1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Letter from the Producer X (5/20/2011)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...805-20-2011%29

Hello again, all fans of FINAL FANTASY XIV!

Today’s letter marks the tenth entry in the series, which is still going strong thanks to your support. As always, I’ll endeavor to keep the latest information flowing to you, so keep watching this space!

It’s been a while since I last updated our list of changes, so I figured it was due for a good clean up. Like last time, I’ve grayed out the items already implemented and noted what patch they were released in. New entries to the list are appropriately marked as -NEW-. The Battle System section was getting a bit large, so I made a separate category for enemy and field changes. This time around, the list contains additions planned for up until summer 2011. You see what I did there with the bold font for emphasis? But anywho, without further ado, feast your eyes on the list in its entirety! (Remember, these are our plans until summer 2011!)
    HUGE TABLE WITH ALL OF THE GOODIES
    go check the link for it, too long to post it here.

Now here’s the accompanying commentary. On the hot topic of battle, as our lead battle planner Akihiko Matsui posted on the forums the other day, major changes are in store heading into summer, such as the introduction of auto-attack. Now, to make Matsui stop his incessant poking (he’s still at it!), let me put it this way—the theme of the overhaul to the battle system is reward effort, reduce monotony. Let’s see if that holds off the pokes.

Think of the satisfaction you get when taking out an enemy solo by a stroke of brilliance. Or the supreme exhilaration you feel when pwning entire hoards of foes by playing out your party role to perfection. Now, in contrast, imagine a person who, with only half his heart in the battle, struggles to dispatch the enemy. This kind of range in experience is what we’re aiming for with the reformed battle system—a system that rewards effort and innovation. Revisions to the Armoury System and battle algorithms will be spearheading the changes, along with the introduction of the job system. We’re pressing forward with changes catering to both solo and party play, so you can rest assured whatever your playing style.

1.18 will see levequest balancing go into full swing, starting with revisions centered on rewards. As for crafting and gathering, we’re tweaking existing recipes and adding brand-new ones for crafter gear ahead of the summer. I’m pleased to say we’ve concluded our feasibility study for the Materia crafting system (though the name is still tentative), and will soon hammer out the details for the UI and start working on the data.

Now, there’s one new item on the list that fans of the FINAL FANTASY series wouldn’t have missed: the long-awaited battle with the primal Ifrit is on the way! But that’s hardly where it ends. We’ll be summoning forth more and more primals in the future, so keep an eye out for further announcements.

A number of plans made at the beginning of the year will soon be ripe for release. Among these are the shiny new job system (a proper system, mind you, not just renamed classes), an in-game achievement system related to Lodestone character histories, and new modes of transport to address the mobility issue. Once our current plans progress to the next stage, I believe it’ll be possible to unveil a longer-term update schedule. (We’ve been giving chocobos a lot of thought, but it’s hard to establish a timeframe before we define exactly what needs to be done.)

And that about does it for this letter. For next time, I’m planning to write all about our progress on auto-attack, and hope to be able to present the feature to you in fully animated glory rather than with dull screenshots. (Note to self: have Lodestone crew implement video embedding on the website.)

Thanks for reading! Catch you next time and/or on the forums!

Lot's of cool stuff planned, but it's kinda sad to actually see how little they've accomplished so far. But hopefully a lot of these things will be coming in the next few months. There is one thing that concerns me however; "Current: Examination of mount system (including chocobos)." I know he talks about chocobos and "other means of transport" in the letter, but to me this just all sounds like they're not even done planning the system yet, which means they have yet to even begin development for it.

Justin Bieber
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justin Bieber
    FFXIV Server
    Masamune

Why does ifrit battle deserve a spot there? why the hype over one BCNM.. also, Implementation of a r30/50 dungeon, Does this mean we're only getting two? one for r30, one for r50?

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You know, reading all this stuff it is truly a shame they didn't give Yoshi P this project to begin with. Having him at the helm, they are getting their shit together, and it seems like he genuinely cares. If he had been in control since day one of development, or at least high up on the chain, we might have had a playable game from the start.

Groovebox

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroishime View Post
    Why does ifrit battle deserve a spot there? why the hype over one BCNM.. also, Implementation of a r30/50 dungeon, Does this mean we're only getting two? one for r30, one for r50?
    Yes.

Also, I wonder if crafters will be able to parley with Ifrit? :D I just wish he'd fucking elaborate on the job system.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozer View Post
    Lot's of cool stuff planned, but it's kinda sad to actually see how little they've accomplished so far. But hopefully a lot of these things will be coming in the next few months. There is one thing that concerns me however; "Current: Examination of mount system (including chocobos)." I know he talks about chocobos and "other means of transport" in the letter, but to me this just all sounds like they're not even done planning the system yet, which means they have yet to even begin development for it.
    The planning could take longer than actual implementation, especially if they go through with their idea of "with a twist".

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Why does ifrit battle deserve a spot there? why the hype over one BCNM
    Considering they talk about cutscenes and that, I wouldnt be surprised if it was a branch off of the main storyline missions, might be quite a big deal.

.. also, Implementation of a r30/50 dungeon, Does this mean we're only getting two? one for r30, one for r50?
    Yup, two dungeons. We've known about that for a long time.

A number of plans made at the beginning of the year will soon be ripe for release
    Hopefully this means 1.19 or so we'll start seeing airships and shit.

Justin Bieber
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justin Bieber
    FFXIV Server
    Masamune

Aw, i was hoping at least 3 r50s dungeons for each company, Oh well more waiting! Hurrays

Aw, i was hoping at least 3 r50s dungeons for each company, Oh well more waiting! Hurrays
    Honestly, I've come to terms with the fact that this game won't even be close to ready until the end of the year. I've just left it for other things for now. =/

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Should have at least 1 dungeon every 10 levels starting at level 10, or you're not going to get any new players. Couple that with at least 5 at level 50 and you have the bare minimum for a launch imo.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Now I actually wonder how much of that is going to make it in 1.18. It sounds like a whole lot of that stuff is in early development stages to me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dense Fever
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

All of the -NEW- additions seem to be quite nice.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiseran Gustaberg
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Akama

"-NEW-
    Reexamination of surplus values
    -NEW-
    Final examination for the abolition of surplus values
    -NEW-
    Abolition following balance adjustments"

I'm coming home!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

I know I'm just being impatient but I really wish they could start rolling some changes out in the next few weeks. I want a good reason to play the game again and prepare for the "NEW" changes.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

I'm excited over everything listed in that list. If theres anything to be upset over is the fact that theres no "System" or "Server" changes listed.

As I've said many times; August will be when everyone can see where the game will be going forward.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

So Ifrit will be the first major raid boss if I'm reading this right.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Woozer View Post
    All of their previous comments on chocobos were along the lines of "We haven't implemented them yet because we want to do more than just transportation with them. We're not sure exactly what though, so we'll wait to release them only after figuring that out". I think even Tanaka was saying this ages ago. My guess is it just kept getting pushed back, what with all of the bucketload of changes being worked on up till now (which are frankly more important than chocobos) and only now they're starting to consider working on that again.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Kensaki View Post
    So Ifrit will be the first major raid boss if I'm reading this right.
    I think hes a mission boss but don't quote me on that.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Sounds good. I'm ready to fight whenever the changes come around. My Lancer is still untouched (I was waiting for when things turned around - if they turned around).

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

This might actually make me log in!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast