Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Heh, same as me, except with WAR. Didn't know the game gave you an onion sword, so when I finally found the way outside(took me an hour or two) I was beating the hell out of bees with my bare hands. Got to Lv3 before I found out I had a sword on me.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Chasing after a DRG spaming in say "STOP! I'LL HELP YOU"
    Take a guess what i was trying to help him with.
    Thinking about it now. I realized how awed i was whenever i saw someone with a job that isn't one of the standard jobs you start with. Not to mention people with full AF.
    My first raise ever was from a JP PLD with full AF in Valk dunes. That was when no English speaking person have reached lvl 30 yet.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza View Post
    Thinking about it now. I realized how awed i was whenever i saw someone with a job that isn't one of the standard jobs you start with. Not to mention people with full AF.
    My first raise ever was from a JP PLD with full AF in Valk dunes. That was when no English speaking person have reached lvl 30 yet.
    I remember how much I looked forward to getting raise on my paladin, back when it was 75 so no one really had it.
    Personally I loved the old train system where high level players would come to Dunes/Jungles or even Crawlers Nest if they where really high and protect everyone from the massive goblin trains. It also gave low level players a chance to meet high level players and be in awe of their AF and NQ gear that looked so cool back then.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

This one always brings old players back:

This one is slightly nostalgic because BLU was my first job to 75:
    http://video.mmosite.com/default.php...n=play&id=6724

These 2 are just awesome:

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

i have something to add,

watch until the elvaan, i never fail to laugh

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza View Post
    The very first day I ever played I remember running through ranfaure and someone casting protect on me excited me so much I actually rang up a friend and told him because he was going to begin playing that day too. We both still play today haha.

I play with 2 other real life friends aswell all 4 of us where in a xbox party this was literally the moment the xbox ffxi went live and xbox players merged with the rest, someone in full ranger AF walked past us and we where all like "WOW!!!" in the xbox party haha because Hydra server the xbox beta server had no one higher than level 50 lol

Also, me and the friend I rang about someone casting protect on me used to watch that vanacam for hours prior to the release cause we where both avid FF fans anyway so the 11th was really exciting when we heard it was coming to xbox. Sometimes the cam would go to Zi'Tah and you would see a stone golem, we was convinced it was shadow lord haha. Also we used to see random avatars in elwynn forest and say "wow, that looks like a hard boss"

We all began playing at 16, was such a fucking blast. 6 Years later and all still play, god those days where a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nattack View Post
    i have something to add,

watch until the elvaan, i never fail to laugh

Oh wow, it's been such a long time since I last saw that. Great stuff. Also the video posted earlier, with the environment, that's part of the reason FFXI kept us all hooked for so long, nothing looked alike. Both Sarutabarutas, I could know where I was after logging in, just from looking around. Both jungles look the same, yet different. It's like a previous poster said, FFXIV is just quick copypaste, and FFXI truly had programmers/artists create such fine details that most of us never even noticed.

SE really made a fine game. Shame FFXIV is so FFXI -1, it's like we need an Abjuration to make it worthwhile.

Ollieyk

Back when that video first came out I would loop for hours.

I would also go to Lufaise Meadows just for the music, made camping Padfoot almost bearable!

Old Merits
    BG Level

The music was always the biggest hit to me in FFXI. I will always remember when I'd be running to Sky in the olden days I'd look forward to running through Zi'Tah for those few minutes to hear the music.

<3

Another of my fav renditions

The Garden of Ru'Hmet and Gustaberg are big nostalgia hits too, I spent dozens and dozens of hours in sea even just solo a lot and really adored the zones (linkshells I were in hated sea for the most part so me and close-knit friends kept pop sets up lol). CoP Missions were probably the funnest thing I've done in FFXI, especially having the satisfaction of knowing you beat it before they made the shit easymode lol.

Remembering the trials and tribulations I went through for my first few sets of AF armor and feeling SO proud, when you actually had to have a full group of friends for the AF3 fights (I remember when I finished my BLM AF set I was brimming with glee)... only to absolutely despise having to do the quests for the newest jobs I lvled, in fact even skipping 50% of the armor loool.

Ahh, memories.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Ollieyk View Post

Back when that video first came out I would loop for hours.

I would also go to Lufaise Meadows just for the music, made camping Padfoot almost bearable!
    Oh man all those BG movies take me back, they made sky and endgame look so epic. Crazy to look back through here and realize how long I've been playing this game

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I won't lie, that piano Zitah really gets to me sometimes.

I also can't lie, I've come back to the game just from having the music come back into my head. Love me some DJplaeskool.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Billy Bobe
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I am looking through this thread and it is getting hard not to reinstall this game and start playing again...

After playing WoW for a few years and Rift for these past few months...I still think FFXI is the best MMO I have played.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Finished the Windurst WOTG questline last night at 3.30am or so. The closing CS made me sad, remembering how epic the storyline is

Spoiler: show
    and also angry at how much of a jerkface Lekho is to Romaa

This game has stories and scenes which can be as moving and inspiring as any movie or film. There is a damn good story at the heart of XI, and some very good characters.

I started playing about 6 years ago now... I remember my opening CS... where Ajido-Marujido is all like "What's the matter?" and I typed "Oh hi! I just started.. not sure how to move/do anything yet!"

Was so embarrassing when someone said "dude.. you're in a CS...."

The only thing that really gets to me is seeing old SSes of my chara... I was organizing some stuff on my laptop a few weeks ago and came across my old windower folder and all of my SSes :/

Old Merits
    BG Level

Started in Windurst. Heaven's Tower was my favorite little area in the game for a long time. I would go there when I wanted to be alone. Good times.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

A small emotional reaction for me is the POL Chat. I look foreward to maint because it's the only time anyone is on it anymore. xD Back in 03 right after I started playing in the NA PC release my graphics card went poot, and I couldn't get another one til around the PS2 release date so I just got that version. Anyways...I would always make a chat room "Midnight Party" almost every night after I logged off or just in the evenings waiting for a new graphics card. It would almost always be full, and there would always be other rooms, as well. I really miss the days when the chat rooms were actually used, and they bring a nice big pang of nostalgia and memories every time I think about it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

This one always gets me too.

HERP DERP.

Class A troll. And he's still classy, unlike the rest of you.

Can't dazzle with brilliance, Baffling with bullshit.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taube Teirn
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Palides View Post
    This one always gets me too.

HERP DERP.

Class A troll. And he's still classy, unlike the rest of you.
    Still not seeing the troll (Not as easy signature as MysteryGuitarMans but... Ya have to be original, ya know?)
    Also like his version.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Beat WoTG last night and well...shit. So much has changed during the 3+ years since it came out, not only in game but for myself. Reflecting on all of it, got to me a bit.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This thread made me realize that XIV will never be as good as XI was.