+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Terraria (2d Minecraft)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

woot, got a phaseblade. My progress is pretty slow I guess, just going to find some obsidian now. I take it that digging a vertical shaft is what lets you skip straight to hellstone?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yes. Its also a good way to find obsidian. You will more than likely pass through a few pools of water on the way down. Just take them with you and you are also more than likely to find your way into a lava pool. You'll have all the obsidian you could ever want.

Has anyone else started collecting the more rare building blocks? I've been collecting all of the gold and silver blocks from floating islands and I've been taking a couple stacks of bricks from the dungeons that I've encountered. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of it yet but its cool to know I'll have a bunch when I need it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So... at what point does the Old Man kill you when you enter the dungeon during the day? When you enter the door or go underground?

Oh fuck yes!

I was collecting obsidian, and I get bored and decide to go make my skull and lo and behold there's a hook in my inventory! So now I have a h ookshot too, huzzah.

Is there any other use for obsidian (besides hellstone bricks) or can I make myself a 2nd skull?

Now what, head down to get hellstone?

This game is so fucking amazing

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You need a lot of obsidian in order to make Hellstone Bars. 2 obsidian and 6 hellstone is one bar if I recall correctly.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have had nothing but headaches trying to mine hellstone. If it's not 4~5 Imps pummeling me with fireballs from spots I can't reach/hit them, it's a big ass Bone Serpent fucking me up in the most awkward spot where I can't get away without falling into magma.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah mining hellstone is not fun. What I did was make 5 of those obsidian skull things for defense and then went down there, I made a small tunnel straight down into the ash/hellstone below lava until I couldnt see the open cave above. That way the imps can only spawn inside the tunnel with you which makes them easy prey when they spawn. The Bone Serpents are a pain in the ass in a small cave though. Spam potions when they come to play. Once you've mined a decent tunnel length wise start to make it a big room. It will make dealing with the bone serpents easier. Make sure its all flat though or the imps with have advantage on you in a lot of places.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How well optimized is Terraria? Might end up just paying full price for it to play during FFXI downtime if I'm laughing at its CPU/GPU usage.
    (my PC is old >.> )

Also, am curious if parts of the map not in view will have random events/growth over time? That not happening was one of the things I disliked about Minecraft, Notch never bothered timestamping the map chunks so it could calculate changes in realtime based on the last time you were near it.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Terraria runs very well on my laptop that can barely run Minecraft. If you're still worried just pirate the game to see how it runs then buy it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

considering it, but is it something you more play by yourself or are multiple people in the same worlds? any large worlds here?

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You can play with up to 8 people in each world, and you can create small, medium, and large worlds. Most people choose small worlds, since they're pretty much the perfect size, and it's easier to get fallen stars/get to the dungeons at the end of the map. I've been hosting my own server since it isn't very upload/CPU intensive.

I do have to say that their isn't much to do once you get all the items and beat all the bosses a couple times. There just isn't very much freedom for creative building.

I can see how the inability to build really limits the game once you've exhausted the (considerable) content, but the fact that you can swap your characters (and therefore items) between worlds is really nice and does open things up if you decide to embark on bigger projects.

Well anywho, I finally tunneled a huge amount of water down to hell with me, and subsequently got raped by fire imps who apparently have no issues shooting fireballs underwater. I did manage to get 3 stacks of obsidian, so now I have 3 skulls (in addition to shiny red balloon and lucky horseshoe from raiding the floating isles) although I am still rocking the mining helmet, a silver body piece, and meteorite pants.

Then I went back up to the surface and immediately the eye of cthulhu came flying into my house, and I decide to fight it with the 2 stacks of lesser healing potions I had left over from my switch to normals, and my phaseblade... and somehow I won. It was a pretty epic fight with some close calls, but some of the most fun I've had so far. The dryad moved in the next morning, and I was able to go back down to the nether again to pick up a hellforge to complete my workshop. Now I just need more meteorite, more demonite, more hellstone, and I'd really love to luck out and find some rare gear from chests at some point (so far all I've gotten is 2 enchanted boomerangs lol)

I definitely feel like the game is surprisingly well balanced already, the exception being that they REALLY need to lower the spawn rate for certain mobs (fire imps, mother slimes, eaters of souls) or allow you to do it yourself either with adjustable difficulties or items that can lower spawn rates while carried. I'd really love to see an elevator system added in ala minecarts in minecraft, with tracks you can build to carry your character straight up and down as far as you want.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So what armor is the best to use? Does cobalt give off light? Or does everybody just run around swinging a molten pickaxe all the time?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Molten Armor has the highest Defense. It gives off light while you are moving. I almost always run around using an Orb of Light though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Where's orb of light come from? Is that a spell? or an item?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Its an item that you can get from the Shadow Orbs in Corruption Randomly.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    I can see how the inability to build really limits the game once you've exhausted the (considerable) content, but the fact that you can swap your characters (and therefore items) between worlds is really nice and does open things up if you decide to embark on bigger projects.
    Also the contents of your Piggy Bank are client-side and carries over to any world that has one in it, even if it's not yours. Pretty nice little touch if you want to carry over more stuff than you can carry.

Tonko

Quote Originally Posted by Mots View Post
    Get a Phoenix Blaster and he goes down in about 1 minute. I -still- cant find a pair of Rocket Boots. I've started up and deleted at least 6 worlds now. I've been raiding dungeons and sky islands. No luck. -_-
    So after some research, the patch three days ago apparently made rocket boots ONLY come from goblin sorcerers.

Nice, decided to raid some new worlds and now I have a bunch of dungeon decorations (whatever I could reach through the walls lol), a breathing reed, 2 orbs of light, a crapload of demonite and meteorite ore, vilethorn, harpoon, hermes boots, and a magic mirror.

Finally got goblins to attack my main world too, and now I have some shiny new rocket boots. Although I don't really like these as much as shiny red balloon/cloud in a bottle/grapple for whatever reason, mostly because they drain mp so fast and even with a band of starpower it doesn't come back fast enough. I guess you really need full cobalt armor too to get the most out of them?

I think I'm going to try and collect every weapon/armor/accessory in the game, aside from gold or weaker stuff. Looks like I'll be spending a shitload of time killing hornets. Does holding the water candle increase enemy spawn rate, or can you just keep it in your inventory to get that effect?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm pretty sure it just needs to be in your inventory. I am also super jealous that you have rocket boots. I am sad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast