+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 103 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 ... LastLast

Thread: TERA: Online - Media     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Xiani View Post
    Thanks. Other than thinking the silver meant BAM (are all Elites BAMs?), I was right that red meant World Boss. At one point I thought maybe it meant rare as we ran into a pair of dogs with the red symbol just outside of Poporia and they were quite easy to kill. They didn't have the silver skull, though. When I told someone else they were easy, they tried them.. I guess what I consider easy as a Lancer is not so easy for a Slayer, lol.

I'm quite jealous of people exploring and finding neat stuff. When I went running around over to Castanica and through the desert I didn't find much of anything. I didn't even find any BAM/WB. Most of the areas were completely empty. I was really hoping to find some neat looking BAMs. I did find some neat little dragon turtles, but mostly just scenic stuff.

Can't wait to play this weekend!
    Nope, from the game's point of view a BAM is cathegorized under the "Big monsters" cathegory, as exposed by the crystals one can buy. There's 3 sizes (small, normal, big) and all of them can be Elite rank so apart from the rank, the size is also used to determine some of the stats or, at least, HP. Remember the mobs within Bastion and SM, they all have the Elite symbol, even the mini ones!

I suposse one could think about the World Boss icon as "Rare" too actualy, since obviously some of them aren't exactly Wyrms. There's also named monsters that don't have the World Boss icon (both elites and non elites), but the difference between them seems to be the repop timer. World Bosses have a longer repop so to be honest "Rare" sounds just as good to me.

Oh and finaly, the reason you didn't find anything in Castanica is because it's purposely deactivated! It was the same as the JP OBT, the area was completely empty even devoid of NPCs. Although ofcourse this might change later, I think it does hint at us having a similar beta cap as Japan (which was 38). Southern areas are populated right now, despite being 10+ levels over the current cap.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quick Teaser of the 3 new Super BAMS coming with the lvl 60 patch.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zaela'saani Anahss
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Skywall

Oh god.. the gorilla's ass glows.

I love fights that have outside elements thrown in, such as him climbing the trees and jumping around making you have to destroy the trees. On top of the unique fighting system in TERA, it should make that fight rather entertaining.

As for character creation.. I'm totally in the "takes for-freaking-ever to make her first character" boat. Hour+ just fiddling with sliders til I get what I want. Remaking characters is a little easier as I already have an idea of what I'm going for.

I really wish I would have written down the ones from JTERA for my Archer. I tried to remake it but I can't seem to get the eyes right and make them too closed/small. Not that it's a bad thing as they still look fine, I just wish I could get her to look the same.

I'll probably take the time to try and recreate her the best as possible when we get to actually keep our characters into launch. I could just take some time during the next CBT to make a character and write down the numbers there so come launch I can just breeze through it.

These have been posted before, but just to reference. It's the general idea of what I want.
    My JTERA Archer

My CBT Lancer

I didn't want the eyes big and wide. I wanted to avoid the anime-ish eyes. I try to go for the shy, quiet, bashful character look.. if that makes any sense.

I also couldn't decide which hair color. I think the lighter blue might be better because it matches the eyes the best, but I like the darker blue.

Here's my JTERA Mystic I made with the dark blue hair just to see what it looked like.

The more I look at the screenshots next to each other.. the more I think my Lancer looks better.

That purple assed gorilla/baboon looks awesome! Love how it brought down those trees. I wonder how much damage that would do if it landed on a cloth wearer.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by madpersian View Post
    That purple assed gorilla/baboon looks awesome! Love how it brought down those trees. I wonder how much damage that would do if it landed on a cloth wearer.
    If it's like most bosses, one shot or close to it.

Those new areas look pretty fancy. Hopefully they aren't quite as dark as they seem in the videos. :/

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That's just the uploaders game settings.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

When visualizing media, specialy gameplay videos, one has to take into account things like gamma correction layers.

Your monitor itself may or may not be applying a gamma curve to the colors (I have set mine so that I see more contrast, for example) and the game may even be applying its own form of color correction. Further down the line, when recorded, the game's output is recorded with the final image generated by the software, but not the one generated by the monitor.

So basicly, your monitor can be correcting an output from a game that's already internaly corrected. By correction I just mean applying a non linear function to color distribution, btw. The recording software picks the game's output, but not the monitor's.

However, the video playback software may itself be applying another layer of gamma correction. It's rather common I'd say to see dark imagery on game recordings, mostly due to these possible multiple layers of color correction.

If I record TERA and play it back, it looks much darker.

That's really interesting. Good to know as I plan to record a lot of gameplay this weekend.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Eddard View Post
    Edit: While I'm at it... wtf is up with people making characters with ridiculously looking faces.... I understand it's beta but still... put some effort into it?

Oh no! Put it out with fire!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Good enough

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Shassira View Post
    When visualizing media, specialy gameplay videos, one has to take into account things like gamma correction layers.

Your monitor itself may or may not be applying a gamma curve to the colors (I have set mine so that I see more contrast, for example) and the game may even be applying its own form of color correction. Further down the line, when recorded, the game's output is recorded with the final image generated by the software, but not the one generated by the monitor.

So basicly, your monitor can be correcting an output from a game that's already internaly corrected. By correction I just mean applying a non linear function to color distribution, btw. The recording software picks the game's output, but not the monitor's.

However, the video playback software may itself be applying another layer of gamma correction. It's rather common I'd say to see dark imagery on game recordings, mostly due to these possible multiple layers of color correction.

If I record TERA and play it back, it looks much darker.

Oh very interesting. So there is the game, monitor, recording and playback software. Hmm does Fraps use some sort of correction because I don't see it. Is there something better out there (software) to record game play? As far as playback software is concerned does VLC or Media Classic apply their own correction if you have the settings generally at default, or Youtube for that matter?

Usually Step's videos come out pretty nice (especially daylight ones), but I notice sometimes they do appear darker than usual, like the ones I posted earlier. I guess if the game play area is lighter or darker one should take that into consideration before recording?

I have the Asus VW246H model and I have it at Standard Mode (It also comes with Scenery, Theater, Game, and Night View Mode). Contrast is 85 and Brightness is 95. Not sure if I should leave it at these settings O: Have you been able to correct it so your videos don't come out so dark?

Little Mother
    BG Level

Because people really look High Elves in the face!

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post

Good enough
    Oh dear God, its not just the eyes. Those teeth!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

What the fuck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiina Cassul
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Icecrown

Holy fucking shit.... Those are just horrendous.... I joked with Avarice during EU beta this weekend that a thread might have to be made for these monstrosities at retail launch.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

My Berserker from CBT2 in hopes to offset the terribleness of the last few posts.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Push up armor, never noticed before.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    I dare any of you to actualy use an Elin like that live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post

Good enough
    What is wrong with you people?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    Oh very interesting. So there is the game, monitor, recording and playback software. Hmm does Fraps use some sort of correction because I don't see it. Is there something better out there (software) to record game play? As far as playback software is concerned does VLC or Media Classic apply their own correction if you have the settings generally at default, or Youtube for that matter?

Usually Step's videos come out pretty nice (especially daylight ones), but I notice sometimes they do appear darker than usual, like the ones I posted earlier. I guess if the game play area is lighter or darker one should take that into consideration before recording?

I have the Asus VW246H model and I have it at Standard Mode (It also comes with Scenery, Theater, Game, and Night View Mode). Contrast is 85 and Brightness is 95. Not sure if I should leave it at these settings O: Have you been able to correct it so your videos don't come out so dark?
    In fact, there's even yet another two players in this whole color correction chain: the video drivers and the OS color profile. If you are using Win7, it's likely to be using an equivalent gamma correction curve of 2.2, equating to the sRGB color space. If you are using Mac, I think I've read before that the gama is different. Yes, this is a bit of a mess tbh.

Within the GPU driver app you'll also find a gamma slider that will further process the color space into whatever you set it. In the end, the way you set the colors is honestly somewhat arbitrary to what you like, but the whole color correction drama is supossed to be there to define a standard color space so that we all agree on what the numbers mean. But I digress, back to the drivers.

I believe this is where FRAPS tends to "mess up", but I'd need to test this further. FRAPS seems to record the game output while taking into account the color correction done by the GPU drivers, thus it would store a color corrected image. Now, consider what happens when you project this image on the same monitor (assuming the playback software is not doing any further correction): the already color corrected image gets color corrected again by the GPU drivers. The effect is basicly passing the colors through the function twice, thus making it look even darker in the end.

I don't think VLC has a specific gamma function, but brightness, contrast and saturation are rather similar concepts in the end as what they do is remap a linear color space into a space more suitable for the human eye.

Personaly, I prefer to keep settings in one place. If you change color correction in one place and then on another you end up with a chain of functions that overlap and in the end you have no idea wtf is actualy happening. So I just leave my monitor at a normaly standard setting and control the color adjustments on the driver. But as mentioned earlier, this is probably what's causing the darkening effect on FRAPS (I'll check when I can!).

Color spaces are a serious mess if you ask me. That's why people in the digital design business use color profiles, so that at least they can agree on exactly wtf "blue" is on a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post

My Berserker from CBT2 in hopes to offset the terribleness of the last few posts.
    She has a huge pair of lovely eyes.