback stating players want these icons left as they are, we are currently making adjustments so that players can voluntarily turn off these icons.

Also, because we have received a lot of feed back stating "the red icons stand out too much ruining the atmosphere of the game!", for patch 1.17, we are pending additional review for a design to indicate enemy level, and adjusting to make the icon smaller. Although we planned to release these two features together, regardless of whether or not enemy level indications are ready for the patch release, active icon adjustments will be released first.

As an actual picture will be presented in the Patch 1.17 notes (in a few days), we ask that you be patient a while longer.
    Edited to OP.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I need to agree with that aggro icon thing. Hopefully they adjust it where it only shows mobs that will aggro your or party members instead of having every mob that's aggressive marked with it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Note how that suggestion, which is the most prudent, doesn't seem to be what that guy is saying at all. Making icon smaller or indicating enemy level isn't what people really want. Just don't fucking mark the mob as aggro if it's not gonna fucking aggro me gdit. Why's that so hard lol

Vuitton

Um, he said they're going to make it toggable. As in each player can turn it on or off. I think that addresses player concerns pretty well. Turn it the fuck off if you don't like the new smaller redesigned icon.

All they really have to do though is stick the fucking icon next to the mob con icon, and there wouldn't be a problem. You'd never see either icon unless you targeted a specific mob.

Fuck, go one step further. Outline the mob con icon with a red aura if it is aggressive. No need for two icons. That way you can see that this green con mob is aggressive because the green con is glowing red.

New Odin
    BG Level

Aggro icon: srs bsness

Updated the OP with the official statement regarding ICONS.

Groovebox

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Take it off and wouldn't craft jobs lose a lot of their purpose?
    Just goes to show you how horrible the crafting mechanics are in this game.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Well they were intended to be that way. Apparently if crafting isn't a long, tedious and eye-gouging experience in a MMO, it has no real value. Also, you have to figure that since crafters are as equal as fighters in this game, down to the levels themselves, and the fact that they can engage in the entirety of the CSes, crafting must keep its high value above all else.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    Um, he said they're going to make it toggable. As in each player can turn it on or off. I think that addresses player concerns pretty well. Turn it the fuck off if you don't like the new smaller redesigned icon.
    Just because a change "addresses player concerns" doesn't make it right. I don't really care about the icon personally. It's ugly but it's not exactly fucking up my day like some people are QQing about.

All they really have to do though is stick the fucking icon next to the mob con icon, and there wouldn't be a problem. You'd never see either icon unless you targeted a specific mob.
    Yeah. That's a better solution than the one presented as well...

Fuck, go one step further. Outline the mob con icon with a red aura if it is aggressive. No need for two icons. That way you can see that this green con mob is aggressive because the green con is glowing red.
    Yep. I like that too. Except these aren't any of the things they're doing. Making the icon toggle-able is re-tar-ded. People are gonna have it turned off, then turn it on to explore new areas, then turn it back off. What the fuck is SE's obsession with shit that toggles exactly? We not have toggling targetting systems too. Why can't shit just be client-dynamic? Mob auras, mob name colors, mini-nameplate icons, etc.

They still ain't getting it right.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^^ That's what you get when you try to make knee-jerk fixes after the fact. People didn't like that there were 0 indicators of anything, SE realized that other games have indicators, so they tried to put their own in. It was a rushed job, or just a bad job, and you also have FF purists that don't want to see things from other games in their game, so now SE is still in hot water. They can't win, haha.

Now they even have their own forums so everyone can see, clear as day, that SE never had any kind of "superior" players, merely players with a shit-ton less of options for expressing their opinions.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I agree. And I blame FFXI for producing all these naive players. I ain't saying go play WoW or Rift or any other MMO, but at least know what's out there and what a MMO is capable of bringing to the table. Basic crap like a solid guild system and a shareable bank are so far away from hitting this game it's not even funny anymore. I'll clamor for content all day because shit is getting boring, but improvements to the game that don't involve petty crap like a toggling aggro icon would be a godsend at this point. Do it like other games do SE, it ain't gonna hurt your pride to fit the mold every once in awhile.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Think I will go ahead and uninstall this shitty game that I can play for free but refuse to touch.

New Odin
    BG Level

Would that mean that you stop trolling these forums? I could get down with that.

Official translation regarding DP added.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Nothing piss me off more than dying in this game. Adding anything harsher would probably just make me logout and go play something else.

I don't like at all the way this is going.
    Developers work on their game, it shouldnt be an open forum. Right or wrong, it's important to have an author standpoint and be truthfull to that.
    Small changes are welcome but this going back and firth on features it's just... silly.

"Here's your aggro icon" "Oh ok you dont like it, here take this one instead" "Is this one ok?"

It seems there're giving players too much weight into the development/suggestion department, so either this is all a fake and they wont ever really include any suggested mechanics, or they're turning a high profile game into an open mod that people discuss on forums. Ok this example may be too extreme but i hope it still shows my point.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 1006 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast