+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

ah come on grandad

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Aaron McGruder bids emotional farewell to 'The Boondocks'

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#ixzz2xMJGuj2n

Aaron McGruder, the creator of "The Boondocks" comic strip and animated series, has finally weighed in on his exit from the show, saying an emotional goodbye to his edgy characters just a few weeks before the April 21 launch of the fourth and final season of the series on Adult Swim.

His comments come a week after Sony Pictures Television, which produces the animated series about 10-year-old black militant Huey Freeman and his gangsta-wanna-be younger brother Riley living in the suburbs with their grandfather, said in a press release that the upcoming season "was produced without the involvement of Aaron McGruder, when a mutually agreeable production schedule could not be determined."

McGruder released his statement about the situation on the Facebook page of his upcoming live action "Black Jesus" series that he is developing for Adult Swim.

"As the world now knows, 'The Boondocks' will be returning for a fourth season, but I will not be returning with it," McGruder began. "I'd like to extend my gratitude to Sony and Adult Swim for three great seasons."

"I created 'The Boondocks' two decades ago in college, did the daily comic for six years and was show runner on the animated series for the first three seasons," McGruder wrote. " 'The Boondocks' pretty much represents my life's work to this point. Huey, Riley and Granddad are not just property to me. They are my fictional blood relatives. Nothing is more painful than to leave them behind.

"To quote a great white man, 'Hollywood is a business.' And to quote another great white man, 'Don't hold grudges.'

"What has never been lost on me is the enormous responsibility that came with 'The Boondocks' -- particularly the television show and its relatively young audience. It was important to offend, but equally important to offend for the right reasons. For three seasons I personally navigated this show through the minefields of controversy. It was not perfect. And it definitely was not quick. But it was always done with a keen sense of duty, history, culture and love. Anything less would have been unacceptable.

"As for me, I'm finally putting a life of controversy and troublemaking behind me with my upcoming Adult Swim Show, 'Black Jesus.' "

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

WAT

Still looks like S4 will be released.. but I wonder what ramifications there will be without him.
    I mean I understand it's tiring to constantly defend something you love to do.. but he thinks he wont get the same flak for doing "Black Jesus"?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    WAT

Still looks like S4 will be released.. but I wonder what ramifications there will be without him.
    I mean I understand it's tiring to constantly defend something you love to do.. but he thinks he wont get the same flak for doing "Black Jesus"?
    whoooooooooooooosh

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I had absolutely no idea he wasn't involved with S4.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

MY MOTHER FUCKING NIGGA STINKMEANER IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

HELL YEAH STINKMEANER !

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Boondocks does have the best fight choreography.
    Without McGruder I suspect the series will lean more towards gag shows than laser-focused satire. It'll be fine, just perhaps not what it was before. Bring on Black Jesus.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Anyone else get the sense that there's going to be an overarching plot to the season from that trailer?

BG Level

Meh. I personally think the whole Stinkmeaner bit has run its course. They're turning the nigga into the Boondocks Sidshow Bob.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

^ and I give no fucks about it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So we got Django and Breaking Bad episodes, Stinkmeiner episodes, and general niggatry going on. So excite.

BG Level

It does feel like there's going to be an overall plot to this season.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

I'm liking this already.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I missed it. What were the impressions?

It was just okay.

The first episode seemed far too much like the previous episode with Usher, except with Chris Brown this time. Not nearly enough Uncle Ruckus in this episode.

The preview for next week looks a lot better.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I agree, a Meh episode. Idk why they chose to start the season with a Tom Episode instead of something better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast