+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Terraria (2d Minecraft)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

how is everyone getting all this awesome armor/gear? I have been exploring caves and collecting metals to make copper/iron armor and gold tools, and I've gone up to 2 floating islands to get that balloon accessory, but is there something I'm missing?

How hard is the dungeon guardian dude? Can I beat it with a gold sword/enchanted boommerang and crappy copper armor?

I guess my goal should be to find lava so I can get obsidian, then make that skull that prevents fire damage, then go from there...

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God damn it, now I'm going to have to stage an intervention for this game too for Atre.

tol

Is there any good Wiki for Terraria?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I wouldnt say its a good wiki. But one exists. Just google it. It can be helpful sometimes but its not laid out very well.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

so basic question, if i wanted to play this, is there a collective world to join or do i just make my own?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm currently playing my own small world in single-player. I'd love to set it up as a server so I can get to it from both work and home (downtime at work means play terraria in the background!). Any ideas if this is possible?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Bahh, how deep do you have to go to find some sort of amazingly useful weapon/tool/item?

Out of like 5 chests I have only found 2 Magic Mirrors (sold 1) and a pair of Hermes Boots (lame, sold).

tol

it's fairly random as well. Some good stuff comes out of floating island chests rarely, along with jungle and dungeon chests. Just keep at it!

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Why did you sell the hermes boots? If you don't have any other accessories, they can't hurt. You can equip up to 5 accessories in the different slots.

Also, I just started a new world since the other's resources were getting used up. Anyone can join, the IP is 98.183.226.122

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have been having the hardest time finding iron. (Obviously still early in) Find 5-10 in random spots, but no clue how to dig for more without random luck. Only been on the surface and random tunnels, so not too deep. Somewhat tedious just digging and making sure when you dig down you leave a stairway or someway out, but liking it overall.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

your best bet is to just dig straight down till you find a nice big cavern you can explore and keep your eyes peeled, unfortunately it's more about luck than anything.
    The upside to doing that though is you come across other valuable ores and you have just the same chance to find a nice silver or gold vein and come out better than expected.

You did the right thing to start off with though, combing the surface and random tunnels that start at the surface is your first best bet.

god i wish i could play this... i felt like a twat playing the "other" version so i got rid of it.

LazyShell
    BG Level

I was progressing kinda slowly, only gold was like feet and pickaxe. After I raided floating islands I got the lucky horseshoe so I didn't take damage from falls. Once I had that and found a place with a lot of water+lava for obsidian (which I had already found from random mining), it was pretty easy to jump past all the tiers of equipment to end-tier though.

Just made the obsidian skull and equipped that plus the horseshoe, left all my money in a chest, and dug straight down ALL the way to the bottom, using a stack of dirts to make walls and floors on the way down when I was in open space. Down there is a TON of hellstone which is relatively easy to mine. There are some annoying guys that throw fireballs through walls and really strong worms, but if they start bugging you you can just grapple upwards until you are away, wait a little bit and go back down. Or alternatively, just die and drop back down and they will be gone.

When you get enough hellstone + obsidian, you need to find a hellforge down there (was pretty easy for me, in a structure near where my hole came out), and make bars. Item priority for me was flamarang (hellbars + enchanted boomerang = OP) -> Molten pickaxe -> armors/hamaxe/bow/sword if you want. The whole endeavor (including digging down) took me like 2-3 hours and now I'm like fully geared outside of a good rare sword/gun. Skipped like 3-4 tiers instantly lol.

edit: It occurs to me that even without a horseshoe, you can still do this strategy with just a grapple at the bottom. So then only real requirements to start would be a gold pickaxe, a grapple and/or horseshoe, and meaningful source of obsidian (water+lava) to make your skull and everything else. Enchanted boomerang is a plus as flamarang is op, but not necessary.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Chaossamurai View Post
    Why did you sell the hermes boots? If you don't have any other accessories, they can't hurt. You can equip up to 5 accessories in the different slots.
    Eh, because they were worth 1 gold and I was trying to get up to 8 to buy the mining helmet. They honestly don't do shit unless you're on the surface on a long, flat surface.

Is there a recommended method for finding floating islands besides cheating (looking at a map gen).

so what's the "recommended" progress for the game?

Floating Islands -> dynamine a shadow orb -> find obsidian -> make obsidian skull -> mine meteorite -> underground jungle -> down to hell? Anyone know how hard the dungeon guardian is by yourself?

tol

cloud in a bottle <3

I pretty much did something very similar to Geno on a world with 5 close friends. Went straight down for some hellstone and obs and got geared out.

LazyShell
    BG Level

it's actually pretty silly. Shoulda only made it so you could mine obs/hellstone with nightmare pickaxe, too easy to jump far ahead.

Also, forgot to mention but if you are going through water/lava on the way down, you can just fill it in with dirt (2 spaces beneath you and the spaces on either side) and then re-mine the middle out to make it disappear. Just to make sure you have perfectly vertical tunnel so you can keep going back down if you die instantly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm rocking cloud in a bottle, red balloon, Cobalt Shield and Band of regen at the moment. Its working pretty well sofar.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, I finally started finding sweet shit.

Band of Regeneration, Cloud in a Bottle, and 3 shackles (bleh). Full silver armor, all gold tools, Enchanted Boomerang.

I just dynamite'd my way down to some weird glowing orb thing in a Corruption-surrounded pit... and I think I destroyed it and it said "You feel a terrible shiver down your spine." What is that?

Also, a few times while I was mining, I got the message "You get the feeling something is watching you" or something and when I Magic Mirror'd my way home, a massive Eye of Cthulu (I think) came right on top of my 6-story fort, bopped me on the head for who-know-how-much damage and killed me... then it went away.

Will Mushroom Grass spread or do you have to plant seeds for each square of it? I want to start my own mushroom farm, but I have only come across one seed...

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You get the "You feel a terrible shiver down your spine." message after you break a shadow orb. It means that a meteorite is about to fall. If you break enough shadow orbs in quick succession (or even sometimes just one) a boss might spawn. It gives you a message like something is watching you (Cthulu) or something about screeches (Eater of Worlds), and then spawns a couple minutes later.

I assume mushroom grass seed is basically an acorn, but I've never planted one before. If this is true they won't spread. They also only grow underground.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ahh, thanks for the info.

I had made an underground mud-coated room with no light in it and planted one mushroom seed, all it did was make one square worth of mushroom grass (which glows) and has yet to spread. I think it won't spread and you need a seed for each square... which sucks considering how rare the seeds are from full-grown mushrooms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast