+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Having played through it I can tell you its worth every penny.
    Now that the honeymoon phase is over with this game, I don't feel bad about saying that is actually my favorite FF game as of now (Note that I care much more about how a game plays than its story though).

XV looks great so maybe its stay on the throne won't last long.

Dayum, is it really not coming out until the end of 2015 :/?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Dayum, is it really not coming out until the end of 2015 :/?
    It's coming out on March 17 in NA.

Ah ok. Not too bad then. Fkn amazon >B(

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Having played through it I can tell you its worth every penny.
    Now that the honeymoon phase is over with this game, I don't feel bad about saying that is actually my favorite FF game as of now (Note that I care much more about how a game plays than its story though).

XV looks great so maybe its stay on the throne won't last long.
    With Char on this one but it's probably my #2. Can't get over the nostalgia effect of 6 right now...

Such a great game, don't miss Type-0 for ANYTHING.

Definitely one of my favourites and absolutely the best for game play. I don't think I can recommend type-0 more so I will again.

Play this shit.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/19...panese-voices/

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will include both English and Japanese voices, the game’s product page on Sony Computer Entertainment Asia’s website confirms.
    Someone in the FFXV thread had mentioned wanting to see this in that game, so I figured someone here might care.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

That's pretty impressive. FFXIII on steam also promises Japanese voice acting.

I actually prefer the games in English while I prefer anime in Japanese.

Having choice is definitely good

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    That's pretty impressive. FFXIII on steam also promises Japanese voice acting.
    :O So it does!

Looks like I'll finally play XIII: We Hope You Like Cooridors.

Even though I've already blown through Lightning Returns...

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync View Post

Don't. XIII-2 is alright though.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Stop talking about shitty games in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync View Post

Don't go backwards, it only gets worse.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I haven't played any of the XIII games but I plan to one day. Is 13 really that bad that I should just skip it, but the others are okay?

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    I haven't played any of the XIII games but I plan to one day. Is 13 really that bad that I should just skip it, but the others are okay?
    Give a few hours of it a shot. If you can deal with that for most of the game it might be worth it once you get to the large open area. Unfortunately that only comprises about 10% of the game much later on.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Try the ps now version

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I thought that Lightning Returns was abysmal but enjoyed the other two, opinions can vary.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    FINAL FANTASY XIII: On a scale with focus being the worst and la'fal'el cie being the best, I give it a twist-tie. The below is my opinion and actually not spoily, but it is off-topic.
    Spoiler: show
    No, it isn't really that bad. People love to hate it because that is the cool thing to do. That isn't to say that it is a perfect or great game (as all of the complaints that you've heard about it are based in reality), but it isn't really a bad Final Fantasy game. The trilogy is comprised of three pretty decent games. The second learned from the first and the third doubled down on doing whatever the fuck it wanted to do.

The first half of the game is linear, like most Final Fantasy games. It is infinitely more noticeable, however, as you cannot backtrack, there is no world map, there are no towns, and there are no minigames. In Final Fantasy X, you ran forward to the next story exposition and repeated that after.

I imagine that "Press X to Combat" is possible for the first part of the game as well, but I actually liked the combat system more than the previous games as there was a more active component. The system lacks a lot of true depth, especially once you figure out the best party setups. It isn't a hard game unless the stick by which you measure it is the easiest game in the universe, but I still found it enjoyable enough (especially considering I was expecting something that had me a lot less active).

The character progression system isn't my favorite. Each character as different abilities in the same trees, so two characters of the same class will be more/less useful. Variation itself isn't bad (set character archetypes is perfectly fine), but the fact that it looks similar to the sphere grid gives a false impression of what it is. You grind for points, max the level you're at, and go up another level. You don't make any actual decisions within the tree. Much closer to FF4/9 (character archetypes) than FF6/7/8/10 (blank-ish slate).

The story is forgettable, but as I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the stories in Final Fantasy games. A lot of them have great overarching ideas and themes, but the implementation is subpar at best (but that can be said about nearly any story written). Execution matters, and it shows here. The team that came up with the actual lore surrounding everything that happens in 13 did a pretty good job. It was interesting and intriguing...except it is hidden in menus instead of being part of the world. I imagine that while the team was off trying to make this pretty engine, the writers were writing as much as they could. When it came time to implement it, we ended up getting a section of the menu for story. Oh well. The plot of the second game is so disjointed from the first that it is obvious they needed to make another game in the series for money (or perhaps Toriyama fan fiction) and not because they thought it was a good creative decision.

The characters are fairly stereotypical and generic. Most people point to Sazh as the best and complain about Vanille's accent and Hope's dialogue, but all the dialogue reads like a translation. The actors themselves do a good job with the material they're given, but there's only so many ways you can repeat the same lines without sounding like an idiot. I had no problem with Vanille's accent. I thought that Hope's motivation for being a little shit was contrived, but all kids are little shits so it was pretty easy to ignore. Fang should've been onscreen more and needed a sex scene with Vanille. Snow is given a stoic front, but they don't do enough to realize what's happening underneath that. Sazh probably is the best, because he's the most likable of the cast, but I feel that they missed a huge opportunity with his character to do something really special. Lightning's flatness is a foil to Snow and the motivation is (as with Snow) underutilized. Overall, the entire cast needed more in terms of progression and more measured. Lightning Returns gives them a bit of progression, but 13-2 doesn't do much for the leads.

I actually disagree with the idea that the game opens up at any point. Even when it does, the content that is there is just a bit of battle content that is option and occurs in a more open area. It would have been interesting if the linear portion of the game had been a much shorter intro segment with an expanded open portion that integrated the story of the land into it (which is what I thought people meant when they said it opened up). So remember that when people say it opens up, they really mean that you have one activity to accomplish at various waypoints around the area.

I completely understand why someone wouldn't like the game. There are a huge number of poor choices made in the design of the game that I would not have made. What I don't understand how those people liked many of the other Final Fantasy games based on the complaints that they have when these same flaws are present in those games as well. Maybe it just hit the tipping point for the bad design present in the other games?

I was listening to the soundtrack for this, Explorers, and the pieces that have been released from XV and it has become even more apparent that if SquareEnix can do anything well, it is find good composers.

For those that have played (without spoilers, if possible): I know the base of the story is the military school concept, but I was told that it was darker and more serious. With most people's opinions of good stories, I'm still a bit hesitant on that front, especially with 14(?) characters to focus on. Is the story a bunch of generic cliches wrapped into some good combat or is it actually something good? I'm trying to decide if I'll want to get this on release day or wait until after I've pounded The Witcher 3 into the ground.