Thread: Emotional reaction     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Emotional reaction

Fellow BG members

Wondering if anyone else has had severe emotions during/after FFXI while
    - looking back at something great/amazing in/about the game
    - doing/seeing something great/amazing in/about the game
    - knowing that you're part of something great in the game, for the future
    - etc

In gerenal, showing your passion. Since this is the Media forum, we'll have to communicate by using media, such as audio, video, picture or the like. Include a reason for picking that piece of art/situation so we can all relate to that emotion.

~

This video is the intro to FFXI, and I couldn't remember a thing of it. I listened to the music, and to the people, and saw the game in real life.

I had never seen this like I see it now, after years of battles, linkshells, drama, excitement and friendship, and I must say, I have cried.

I can not believe that I have never watched this video so closely. There is so much pain, hurt, emotions and loss in there. It starts with WoTG, people losing their friends, their family, and we, in campaign and the likes, fighting back. Campaign Ops to gather information, etc.

It's saddening (from my POV, had good times, quit, no more FFXI), but the sadness has to come out. All those memories, but of joy as well! The good, the bad and the ugly, I guess.

~

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Thought everyone saw that video.. it plays everytime you log in unless you check a box in config.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm pretty sure most of us checked that box years ago.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

So it was originally pronounced Bast-ook Bas-tok is better.

I can definitely relate to that video more now prior to the first time I ever watched it. "The orcs are fucking scary.." was the only thing that came to mind the first time. At the age of 15 when I first began playing, the story was the last thing on my mind.

The music is more of a nostalgia trip more than anything in that video though, shit is amazing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I still get a really big nostalgia feeling whenever I hear the Gustaberg theme...
    I just remember the first day ever playing this, spent all week in Gustaberg, lost as all hell lol. Spent a lot of time there.
    Bastok's theme kind of does the same, but to a lesser extent. Just reminds me of the fact that I didn't know wtf to think of the game, really didn't do any research and just picked it up, thinking it was a single player + online thing, boy was I wrong. lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Elwynn Forest, SanD'oria, Kazham, Both jungles, And most of the COP tracks is what puts me in a nostalgia mood.

Although pretty much most music in the game makes me reflect back on those days but the above I have very fond memories attached.

I'll be honest, the intro video did a lot to get me hooked back when I first started. Made everything feel much larger and grander than it was while I was out in Gustaberg swatting bees.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Sarutabaruta theme always gets me. The world seemed so much bigger back then.

Occasionally I also go to town bards or Goblin Footprints to view cutscenes and start reminiscing about old mission statics and other associated antics.

Can't dazzle with brilliance, Baffling with bullshit.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taube Teirn
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I rarely venture back to Bastok regions anymore, don't wanna part from all my OPs in Sandy, But I still get a pang of nostalgia whenever I somehow happen to be in South Gustaberg... Holy Flying Spaghetti Monster the world was so big back then, first trip to San d'Oria was like travelling to the other side of the world....

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

The gustaberg music is my favourite. I spent about a week or so soon after i started camping leaping lizzy and the music really sunk in. Everytime i mention it in-game people aren't sure, but the gustaberg music is the same music played in that town linked to the golden saucer in ff7 isn't it? Or is it just incredibly similar?

Can't dazzle with brilliance, Baffling with bullshit.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taube Teirn
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by In Flames View Post
    The gustaberg music is my favourite. I spent about a week or so soon after i started camping leaping lizzy and the music really sunk in. Everytime i mention it in-game people aren't sure, but the gustaberg music is the same music played in that town linked to the golden saucer in ff7 isn't it? Or is it just incredibly similar?
    They don't sound that similar to me, Gustaberg music is nowhere near as melancholic as Corel BGM. Think it's the xylophone being so evident in both that does it. (Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be talking out of my ass here as I only remember the mood of Corel music, not what instruments were in it.)

...Unless you're talking about background music in the Desert prison, which is even farther away from Gustaberg sound in my opinion.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by LidenbokValour View Post
    Elwynn Forest
    Lol'd

Bastok and Gustaberg does it for me personally.

Tagus

damn... haven't watched that video in years. I always liked the spot at the very end of the Ordelle Caves where it opens up to La Theine for that stone tablet thingy that gave the crawler's nest map... it seemed that it took forever to get there leveling up the first time through the cave, and it always seemed like one of the coolest little spots in the game.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

north/south gustaberg always gets me, followed by the zi'tah. so many long nights grinding xp, or missions. i would recommend that everyone check the iTunes store to sample some of the tracks for the game. definitely stir up emotions

i always want to see a JA that allowed a full BLM pt simulcast the same spell to cause a single, massive casting, like in the intro video

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This has been posted before, but it gets me everytime.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

So much effort they put into detail that I haven't even noticed until watching that video, I wish I had the time to go and enjoy it as much as that, fuck I didn't even know Ifrits Cauldron erupted until just now.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

wow that guy is a true environment enthusiast. half the things he showed in the video i didn't know existed. never knew it was this rich and detailed.

I still play FFXI but there are times when emotionally powerful cutscenes get to me. I think its just that I'm sentimental. who knows.

The most emotional ones for me are the mission endings i think...

CoP Ending made me cry.. mostly for all the hard work put in (completed when it was first released).. and the melody of distant worlds

and the ACP add-ons ending was kinda nice, even if the story was meh.

also concludes the Aldo/Emeline story arc. spoilerific, i recommend only watching from 4:50, or 9:30 for relatively spoiler free

Relic Horn
    BG Level

This thread only proves how fucking ridiculous this game is.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

your game is about 3 rival nations which come together to stop the advance of a bigbad, which then shifts to defeating a crystalline form of yourself because i spose they hate you up in heaven, even if its just the sky, then to save a marooned land and then the world again from a lucifer type figure who created all the bads in the world, which are capable of good, just usually dont feel like it, which then brings you to the near east to save them from an anarchist plot, which then shifts to going back in time to save the world from the big bad again, except its not really amd you gotta kill a meddler in time, which then shifts to a bunch of bullshit, and then comes an alternate dimension where you lost and the world is completely ruined, but you save their world anyway.

makes perfect sense.
    also every time you save the world theyll be like "its dangerous to go alone"

none of this gives you a proportionate reward, maybe some money and a rock or two.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I found my old ipod the other day, took it to the gym to hear some 3 year old + lyrics and jams. Was doing the bench and FFXI Sanctuary of Zi'Tai came on........ talk a "Give me a pillow" song, Then Ronfaure came on and battle themes....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast