+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 117 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

A Song of Ice and Fire (Book discussion)

If anything I feel the fantasy elements of the books have been increasing as I've read them.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Palin View Post
    If anything I feel the fantasy elements of the books have been increasing as I've read them.
    ya I was going to say, not much "fantasy" stuff happens on the wall for a pretty long time, just "threatening" and suspense on what's out there. And outside that, there's only minor stuff that goes on.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

yea like dragons

or birthing shadow babies.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    yea like dragons

ya but doesn't that not happen until like book 2? Or am I forgetting.

Book 1, after the wedding right?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    ya but doesn't that not happen until like book 2? Or am I forgetting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    Book 1, after the wedding right?
    its at the very end of book 1

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

bleh my bad, could have sworn it was book 2, but it's been awhile since I've read them. XD

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/...-dragons-date/
    Are you ready for the biggest fantasy news since HBO decided to make a TV show called Game of Thrones?
    The next book in George R.R. Martin’s bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series has a publication date.
    Yes, we swear, after waiting six long years since the release of the last novel in the saga, the fabled Book 5 A Dance With Dragons is close enough to being finished* for Martin’s publisher to set a release date. We have that date, exclusively, along a first look at the book’s cover art and an interview with the man himself.
    A Dance With Dragons will be published on July 12. The manuscript is huge — the publisher estimates the hardcover edition will run more than 900 pages, putting it about the same length as the longest book in the series, A Storm of Swords. Schedule your summer vacation accordingly.
    ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What took so long?
    GEORGE R. R. MARTIN: I’m not sure I have a good answer. If I did, I would have taken less time. It’s enormous. It’s as long as A Storm of Swords. It’s very complicated. I have a lot of characters and points of view. And I’ve been doing a ton of rewriting, trying to get it where I wanted it to be. Some of these chapters I’ve rewritten more times than I can count before I’m satisfied with them.
    Can you tease something from the book?
    I don’t want to spoil any surprises. I can say all the characters people have been waiting for are there: Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion. There’s also new characters, and viewpoints from characters who did not have viewpoints before.
    For more of Martin’s interview — where he compares Dragons to the previous four books, and weighs in on the HBO adaptation — pick up this week’s print edition of Entertainment Weekly.
    *That the author is still writing might worry some longtime fans (giving Martin a deadline is a bit like making a photo request of J.D. Salinger) but his publisher assures us the date is firm. Winter, and A Dance With Dragons, is coming.
    GOD MY OH!
    credit to tyven for linking me

Fucking Finally. God damn that took a long time for a book was that half finished to start with.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

FUCK. YES.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

fucking finally

this is good 'cause I've been plowing through the wheel of time books out of lack of things to read (I've read them before). This should give me plenty of time to finish those and reread the previous Martin books so I can refresh my memory.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

FUCK YES. finally

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I had the book on preorder in June '08. Amazon kept sending me emails every few months with reminders that they no longer have a due date.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So the series looks great. I've never read any of the books. These trailers make me want to read the books. Am I a terrible person for not reading them?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

You should be reading them. Why aren't you reading them already? Why are you reading this? Get to reading!

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You know, I've been meaning to read some fantasy books. I really never knew where to start. I've heard the Drizzt series is pretty good, but I think I'll start with the Ice & Fire books instead.

If anyone can recommend any other great fantasy books/series please feel free to suggest. I've got a lot of free time on my hands for the moment.

No offense to Mr. Salvatore, but the Drizzt/Forgotten Realms series is just not in the same league as these books. That said, I read the Icewind Dale Trilogy and loved it. That was a 10 or so years before Game of Thrones came off the press though, I didn't know what good Fantasy was =P I also haven't read ALL of Salvatore's Dark Elf books, as I feel they kinda ran away with themselves after a while, and he was just churning out cash more than story as they dragged on.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    You know, I've been meaning to read some fantasy books. I really never knew where to start. I've heard the Drizzt series is pretty good, but I think I'll start with the Ice & Fire books instead.

If anyone can recommend any other great fantasy books/series please feel free to suggest. I've got a lot of free time on my hands for the moment.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen
    That and Wheel of Time are two of my favorite series. Both series are nearly complete if I remember right so its a great time to start.

Some people enjoy the Terry Goodkind series, starts with Wizards First Rule