+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New FFXI private server being developed

After SE shut down PXI development of FFXI private servers halted.

For some time a small group started developing a new improved server called Dark Star. It doesn't have the capabilities of PXI yet but shows a lot potential and offers better performance (less network traffic etc.).

It will be open-sourced by the end of this week.

You can find the forum here: http://dspt.freeforums.org/

The source code will be available here: http://code.google.com/p/darkstar-project/

I'm not a member of their team but have followed it right from the development through a few stress tests.

Don't rant about its lack of features. It is in a very early stage currently.
    In fact the same team hosted the best FFXI private server (AzureSky) which is based on PXI and DLC until last week but shut it down in favor of DarkStar.

I hope SE doesn't take action on this one as well.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tiesto View Post
    I hope SE doesn't take action on this one as well.
    Well good job advertising it on one of the largest end-game FFXI forums. I'm sure SE staff will not see it here.

At a certain point it will become known either way.
    The beauty of open-source is that it can't be really shutdown as long as long as someone still has the code.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So this is free advertisement for a server missing tons of important functions, and we aren't "allowed" to complain about lack of said functions? Why would anyone want to play on a server that is inferior in every way to the actual servers we play on now? If it were further along I could see it being more justified, but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
    So this is free advertisement for a server missing tons of important functions, and we aren't "allowed" to complain about lack of said functions? Why would anyone want to play on a server that is inferior in every way to the actual servers we play on now? If it were further along I could see it being more justified, but it isn't.
    A server to a game of that overwhelming complexity needs more than just a handful developer.
    What is advertised here is not to server to play on (that is ridiculous at this point I agree).

Its advertisment to point those to the project who may want to contribute to it.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Tiesto View Post
    A server to a game of that overwhelming complexity needs more than just a handful developer.
    What is advertised here is not to server to play on (that is ridiculous at this point I agree).

Its advertisment to point those to the project who may want to contribute to it.
    Aside from mentioning it being opensource soon, you didn't even mention that you were posting looking for developers. Its advertisement. Besides, this game has a full team of experienced employees(via schooling and working on various other games), the chance of this "project" ever getting where they want it is next to impossible. We don't even know how everything works as is. How long will someone work for free? And when the time comes, who will want to pay for a subpar server to play on? Its entirely unrealistic. I'm aware of how fun it could be, but it's a dream, and nothing more.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Its entirely unrealistic. I'm aware of how fun it could be, but it's a dream, and nothing more.
    Nothing would ever succeed if everyone referred to it in such a manner.

As essentially touched upon, the beauty of open source is its immortality, as a project can live on if its code is still distributed. While this can result in numerous branches worked on by separate development teams, some organization and dedication can turn out an admirable product, and this has happened in the past.

Furthermore, this "free" effort that people provide isn't necessarily wasted, as coders of nearly all kinds are in high demand right now, and the more successful their project, the more likely certain aspects of it (even if not the heart of the project itself) can contribute to their professional career. In that sense, it's an educational endeavor -- an investment into their future.

If it is an advertisement, what does it matter? Do you post for no reason besides bitterly raining on others' parades? If you think it could be fun, hold out hope that they succeed, and let them do as they will -- don't simply tell them they're destined to fail. Maybe it won't get off the ground, but then again, maybe it will.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Nothing would ever succeed if everyone referred to it in such a manner.

As essentially touched upon, the beauty of open source is its immortality, as a project can live on if its code is still distributed. While this can result in numerous branches worked on by separate development teams, some organization and dedication can turn out an admirable product, and this has happened in the past.

Furthermore, this "free" effort that people provide isn't necessarily wasted, as coders of nearly all kinds are in high demand right now, and the more successful their project, the more likely certain aspects of it (even if not the heart of the project itself) can contribute to their professional career. In that sense, it's an educational endeavor -- an investment into their future.

If it is an advertisement, what does it matter? Do you post for no reason besides bitterly raining on others' parades? If you think it could be fun, hold out hope that they succeed, and let them do as they will -- don't simply tell them they're destined to fail. Maybe it won't get off the ground, but then again, maybe it will.
    What does an advertisement matter? Because this isn't an adspace. This isn't the place for it, and rest assured everyone flips shit if someone posts a question not in the random question thread. I'm not pessimistic, I'm realistic, and if you think a group of single digit "programmers" are going to make this successful, you're truly an idiot. Do you know how many people it takes to create a game? Let alone the fact, that once again, we don't know how several things work already. And to touch on the "free" part again, no matter what it is, there will be prices to be paid. If this becomes successful someone has to pay for the server(s) itself, if nothing else, and where does that come from? Inspiration doesn't pay four figure servers. Furthermore, who is going to deal with the maintenance of said server? Who is going to take their free time to deal with all the petty bullshit GM calls that will be made? It isn't clearly thought out.

Maybe I missed the part where putting a game from 2002 on a resume would benefit a career in gaming in modern day... (I won't even bring up the part where its been plagued by PS2 limitations throughout its lifetime... oops, guess I did bring it up.)

Please reply with another completely absurd (and irrelevant) moral remark at the start of your next counterpoint, thank you.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

This isn't the place for it,
    actually we've had previous threads about ffxi private servers. GTFO with the back seat modding.

If this becomes successful someone has to pay for the server(s) itself, if nothing else, and where does that come from? Inspiration doesn't pay four figure servers. Furthermore, who is going to deal with the maintenance of said server? Who is going to take their free time to deal with all the petty bullshit GM calls that will be made? It isn't clearly thought out.
    If only there are private servers for other games so we can see if those actually work. IF ONLY.

Maybe I missed the part where putting a game from 2002 on a resume would benefit a career in gaming in modern day... (I won't even bring up the part where its been plagued by PS2 limitations throughout its lifetime... oops, guess I did bring it up.)
    I know two people who have high paying jobs in the gaming industry who benefited in interviews from recent ffxi-related products they've created. And probably more (only two I know actually put their item on their resume).

[edit] in fact, kohan can't even be more right on her point about this. The entertainment industry as a whole is extremely competitive, and you'd have to be a complete imbecile to think that showing a full project you created even if it is an old game won't help at all to show your talent and ability.

Please reply with another completely absurd (and irrelevant) moral remark at the start of your next counterpoint, thank you.
    lol

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Having an opinion = backseat modding? Noted.

Other games and their private servers? Those games actually had a decent enough development team to explain how things work. (Btw that isn't SE.)

Friends in the gaming industry that benefited from what exactly? A new program? Yeah, that's different. But replicating an already made game isn't resume material. That's classroom material actually. You know, the stuff you learn in the classroom... Essentially a Hello World. It isn't a "full project" anyone has created. Its the equivalent of any other remake, except this one kept the shitty graphics, and cannot even fully replicate the game enough to make nonbuggy new material.

The fact of the matter is, and always will be, that we don't know loads and loads of information/formulas/etc about large portions of the game. If the server was leaked? (That's happened with other games.) Then yeah this would be a great idea, an extraordinary idea if you could find the people to maintain it, but its extremely unrealistic. By all means, do what you want, I just don't see it getting too far.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

By all means, do what you want, I just don't see it getting too far.

Then ...........

Shut

The

Fuck

up

^_^

TY

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Do you guys plan on including comas in your FFXI server as well?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by DNAval View Post
    Then ...........
    Shut
    The
    Fuck
    up
    ^_^
    TY
    Ironic that you posted then isn't it? Fueling the fire, etc.

fo·rum
    1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Stop trying to backseat mod me, christ.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Posting "I am right cause I said so" over and over isn't discussion. You made it very clear that you are incredibly stupid and have no idea what you are talking about. We all got it, thank you, no need to keep going. Repeating it again doesn't make it discussion.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Hydraxis

Put Despot back to spawning in the gauntlet pods so 50 people can fight over the pop and I'm there........

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by DNAval View Post
    Then ...........

Shut

The

Fuck

up

^_^

TY
    Hey all of what this guy said. Extend a good luck to those coders for meh, attempting a FFXI server of any kind with seriousness takes some fortitude.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Edit: Double

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ironic that you posted then isn't it? Fueling the fire, etc.

fo·rum
    1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

neg·a·tiv·i·ty

expressing or containing negation or denial: a negative response to the question.
    refusing consent, as to a proposal: a negative reply to my request.
    expressing refusal to do something: He maintained a negative attitude about cooperating.

Then you have to go and say this......
    Right after you said this.
    What does an advertisement matter? Because this isn't an adspace. This isn't the place for it,
    If you are trying to bump up your Post count, Find other ways of being a dick. If you are by nature a Dick then please refer to my previous post.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Should just ban Nocturne already. Post in this thread alone are so sad.

Good luck on the project.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I, for one, am all about these emulated servers. Once 11 is gone and buried, it would be great to get on and relive those old memories. Heck, I still fire up the old enb emulator from enb-emulator dot com every once in a while to relive the last mmo I played before FFXI.

Poor game died just as XI was in beta, but good timing I guess, or I may not have played this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast