+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Tattoo     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

BG Tattoo

Need some advice for a first time tattoo recipient. I've never really gotten one before but it's always been something in the back of my mind to maybe try one day, and that day is today.

Don't really know much about it, so going to give some general info I think might help.

I have a 'swimmers' body type.

Considering the:
    Inside of my wrist
    Upper arm
    Back shoulder (but don't want it to be stupid looking, know what I mean?)
    Back below neck

Inside of my wrist is top of my list right now, as I have a few friends with small stuff there and it looks neat. Just worried about covering it up for workplace attire and professional settings. Which would lead me to upper shoulder or back shoulder/neck...but that stuff really seems overdone and cliche.

Heres the nerd part. Thinking I want the command seals from Fate/Stay Night, either Bazett's Fragarach image or Shirou's Avalon sheath. Spoiler'd. Rin's seals for Archer are a distant third. Figured these would be something not many other people have, obscure enough to not be noticed to those not in the know as anything other than "ooh, neat", and cool enough for my own tastes.

Not really scared of needles themselves, just when they go into bone.

How bad is the pain? I have a pretty high tolerance if I know what to expect.

How to go about finding a clean and reputable place? Word of mouth? Id imagine I might be better off in Atlanta than I would a place like Athens.

Bit long, yeah. But google isnt really being a big enough help. Thanks for the advice BG.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

You already mentioned it, but yea inside the wrist isn't a good idea unless your wardrobe only consists of long sleeved shirts.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Finally going to get that shitty Mark Richt back piece done eh?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

No matter what people say about Tattoo's being so mainstream now, there are a lot of employers and other people that will still look down on tattoos. So if that matters to you, definitely get it somewhere that is easily covered up.

As for the pain, it's not that bad. It's like getting scratched by a cat over and over and over and over again for an hour or more depending on ink/size. Also wrist will most likely hurt more than other places mentioned because of less muscle/fat there.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Ardrial View Post
    No matter what people say about Tattoo's being so mainstream now, there are a lot of employers and other people that will still look down on tattoos. So if that matters to you, definitely get it somewhere that is easily covered up.

As for the pain, it's not that bad. It's like getting scratched by a cat over and over and over and over again for an hour or more depending on ink/size. Also wrist will most likely hurt more than other places mentioned because of less muscle/fat there.
    Pain isnt bad, and yes get one in a location that you can conceal if it comes to that. Most importantly, get the tattoo for YOURSELF. No matter what you get, how you get it or for what reasons, there is going to be some numbskull somewhere that is going to not "get it". Just make sure its important to you and that you love the shit out of it.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I thought this was about BG inspired tattoos

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

get tattoos on your fingertips of different famous peoples'(like Perez Hilton) fingerprints. I mean, that's what I would do

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

yeah for your first one, I would get one that can be easily covered up. and then if you get really into it, delve deeper. just be careful because you do have limited space lol I know a coworker of mine got a latin sentence or some crap going down her spine so... now if she gets anything else on her back it just might look weird or out of place.

and as for the pain... hmmm... it's like a needle going in and out of you really fast and being dragged along your skin. it also depends on your artists technique and what-not. And if you're nervous about who to go to, they should have portfolios in the shop or on the website so I would check it out and see if they do good work.

also about placement, you can always talk to your artists and get their input. More often then not, they would know where would look best. And I guarantee you that if you give them a kind of broad idea of what you want then pass the reins onto them, they'd be more into the tattoo and do a better job. I know my guy hates it when snobby retards come in asking for a tattoo somewhere that would look terrible, but they don't listen to him... so he does it and guess what, it looks terrible. Trust yer artist, meng

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    I thought this was about BG inspired tattoos
    holy shit this. So disappoint in you OP....

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I just got one on my inner bicep. I think it's p cool. i'm either to get one on the side of my abdomen or down the back of my right arm (kinda like next to my tricep) next. i'm contemplating getting a half sleeve but i'll save that for when i have a couple stax to blow

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Most importantly, get the tattoo for YOURSELF. No matter what you get, how you get it or for what reasons, there is going to be some numbskull somewhere that is going to not "get it". Just make sure its important to you and that you love the shit out of it.
    By far the most important thing. I made myself wait almost 5 years before getting my first tattoo to make sure I still liked it and it still represented what I felt. As for the place, I asked friends where they went and their impressions and met the artist before getting it done for his input and to see what his thoughts on it were.
    Awkward picture (The text isn't crooked when my arm isn't twisted):

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

@ Deejay: Your sig is so borderline NSFW.

Also just going to echo what everyone else has said - if you can't hide it, hope profession doesn't expect "Professional" in appearance for every situation. I've know plenty of people with hand/neck tatoo's who will freely admit that when it comes job hunting time they have it rougher than if they did not. One just wears gloves to work all the time because he is able to. People just thought he was nuts until he showed them why.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Pain is pretty much like being scratched by a cat who's liking a battery, best way I can describe it(They won't be going anywhere near the bone lol, it's all surface work.)
    Unless you're working at a place that's ok with long sleeves I wouldn't go with anything on inner forearm/wrist. I'd recommend half sleeves or back shoulder area, it hides easily but you can also show it off when you feel like it.

Here's a picture of my left arm, I'll post the right arm when I stop being lazy and take a picture.
    Edit: Don't mind the fuzz

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've been debating the inside of my wrist too, but I decided to just move it up my arm to get it on like, where your arm bends (the opposite side of the elbow). If that makes any sense. Same effect really as the wrist imo, just a more concealable location.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I was also one to think this was a BG inspired tattoo...

Anyhow, as others have said, pain is similar to a cat scratch, or a scrape.

Maybe after the BG logo contest is done, I'll get whatever the winning logo is as my next tattoo.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    I've been debating the inside of my wrist too, but I decided to just move it up my arm to get it on like, where your arm bends (the opposite side of the elbow). If that makes any sense. Same effect really as the wrist imo, just a more concealable location.
    Any skin you can see when you're wearing a t-shirt isn't easily concealable without specific effort. I always double check my watch when I'm with my grandparents.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Don't get it in a place that isn't easily covered, unless you're financially set for life. Wait several months between deciding on a design and getting it inked. They'll make a printed rub-on template/outline so you can decide on exact placement. The needle feels more hot than painful. It does get irritating after several hours but it's nothing unbearable... actually, sitting in one place for 3 hrs was worse than the needle, for my first one. Don't pick at the scabs. Antibiotic cream for the first 24 hrs, then unscented moisturizer until it's healed.

I've never seen or heard of an unclean tattoo parlor outside of Mexico. Word of mouth is generally your best bet for finding good artists, but ask to see some of their work, etc. A simple little sigil isn't going to be a challenge for anyone, though.

Damn you for making me want to go spend money...

also, don't get it where you can't see it....i don't understand why people get tattoo's on their back. My brother did and i'm wondering does he stand in front of the mirror so he can appreciate it? What's the point of getting art you can't see. It should be 100% for you.

People will say stupid stuff like "what will you do when you're 80 and wrinkled." My best answer is hope i can make it to the bathroom on time, who gives a shit about ink at 80.

BG's Official Canucks Fan
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya View Post
    also, don't get it where you can't see it....i don't understand why people get tattoo's on their back. My brother did and i'm wondering does he stand in front of the mirror so he can appreciate it? What's the point of getting art you can't see. It should be 100% for you.
    I had my families crest tattooed in between my shoulder blades on my back and I love having it there. You don't have to always see it to appreciate it. I just like knowing it's there and it reflects my love for my family.

As for OP I would recommend not doing it on back, shoulder maybe. It doesn't really hurt except for if they draw over your vertebrae, that stings a fair bit. The most difficult thing I had to deal with was the boredom as I had to sit still for 3 hours with nothing to do but make small talk with the tattoo artist and frankly I'd rather he focus on his work.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

With the exception of Irezumi and getting a lot of work done on a bony area like the wrist, shin, spine, etc the pain is very manageable. Honestly harder to sit still in the chair for hours on end. And look at different shops, look at their portfolios, get to know your artist. And most importantly, tip your artist well. Great artists are worth the cost and having a good relationship for future work pays off. Cheap/free touchups, skipping the waiting list, and if they are generous they can do some free doodles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast