1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goblin Balloon Brigade     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Buttons Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Goblin Balloon Brigade

Hey guys. What started off as a little idea on the official forums for a quest and mission line and some fun NM fights, evolved into the little idea of the Goblin Ballon Brigade.

The original post and idea can be found on my blog:
    http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.com...in-airmen.html

This is the post on the official forums, if you could please help keep the thread bumped it would be greatly appreciated. With so much complaining and negativity on that board it's nice to have something else to focus on and maybe even bring a smile to the devs. (Or a fit of laughter. )
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...-goblin-airman

I thought they would make a brilliant NM for FFXIV so I whipped this up using the XI models in Altana-View.

Basically it's a tough NM fight with 3 Goblins, airborne on balloons. Mages and Archers need to damage the Goblins in order to pop the balloons. Meanwhile the Goblins shoot with their crossbows and the main goblin drops goblin bombs. You can evade these bombs, similar to the rank 46 main mission fight.
    Once a goblin's balloon is popped he falls to the ground, temporarily stunned. Now the melee fighters can deal damage to the goblin. After a set time the goblin inflates a new balloon and takes to the sky again.

There could be a set of missions or side-quests leading up to the confrontation. The Goblin Airmen are a notorious group of thieves who are up to no good again. Only this time they stole something really powerful and valuable (your reward once you defeat them hehe)and a very important Lalafell asks you to track them down.
    You however have trouble confronting the Goblins, as they keep evading you and flying away. So what do you do?
    You go looking for help. Maybe the Goblin Airmen's arch-nemesis, the Cactuar with his pointy needles can help you deal with the flying nuisance...

I could even see the Goblin Airmen become a recurring quest/NM for Final Fantasy XIV. Final Fantasy XI had amazing quest-lines such as the Star Onion Brigade and Babban Ny Mheillea.
    The confrontation with these tricksy goblins could be a fun distraction and they could turn up every now and then when you least expect them.
    You could have challenging battles, lovely rewards, funny comedic scenes and maybe even an ally in the end who helps you ally with the beastmen and confront the empire. The name is also open for suggestions, I liked the suggestion of Goblin Balloon Brigade. :D

I know FFXIV devs have tons to do but would it not be amazing for them to consider something like this in the future? ^_^/

http://www.abload.de/img/goblinairmenan6e.jpg

As people have been interested in the idea, I expanded the lore a little and also have a new image ready.
    The Goblin Balloon Brigade pilfered valuables from a very influential Lalafell family in Uldah. It is this family that first contacts you. So you get to meet new awesome Lalafell NPC and then go on your journey to hunt down the goblins who keep evading you. Not only do they always manage to be a step ahead of you, they pilfer from Limsa, Gridania and even Ishgard. They are a real pest.
    Somehow their balloons have an odd enchantment protecting them, so you have difficulties confronting them. Your Lalafell employer then mentions the rumours of a little Cactuar community that the goblins despise. You find these Cactuars and are astounded that they can actually communicate with you, but it should have been logical since you have the power of the echo! A young cactuar agrees to accompany you and aid you in bringing down their pesky balloons. (Or he just gives you a special needle. xD)

Here we have the Cactuar-Trio taking on the Goblin Balloon Brigade. (Since I only have FFXI models to work with, the Cactuars look different. Please excuse this.) The Goblin Balloon Brigade leader, Flyhigh Dizzylots, also sports his ultimate weapon, the Goblin Bomb Launcher.

http://www.abload.de/img/goblinairmanvscactuarw79p.jpg

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The launcher goblin has potential.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

SE needs to start hiring some of the players that apparently have much better ideas than they do.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Or how about Goblin Guide! Whenever it attacks, and it can attack on the turn it comes into play, the defender reveals the top card of their library. If it is a land they put it into their hand! WotC called, they want their cards back. Funny tho, it IS a very good fit ...

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Buttons Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Wow, never knew something like that existed. o.o Awesome coincidence.

bongaru

Agreed.

User was infracted for this post.