+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The source material for this might be just a tiny bit better than the source material for True Blood. Also, after reading interviews with the show's creators, I would be shocked if they even considered changing a plot point like that.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketrockets View Post
    The source material for this might be just a tiny bit better than the source material for True Blood. Also, after reading interviews with the show's creators, I would be shocked if they even considered changing a plot point like that.
    That's true. The 'True Blood' novels were pretty awful. No idea why they thought it would be a good series. Much better TV writers for the series than the author of the book.

Of course, if they want to keep Sean Bean on as a name brand actor, they might change it.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Given the degree of closeness to the source thus far and the fact that GRRM was on set/working with them it would be very surprising. I mean that's like the big OH SHIT THIS IS SERIOUS moment.
    I agree. I had to re-read that part a few times because I didnt believe it at first. Any bets they end season 1 with the sword falling?

The calibre of writing in The Song of Ice and Fire is so far beyond, say, True Bloods' books That I really cant imagine them changing/reverseing a major event like that. It would change so much in an already extremely complicated plot, plus it also sets up heavy suspense for the rest of the series whenever a character you really like is in danger, as you now know anyone can die. Besides theres plenty of characters coming down the road that they can add name brand to as desired.

For all the talk of side character POVs, I really enjoyed Davos perspective. I dont recall what happened, so someone fill me in where things left off once

Spoiler: show
    Stanis went to the wall?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I'm a bit late to the read this party, but I have to throw out a series by David Farland. It's called the Runelords and it has a great premise. I enjoy a lot of Fantasy and would have mentioned just about everything in here so far. I love all things Weiss, Fanboy I guess.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    For all the talk of side character POVs, I really enjoyed Davos perspective. I dont recall what happened, so someone fill me in where things left off once

Stanis went to the wall?
    from what I can remember Stanis
    went to the wall, pwned the wildlings with jonny bones snow and then asked for the nights watch to help him win the throne. I believe Jon said no but i am really foggy here.
    Also regarding Davos (only a spoiler if you haven't read feast for crows)

He was killed off screen (off page) in book 4 and his head was mounted at one of the major cities, idr which city

book spoiling (Feast for Crows)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    He was killed off screen (off page) in book 4 and his head was mounted at one of the major cities, idr which city
    Oh for some reason I thought that to be the case, but GRRM left it vague, at least I thought so in my mind. Could just be denial, guess I'll need to reread Feast. Currently struggling through Storm of Swords.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

about Dance w/ Dragons
    wiki says he has chapters in it

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Dance is same time as Feast, and some characters have chapters in both.

Yeah regarding Davos

We don't actually know if he's been killed, the leader of White Harbor (Manderly I think?) told someone to tell the Lannisters that he had been captured and killed but considering they are Stark men it's thought that they were lying and that Davos is actually fine. Either way we are going to find out in Dance as he's a PoV character for much of it. I really lean towards him being alive still though as it would be really weird to reveal his death and then have him as a PoV character in Dance without some surprise in store.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    Dance is same time as Feast, and some characters have chapters in both.
    yeah i know, i meant that there would be clarification presumably

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    Yeah regarding Davos

We don't actually know if he's been killed, the leader of White Harbor (Manderly I think?) told someone to tell the Lannisters that he had been captured and killed but considering they are Stark men it's thought that they were lying and that Davos is actually fine. Either way we are going to find out in Dance as he's a PoV character for much of it. I really lean towards him being alive still though as it would be really weird to reveal his death and then have him as a PoV character in Dance without some surprise in store.
    In what way do does them being Stark men have anything to do with him being spared? Keep in mind, Rob and Cat are dead, the North is done as far as the rebellion goes, and it's not like Rob and Stannis were forging some alliance. That all said I hope he's not dead

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

In what way do does them being Stark men have anything to do with him being spared? Keep in mind, Rob and Cat are dead, the North is done as far as the rebellion goes, and it's not like Rob and Stannis were forging some alliance. That all said I hope he's not dead
    only technically.

Well considering how the Rob and Cat were killed along with a lot of the Northmen, they would have a ton of reason's to lie to the lannisters and bolton's.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I would assume Davos is still alive since he is mr awesome cool guy smuggler. but it wouldnt surprise me if he actually was killed off like that

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It would suck if they killed him off page like that. He was a pretty awesome character. But maybe that's Martins plan. To show what actually happened in the other book. What was it, book 2 where they supposedly killed 2 other big characters like that, and then we find out they didn't. Hopefully it's something like that. Most times Martin likes to show all the details in the death.

Concerning book 4 which I just finished, I wasn't too impressed at all. I know he split it up into 2 books, but he couldn't have picked more boring characters to follow. The good characters that are in it only get a few chapters.

Arya gets like 3 chapters, then they leave it with a huge cliffhanger that she wakes up blind. Brienne's story was pretty damn boring. Up until the end where she meets what's left of Cat. I was and wasn't so surprised with how she treated her. Who knows what her fate is, with the one word she muttered. All of Jaime and Cersei's stuff was pretty good. I love how he is trying to be a "proper" knight and wants to redeem himself. I wonder what he'll do with Cersei. Speaking of her, I find it amazing they actually threw her in the septa dungeons. It's about time someone taught her a lesson. Sansa's goings ons were pretty good. She's growing as a character, and Littlefinger's plans are pretty epic, if that's what he truly means to do. As far as the Greyjoys, I don't give a fuck about any of them. I skimmed a lot of those chapters, much as it pains me. First time I did that in any of those books. The stuff going on in Dorne with Myrcella/the other princesses was pretty dull as well. From what I've been reading, A Dance of Dragons will be fantastic.

Edit; While I like Asha Greyjoy, I don't give a fuck about any of the other ones.

aduidarnenye

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    It would suck if they killed him off page like that. He was a pretty awesome character. But maybe that's Martins plan. To show what actually happened in the other book. What was it, book 2 where they supposedly killed 2 other big characters like that, and then we find out they didn't. Hopefully it's something like that. Most times Martin likes to show all the details in the death.

Concerning book 4 which I just finished, I wasn't too impressed at all. I know he split it up into 2 books, but he couldn't have picked more boring characters to follow. The good characters that are in it only get a few chapters.

Arya gets like 3 chapters, then they leave it with a huge cliffhanger that she wakes up blind. Brienne's story was pretty damn boring. Up until the end where she meets what's left of Cat. I was and wasn't so surprised with how she treated her. Who knows what her fate is, with the one word she muttered. All of Jaime and Cersei's stuff was pretty good. I love how he is trying to be a "proper" knight and wants to redeem himself. I wonder what he'll do with Cersei. Speaking of her, I find it amazing they actually threw her in the septa dungeons. It's about time someone taught her a lesson. Sansa's goings ons were pretty good. She's growing as a character, and Littlefinger's plans are pretty epic, if that's what he truly means to do. As far as the Greyjoys, I don't give a fuck about any of them. I skimmed a lot of those chapters, much as it pains me. First time I did that in any of those books. The stuff going on in Dorne with Myrcella/the other princesses was pretty dull as well. From what I've been reading, A Dance of Dragons will be fantastic.

Edit; While I like Asha Greyjoy, I don't give a fuck about any of the other ones.

He killed Ned pretty much off stage so it wouldn't be anything new.

I found Brienne to be incredibly dull too, which is why I mentioned that Martin has killed off all his interesting characters and is left with poor, boring characters.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post

I found Brienne to be incredibly dull too, which is why I mentioned that Martin has killed off all his interesting characters and is left with poor, boring characters.
    Ned wasn't killed off-stage... he was killed during an Arya chapter, and she was there in the crowd. She didn't actually SEE it happen, but only because that Night's Watchmen guy who's name eludes me grabbed her and turned her away. If you consider that "off-stage", then you have some pretty fucking strict standards for the term. The only one's who were ACTUALLY killed off-stage were Robb and Cat. GRRM feinted to kill Rickon and Bran off-stage, but as anyone reading this thread should know, that wasn't the case.

Now that I think about it... I believe Ned, Robb, and Cat are the only main POV characters that he's killed. The list on the Ice and Fire wiki lists 20 "main" characters, though I'd say 5-6 of them don't really have the presence to make my own personal "Main" list. Even so, of 14 central characters, Martin kills 3 of them (and brings 1 back), and suddenly there aren't any interesting characters left? WTF?

You're entitled to your opinion and all that jazz, but you might wanna get your info straight before you make them.

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post

How was Ned killed off stage? We had a POV of the execution and then had several chapters afterward dealing with his death. The two situations are not at all similar.

EDIT: to the guy above, Rob and Cat weren't killed off stage either we get a POV chapter with Cat that she dies in, and watches Rob get killed. As far as I know there haven't been any significant off stage deaths in ASOIAF. In fact that only so called off stage kills weren't actually true. Also to answer one of your questions I think she said she's not a fan of Jon who seems to be a favorite among most people so that might explain why she doesn't think there's many interesting characters left. I've seen a few other people say that as well around the net and they are usually fans of Cat, and don't really like Jon.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    How was Ned killed off stage? We had a POV of the execution and then had several chapters afterward dealing with his death. The two situations are not at all similar.

EDIT: to the guy above, Rob and Cat weren't killed off stage either we get a POV chapter with Cat that she dies in, and watches Rob get killed. As far as I know there haven't been any significant off stage deaths in ASOIAF. In fact that only so called off stage kills weren't actually true. Also to answer one of your questions I think she said she's not a fan of Jon who seems to be a favorite among most people so that might explain why she doesn't think there's many interesting characters left. I've seen a few other people say that as well around the net and they are usually fans of Cat, and don't really like Jon.
    Ah right, I stand corrected (though it only helps my point). Been too long since I read them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast