Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Ultimate Abyssea Collection issues

So I got XI running and fully updated recently thanks to Kohan's "all version updates" thread. Game ran fine, no problems. I bought the Abyssea collection off Steam so I could register WoTG, and install and register Abyssea and the rest of the addons. Ran the program and it updated my POL viewer, which I thought was strange since it I thought it was already up to date. I had to re-enter my POL ID/PW, and now it is telling me I need to update to the latest version. Gave me an 8 hour estimate.

I'm wondering if the POL viewer that came with the collection fucked up my shit.. Because now when I click on my normal POL icon on my desktop, I receive an error message. "Playonline Viewer Installation cannot write to specified destination folder. Please check your access privileges."

Also, I registered all my addons through the viewer, but, I have up to WoTG installed already from a previous collection. I want to at least install the Abyssea addons, but not sure how since the Steam "FFXI icon" just starts up the new POL viewer..... Any suggestions?

I was really hoping to just install, register, and play Abyssea. Though with work it seems I won't be able to play at all tonight, and there's maintenance tomorrow, so yeah... Pissed I just bought and waited for the download through Steam for nothing. Until Tuesday at least.. :/

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    So I got XI running and fully updated recently thanks to Kohan's "all version updates" thread. Game ran fine, no problems.
    This is where you were supposed to stop, you have all the data already there is nothing else to install, Steam gave you a cd-key or something, all you have to do is login to POL and register it to unlock the content.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you buy via Steam, you have to start the download and install of the game through Steam to see the registration code. As soon as that installation starts, it breaks the normal installation from the discs, and thus you have to reinstall and reupdate all over again. Steam installs an old version of the game that needs patching. It's like installing from the 2008 Collection discs.

If you already had the game installed, you should have bought from Amazon or Direct2Drive. If Steam had a really good sale on the collection, and you have a second computer, you should have started the install on the other computer for you to get the code without braking your updated install.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefan View Post
    If you already had the game installed, you should have bought from Amazon or Direct2Drive. If Steam had a really good sale on the collection, and you have a second computer, you should have started the install on the other computer for you to get the code without braking your updated install.
    You can stop it before it actually starts to install. There's nothing wrong with buying it from Steam on your main computer. I've done so myself, more than once.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Well fuck. I stopped the first installation, saw it was installing DirectX and clicked cancel because that shit is already on my laptop. I'm guessing I should have let it run though because I still cannot figure out how to manually install the Abyssea addons..

I was hoping there was a folder within Steam that held XI, and I could just drag all of my files to that one to avoid this. Guessing that's not the case if what Bungiefan says is true... Not even sure if I can update via POL as it always disconnected me. Thus why I used Kohan's method..............

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fhloston View Post
    I was hoping there was a folder within Steam that held XI, and I could just drag all of my files to that one to avoid this. Guessing that's not the case if what Bungiefan says is true... Not even sure if I can update via POL as it always disconnected me. Thus why I used Kohan's method..............
    ~/SteamFolder/steamapps/common/ffxi

Just drop your old FFXI folder's stuff into there. Also, SE opted to not use Steam's DRM, so you can just make a new desktop shortcut pointing to the POL exe from there without needing Steam running. It's how I dealt with it.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Awesome. Now to just figure out how to install Abyssea.. Might not even bother today though since there's maintenance..... Thanks though, Kaisha!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

There is no installing abyssea, they are patch files you pull automatically when you update. To get access you have to register the expansion. You do this in your content id management. If you still don't have access after registering, your missing a prior expansion which is required to get access (maybe wotg)

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Well that's good. I registered WoTG and all of the addons with this collection already. Seems once I drag and drop those files I'll be good. Really appreciate the help, folks. Didn't mean to seem so helpless, just out of the loop since I quit way back before ToAU was finished...

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Could you please direct me to Kohan's "all versions update"? I cannot find it, and I cannot enter Abyssea after uninstalling and reinstalling twice. Thanks.
    I am new to this forum. How do I find this thread? I tried typing "all versions update" and "Kohan", and I dont see a relevant thread.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This thread: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/114...to-update-game

has a link to the proper thread in the 2nd post. If you hover over the link, you can see the thread name for the one you want.

However, when I click on it, it appears to be locked.

Might wanna ask a mod, I've never seen that before.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The game needs to know you have it installed, those updates won't fix that. They were just update files, nothing about installing the game for you.

If you ran the installer that came with the game, you should have everything working. That is, you install pol, then ffxi, then the xpacs one by one. There is another way around this, it involves manually registering the dll files and editing the windows registry, allowing you to flat-copy the folder over to another comp without ever actually running the install-shield thing. http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...37895217382813 Only attempt if you're not a derp, can follow all the instructions, and can possibly fix your own problems with it. If you're not comfortable with registry and regsvr stuff, fully uninstall the game (everything you can), delete the folders (save your macro/marker files if you had any), and start again. Run the installers as admin and turn off your antivirus during it. I've run the installers on win7, 8, 8.1, 8.1 u1 and never had any trouble (previously abyssea edition, and lately the seekers one).

But honestly, it sounds like you didn't install the game correctly to begin with if you can't access abyssea, since it needs WotG (and possible other xpacs) installed to work and was never a standalone download to begin with. Or, if you're a returning player from before abyssea, you may not have it registered as a service to your SE account, and no amount of reinstallation will fix that. You need to register the key on SE's side; the singular ultimate abyssea or ultimate seekers keys will give you everything up to their points in time.

edit: grab the full installation files from here: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/cam...wcb/index.html

Everyone should get them, as these make installation very easy.