+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Choppy playback on Windows 7 64 bit

Hi all,

Recently I have solved the random CPU freeze issue while running FFXI, and the problem turned out to be that I didn't have my power option set to performance. And now I am going to try to solve the issue that the game runs choppy (the problem was there since the installation of the game, but it was very much playable so I didn't bother with it). I am not sure if choppy is the word to use, but when I run around in abyssea or any texture rich area, I would experience very very very tiny delay on the background constantly. I want to point out that the effect is very small and probably can't be noticed unless staring at the background. It is not a lag issue and only happens in game not anywhere else such as watching video or normal everyday use.

The specs are:

i5-2500k
    HD 6950 updated to the latest driver that was released last month. A very clean installation with uninstall of the old driver, driversweeper, CCCleaner etc etc all that fun stuff.
    4 GB RAM
    750w PSU
    Gigabyte P67A U4 motherboard
    Windows 7 x 64

In game configurations are 1440x900 on screen resolution. 2880x1800 background resolution. Uncompressed everything, animation smooth, MIP bump 1, Mapping 1, drawdistance set 5, weather effect on, shadow on. POL is the vista/windows 7 version.

I use windower latest version. All the plugins are the latest version, resources updated. But when I start the game, I use the launcher shortcut instead of GUI shortcut. Inside GUI shortcut I don't have the x64 clicked, not sure if any of that are the problem but I am going to lay them out anyway. I set windower launcher file property to run under window xp service pack 1 compatible and admin mode. FPS are usually in the high 20+, no lag experienced whatsoever.

I have heard directX update, soundcard problem, and monitor refresh rate etc etc are all possibilities. I have ruled out hardware problems since the system runs well in benchmark tests. I can't really test PSU but I assume it is good as I have no crashing issue or BSOD. I experience pink screen of death very very rarely like once a week if even that while usually in game.

I use logitec smartdesktop that has wireless mouse, keyboard, and sound. It is in the latest version. But when I go into device manager and click on hidden device, it shows up 3 logitec things under hidden with ! next to it. I click on them and they all run properly and are up to date. Should I delete those hidden drivers?

I also use a fairly old monitor with max refresh rate at 75. I think I set it to 75 and the default was 60. I am not sure if that's the problem.

If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Gonna bump this. I'm experiencing the exact same issue. The lag is ever-so-slight. You can see it if you're focusing on it, but now that I know it's there, I see it all the time.

i7 2.8ghz (OC to 4.0)
    12 gigs of ram
    ATI 5870 2gb
    1kw PSU
    Windows 7 x64

I've even resorted to downgrading to last year's drivers, same thing happens.

Wondering if it's a DX11 > DX8 problem?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Here's a video of it. It's most pronounced when the scene changes and the mountain is going by, about 1/2 way through.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Inside GUI shortcut I don't have the x64 clicked, not sure if any of that are the problem but I am going to lay them out anyway. I set windower launcher file property to run under window xp service pack 1 compatible and admin mode.
    The x64 is not a saved setting for the game, its a setting for windower so it knows where to look in the registry to make your changes. So you don't need to worry about that other than you always need it checked if you launch with the gui (launching with launcher.exe is fine).

I can't really see an issue in that video, but it kinda sounds like a problem I had recently. I had reinstalled xi and noticed that about once a second the game would stutter for an instant. The fps was staying high (28+) but it just had this hiccup about once a second, most noticeable when running. Never quite found a fix, but a reformat fixed it!

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    The x64 is not a saved setting for the game, its a setting for windower so it knows where to look in the registry to make your changes. So you don't need to worry about that other than you always need it checked if you launch with the gui (launching with launcher.exe is fine).

I can't really see an issue in that video, but it kinda sounds like a problem I had recently. I had reinstalled xi and noticed that about once a second the game would stutter for an instant. The fps was staying high (28+) but it just had this hiccup about once a second, most noticeable when running. Never quite found a fix, but a reformat fixed it!
    I formatted my computer last week to try to resolve this, and it still didn't . I'm almost convinced it's ATI's newer drivers. I'll rollback to last year's when I get home to see if it fixes it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Check my post here, worth a try instead of uninstalling until it works >.> http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/105...g-every-second

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    Check my post here, worth a try instead of uninstalling until it works >.> http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/105...g-every-second
    That totally just fixed my problem. What the fuck?

How does that even work? lol

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I was reading around, and it seems this is a problem that has been going on with many games over a looooong period of time.