1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 16 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Odin
    BG Level

Letter from the Producer, VIII (04/14/2011)

Well, I don’t take ill very often, but last week I was sidelined with a pretty nasty fever. Maybe the breakneck speed and hectic schedule we’ve been keeping since the end of last year finally caught up with me.
    But I’m all good now, and back in action with the dev and ops teams.

In my last letter, I touched on the upcoming holiday event, but it looks like there have been some misunderstandings popping up, so today I’d like to talk a bit about the development team and its workflow.

The dev team is actually split up into a bunch of smaller teams, each dedicated to a certain facet of the game. Off the top of my head, there’s the scenario team, the world settings team (including seasonal events), the item team, the crafting and gathering team, the battle team, the level design team, the art team, the character team, the BG team, the UI team, and so on and so forth. Each team focuses on certain game content or a particular system, and all teams’ tasks are ongoing simultaneously. There are VFX, animation, and cutscenes as well, so quite a few teams. Within each, there are staff members whose job it is to carry out the tasks of each patch, and others who focus on the large-scale elements and core of the game.

When deciding what goes in a patch, we meld together my raw ideas with the team leaders’ proposals and move forward from there, checking up on the status on a daily basis.

So in my last letter when I announced we’d be prioritizing the upcoming seasonal event in 1.17, it didn’t clandestinely imply we’d be halting other tasks in other areas. No need for worry there. Some players are also voicing concern over the difference between patch content and the more fundamental changes planned. The latter, such as overhauling the battle system, are planned for the long-term and don’t coincide with the pace of our regular patches. They are designed in parallel with other large-scale changes, such as new events or UI revamps, and we only begin testing their implementation after careful consideration of both specs and cost. This is why the whole process takes time. Of course, that isn’t to say we don’t want you to see any visible changes during this period. We are implementing the things that can be implemented, and can be done so quickly. I hope I can squash these and any further misconceptions in future letters and forum posts.

To sum up, we’re updating those aspects of the game whose priority is high, and which can be updated relatively easily, while more radical and profound changes, such as those revolving around latency, auto-attack, battle, the Armoury system, the job system, dungeons, movement, modes of transport—these are currently under development on their own, completely independent schedules.

That’s the first time I dropped word of the new job system, isn’t it? Just sayin’. (Eaaasy, I’ll be posting about it on the forums soon enough.)

Well, there are still a lot of problems that need solving, but for now I hope you can all just look forward to the forthcoming egg hu— Errr, egg-themed festivities.

Last up for today, the release of the Lodestone page detailing the Grand Companies of Eorzea was delayed a bit due to the earthquake, but will be up tomorrow. Under the direction of Akihiko Yoshida (no relation), the art team has done an amazing job, as always. The Grand Companies will do the nations of Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, and Ul’dah justice as their stalwart representatives, and related content such as quests will begin to go live in patch 1.17. We’ll also be seeing the rulers of each of the companies come forth. A historic set of events is primed to take place in Eorzea, so be sure to keep a sharp eye out!

The Grand Companies of Eorzea page on the Lodestone will be updated and expanded regularly as game content is developed, so be sure to check it out from time to time!

That’s all for this letter. See you next time and/or on the forums, k? Laters.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

well, looks like a job system is incoming!

New Odin
    BG Level

Seems to be separate from the armoury system too.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Ho ho ho jobs system being teased. I'm excited now.

Time to bump the thread so that hopefully when they talk about it they post in that one.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I don't feel like it's going to be based on talents or customizing the existing classes after hearing that, but you never know. Not looking forward to hearing the Eorzeapedia guy going "I TOLD YOU SO" at everyone if that's the case.

Hopefully we'll get more information this week.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

"Job system" could be FF's way of saying "Specializations" or it could not. A name is just that, a name. But I do agree that I don't want him running around saying "AMG I WIN". Dude's been so annoying these past few weeks.

New Odin
    BG Level

Sounds like "jobs on top of classes"...or idk.

Ya, can't really make any good guesses based on that lolz.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I don't think it sounds like anything, like Kuro said, it's just a name.

It's just the feeling I get from reading it like that, like it's indeed a separate thing, but there isn't really any information to make a real guess.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Man, I love these damn letters from Yoshi. Job system incoming sounds quite interesting. I'm very curious as to how it will be implemented. Also, I like hearing how things work on the inside from a development standpoint as I've always wanted to work in game dev.

Ok so finally some straight answers, maybe this update will be worth logging in =)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

the transparency on how they proceed with development is wonderful and really encourages me about the game.

it is sooooo important to know that time isn't necessarily being "wasted" when things are all working independently in the first place.

Justin Bieber
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justin Bieber
    FFXIV Server
    Masamune

pretty pretty excited.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

God hes so annoying.. lol

But they're a mod for a fansite! Everything they say must be true!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

He's right with his whole "classes are not jobs" thing, he could just be less annoying when telling everyone.

I'd say it's understandable that he's stressed out because nobody "gets it", but going from what's in the game, not even Square-Enix themselves seemed to understand the idea behind their own system, or half-gave up on it at some point between the old interviews and the alpha. So again, he could be less annoying about it or accept that not many people care.

It really depends on how much they're willing to bend the current system to introduce the classes. If they simply wanted to build off the current one, yes, his idea falls down beautifully. If they're willing to bend more rules, such as remodelling what our current classes "are", then Kuro's system adds a layer of complexity (the good one) and freedom that would probably benefit the game more.

Most people just want jobs, so in the end most people should be happy.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Exactly how I feel Sol. lol

If he could just get it through his head that a name is a name is a name. Then he wouldn't be as annoying. It's like trying to explain tax cuts/spending to Swampy (ok slight exaggeration there).

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I usually hate speculation but thank god for it this time around.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

lmfao Solracht nice troll.

By your logic, everyone that leveled a ninja sub in FFXI is a tank.
    Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Yea that was fun, I'm honestly surprised about how long that guy went on. The part where he said "I didn't do that utsusemi exploit thing because I was good enough" was the highlight of it I think.

At least he partially got it a few posts after that, or at least indirectly acknowledged that the problem existed in XI.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

he's piqued my interest a bit.