+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Doubt they could ever replicate a real FFXI server, ever. There is so much hidden shit that the only way would be if SE gave it out.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    Uh, except pointing to my original point is anything but backpedaling? I haven't changed stances, so I fail to see what you're trying to say... unless you're trying to ride the bandwagon too.
    i notice you only responded to the random person and not the person who drilled you into dust with pure win.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by TehKerm View Post
    i notice you only responded to the random person and not the person who drilled you into dust with pure win.
    Except I did. Can we get some more dicksucking and riders for the bandwagon. You're not witty, funny, whatever you're attempting to be.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Except I did. Can we get some more dicksucking and riders for the bandwagon. You're not witty, funny, whatever you're attempting to be.
    I dont have to be to surpass your level of intelligence lol, you sound a little asshurt though. And all this bandwagon screaming and dicksucking, you feel left out bro?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    'If you believe blahblahblah, you're truly an idiot' to "I never said you didn't know what you were talking about" is the very definition of backpedaling. Try again buddy.
    Should try actually quoting and not taking it out of context. I didn't say anyone didn't know what they were talking about, I said if you think a group of single digit programmers... yeah, nice try buddy.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by TehKerm View Post
    I dont have to be to surpass your level of intelligence lol, you sound a little asshurt though. And all this bandwagon screaming and dicksucking, you feel left out bro?
    Yes.

By the way, you still missed my post replying to them.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yes.

By the way, you still missed my post replying to them.
    Radical bro.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Nocturne: there is a button next to "Reply with quote" that let's you quote multiple posts. Or you can edit your replies if someone posts right before you do. You do not need to make a new post to respond to every quote.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Nocturne: there is a button next to "Reply with quote" that let's you quote multiple posts. Or you can edit your replies if someone posts right before you do. You do not need to make a new post to respond to every quote.
    Sorry. Posting from my new phone and didn't see a post til after. Won't happen again.

I'm impressed to witness some constructive talk here after the slow start.

I think about contributing to the project to improve my C++ knowledge. There are a thousand other projects but that one deals with my love for FFXI.

It may not be possible to replicate all aspects of the server but enough can be done so large parts of the game can be enjoyed.

AzureSky (the predecessor of Dark Star if you put it this way) was already at this point although a lot of stuff was missing. It was based on pXI and DLC (?) or whatever that is.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Should try actually quoting and not taking it out of context. I didn't say anyone didn't know what they were talking about, I said if you think a group of single digit programmers... yeah, nice try buddy.
    Yeah, you didn't say it... only heavily implied it. WOOO.
    Let's go ahead and just call people idiots and pretend that means you think they know what they're talking about, you know, after the verbal beatdown of course.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tiesto View Post
    I'm impressed to witness some constructive talk here after the slow start.
    Well, let's hope it continues. The thread's survived three mods poking their heads in, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so that we can all kick Nocturne while he's down. Well, isla is drawn by the smell of blood, but she'll go away if we all play nice now.

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    Well, let's hope it continues. The thread's survived three mods poking their heads in, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't so that we can all kick Nocturne while he's down. Well, isla is drawn by the smell of blood, but she'll go away if we all play nice now.
    http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/w...bloodspill.jpg

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Doubt they could ever replicate a real FFXI server, ever. There is so much hidden shit that the only way would be if SE gave it out.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

Try implementing combat code first, see how that works then get back to us.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Obviously the game is only fun using the exact formulas SE uses. Something close enough that nobody knows the difference would be terrible, and everyone would hate it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kari Arisu
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I really doubt any FFXI Private Server project would get too far.
    If they do, though, grats to them.

Though, even if the emulator manages to perfectly emulate our live FFXI servers someday, there will still be a lack of players to make the game worthwhile.
    Of course, having the emulator in general could open up possibilities.
    You could even use the client and server to make FFXI into a whole new game, technically.
    Make your own formulas and such, but all of this would be pretty annoying.

When you compare FFXI to say, Ragnarok Online...
    RO had not only much simpler formulas to make up out of thin air, but the majority of emulation was being taken from the original source and edited into different coding.
    To this day RO still has many private servers, most of them with their own uniqueness that separates them from another.

I can't really see myself playing an FFXI server at this point, unless the server had something special to offer that I'm not getting from the official server.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Reiterating Kari's point, what RO had was people hacking the fuck outta the servers and extracting the data. It's not the first game it's happened to either; when Yogurting went offline, up went the private servers. Some games didn't get as much love either, Tokimeki Memorial Online wasn't around long enough (and didn't have the fanbase, I guess) to have the server code yoinked (afaik... if I'm wrong do let me know!)

My roommate was actually one of the more notorious "pseudo-GM"-type hackers and kept making nifty tools for the real GM's to try to control the bot problems, so much so that at one point he was even filling in for KR GM's during some special event.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Player written servers have been around as long as mmogs have. They don't need to steal the original source code to do it. I understand being too young to have heard of UO or EQ, but surely you must have heard of that "WoW" thing?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Mercilessturtle View Post
    Player written servers have been around as long as mmogs have. They don't need to steal the original source code to do it. I understand being too young to have heard of UO or EQ
    We could always take that example even further back, and point toward one of the MMO genre's inspirations: MUDs. Considering how instrumental those were in forming the concept that would one day become Massively Multiplayer Online RPGs, and that they themselves were user created (another primary factor being tabletop RPGs) -- well, it's only natural for modern MMOs to be reverse engineered.

Fun fact: I was a wizard on a MUCK a very long time ago. It wasn't a popular one, and doesn't exist anymore today, but that was enjoyable. It was the first time I was able to write for an audience in game form, as I created a multitude of areas (including a desert with "rooms" linked to one another so people could get lost/warped back to the entrance). My seemingly abandoned home was, perhaps, the most detailed thing I created. Ah, fun indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast