Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Tokusatsu shows (Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, etc.)

Inspired by recent pics/talk in Random Image. I know they're not really anime shows, but I figure this will get more attention here than in the regular entertainment section.

I was curious to see who else watches these shows. I'll admit up front that I'm much more of a Kamen Rider fan, but Gokaiger has been one of the few Sentai shows that I really got into.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

All your Toku needs

http://tokuzilla.com/

I haven't watched a full series of Super Sentai(have seen random YT videos) so Gokaiger is my first. Been watching it since February and it's awesome. I want to get into Kamen Rider too but I'm going to wait until OOO ends and Fourze starts.

I use Over-Time for Gokaiger subs and wil do the same for Fourze.

Black Belt
    BG Level

last one i watched was kamen rider kabuto, but frankly i just couldn't fucking stand corny line and japanese acting, probably the same reason I can't watch dorama

didn't help the plot twist went full retard about 20 episodes in.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Kabuto was pretty bad, probably my least favorite of the new batch of Kamen Rider shows. If you really want to get into Kamen Rider, Blade is a really good one to start with.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

i been watching gokaiger since release. liking it a lot and gai cracks me up. only kamen rider series i watched all of so far was decade. gonna try to watch through blade sometime and i started watching ooo.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaun View Post
    Kabuto was pretty bad, probably my least favorite of the new batch of Kamen Rider shows. If you really want to get into Kamen Rider, Blade is a really good one to start with.
    I used to love watching tokusatsu when I was a kid, Kamen Rider Black was my favorite, the whole RX being Americanized got me cringing so hard, then again it was a somewhat disappointing sequel to black to begin with, but I still enjoyed it until I saw what SABAN did to it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I used to love watching tokusatsu when I was a kid, Kamen Rider Black was my favorite, the whole RX being Americanized got me cringing so hard, then again it was a somewhat disappointing sequel to black to begin with, but I still enjoyed it until I saw what SABAN did to it.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It was bad enough what Saban did to Super Sentai, at least they eventually overcame it and put out some good seasons. Masked Rider was bad on so many levels that it made me rage/cry/punch kittens all at the same time.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

OOO ended today. Seems like it's one of those mixed feeling ending(terrible or okay).

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

First ep raw

HENSHIN

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So after watching the finale to OOO and thinking on it for a bit I decide to rank the Hesei era shows and hopefully spark a little discusion. Honestly it was very difficult to rank the middle third since they all had many things I liked and only a few negatives. I try to stay away from major spoilers, but sometimes it's hard so don't be mad if you read some.

Edit: Since I know you all care sooo much about what I think, I'm updating my ranking list with Fourze and Wizard.

1. Kamen Rider Blade
    Spoiler: show
    While I wasn't entirely pleased with the way that it ended, the overall story was very well done. I liked that there was much more focus on the individual riders and what drives them, and the interactions between them. The way the people acted in this show felt real, well as real as KR gets anway, and it really elevated the show.

2. The first two thirds of Kamen Rider Hibiki
    This show was such a change of pace for the franchise, and yes I know it's because it wasn't intended to be a KR show. That being said I loved the way it started out until executive meddling ruined it, but I'll talk more about that later. This is another character driven show, the driving force is the interactions between Hibiki and Asumu relationship that develops between them. The supporting characters are also well written and very interesting.

3. Kamen Rider Decade
    I figure I'll get people disagreeing with me on this one, but Decade is a celebration of everything KR, and I love it for that. Sure the story gets pretty whack at the end and in the movies, but it's all just so much fun. Tsukasa is a loveable jerkass, helped by the fact that he has a couple of great foils in Natsumi and Yusuke. While I wouldn't recommend it as an entry series into the franchise it is a great watch after you've seen most of the others. Also, I'm still all sorts of mayad that it was 15ish episodes shorts than the other series, I wanted it to go longer.

4. Kamen Rider Double
    This show ended up being much better than I thought it would. I really wasn't expecting much from the whole 2 people/1 Rider thing, but they made it work. It helped that Shotaro's half boiled-hard boiled detective gimmick worked for me, and that he was a very enjoyable lead. The story also came together nicely at the end and was a very satisfying conclusion.

5. Kamen Rider Fourze
    While the premise, suit design, and high school setting had me lukewarm at the beggining they really pulled off an amazing show here. Gentaro's boundless enthusiasm was able to make those things into strengths. Friendship overcomes all obstacles and makes for a fantastic show. Kamen Rider Meteor as an ersatz Bruce Lee was fun as well.

6. Kamen Rider Agito
    Agito did an amazing job of setting up a lot of the standards for the Heisei era, multiple riders and their interweaving story lines, great suit designs, etc. I liked that the rider involved were actually able to talk to each other and there wasn't a huge cluster fuck caused by people just not talking like we see in some other series. I would say that this is probably the best entry point for those not familiar with KR.

7. Kamen Rider Wizard
    The suit designs for this show was awesome, honestly some of my favorite ones in all of Kamen Rider. I'm very glad that the show was also good, Haruto made a fantastic lead and his desire to protect everyone made for a good theme. I also liked that there were more than two riders even if most of them didn't get to do much.

8. Kamen Rider Den-O
    I had such a hard time ranking this one. It's much more of a comedy than the other series which has it's pros and cons, and the story really took a long time to develop and was a little wtf~ish at points. That can be forgiven since the supporting cast was just so damn amazing, the imagin and the crew of the Denliner just make this show so much fun to watch. Obviously the series struck a cord with the Japanese public since they were making Den-O movies several years after the series ended.

9. Kamen Rider Ryuki
    I really wanted to like this series more than I did, but it just had a few too many downsides to it. The cast was a little too crowded and many riders didn't get enough screen time to really flesh them out, but the ones that did were really well done. The ending was a total downer ending even after
    Odin does his time warp and resets everything again.
    Still it does have it's high points, Kitaoka and Asakura were great as "evil" riders for example. The show was just a little too ambitious and couldn't quite do everything it wanted too.

10. Kamen Rider OOO
    If I was rating this on characters alone this would be my favorite series for one reason, CAKE BOSS! Seriously Kougami was fucking brilliant being completely over the top and a Large Ham in every scene he was in. Sadly there was more to this show than CAKE BOSS!, I had a hard time liking Hino as the main character, he's completely devoid of ambition or desire and an overall boring character. Before anyone complains, I know that was the point of his character to be the opposite of the Greeed who only have desires, but he was still boring. I also didn't care for the suit design and the idea of using the medals to create various combinations, it made for some seriously hideous looking costumes. Sadly not one of their better efforts.

11. Kamen Rider Kiva
    Another show I wanted to like more than I did. The dual timeline was interesting, and it was nice seeing how events 20 years ago set up the story in the present, but it also made things a bit schizophrenic. It also didn't help that the characters in the present were all written pretty poorly, none of them really had a consistent characterization and it made it hard to identify with them. Which is really strange since most of the characters from the past were written very well and had consistent characterization, with Otoya, Yuri, and Jiro all being fun to watch. By the end they do manage to get things straightened out, but it was still frustrating.

12. Kamen Rider Kuuga
    There was nothing really wrong with Kuuga, but nothing really that great about it either. I guess it did it's job since it led to the revival of the franchise, but it's pretty average overall.

13. Kamen Rider Faiz
    I was expecting a lot more out of Faiz but ultimately came away quite disappointed. The whole plot was a giant cluster fuck of people never talking to each other when that could have solved soooooooooo many problem, ugh. The suit designs were pretty sweet, and the Smart Brain girl was cute so that helps. Also it's easy to tell that they were actually trying with this show unlike with the ones I ranked below it.

14. The last third of Hibiki
    Executive meddling turned what was a fantastic show into utter shit in the space of about 3 episodes. For whatever reason they tried to retool this to be more like a traditional KR show and completely botched it. I hate watching these episodes because it's like watching some one you love die from cancer, aids, and alzheimer's all at the same time.

15. Kamen Rider Kabuto
    God this show was a complete mess/flaming train wreck. The main character was unlikeable in the extreme, a complete jerkass/god mode sue with no redeeming features. The story was a muddled disaster that the writers couldn't get to focus on anything. The suit designs were ok, and Punch Hopper and Kick Hopper were p.cool, but other than that I can't think of anything I liked about the show. I honestly can't recommend that anyone watch this giant steaming turd of a show.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God yes.

Female rider, movie only, teaming up with W & OOO with past riders(stronger, 1 & 2, etc) to fight Foundation X and Poseidon.

The mysterious Kamen Rider Poseidon appears and uses the Shark, Whale, and Bering Wolffish to transform but who created his Core Medals and what is his motivation on becoming a Rider? Also, how can Eiji fight this new Rider now that he doesn't have Core Medals or even Ankh to back him up?
    Kamen Rider Fourze's segment will be the story of Gentaro's first love. The madonna who steals his heart is a high school student called Nadeshiko Misaki. She seems to have the power to become a Kamen Rider. The important points here will be Nadeshiko's identity and what happens with Gentaro's first love.

The high school girl who appears in the Fourze part transforms into this Kamen Rider, who is like a Fourze rearranged for a lady. She has a sailor-suit style collar and solar panel ribbons. She has a belt like the Fourze Driver and can use the Rocket and Radar Switches in the ○ and □ sockets, but the × and △ sockets seem to be plugged. Who entrusted her with a Fourze System?
    Meanwhile in the Kamen Rider OOO segment, the mysterious boy Miharu transforms into this Kamen Rider. His belt has a design like 3 Core Medals, and his head, torso and legs have their corresponding colors. He has a design with a shark, a whale, and a Bering wolffish on his chest. This concept is reminiscent of OOO. Who created his Core Medals? What is his motivation? His true identity?

Suddenly, Poseidon challenges Eiji to a battle. Since Eiji cannot transform without Core Medals, Birth Prototype (Akira Date) fights instead, but....

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ok, that looks really cool.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Have you watched Kamen Rider: The First & The Next? Just finished The First and it was more of a love story with KR just slapped in it. Was boring.

Hope The Next is better since it has V3. Suit models were defiantly pretty cool, but neither said henshin.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No I haven't, I really need to though. I'm watching through Black right now (for the third time), love that show.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Finished Decade last night and just finished watching Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker and all I have to say is wow. Now I don't know if I should watch W next or go to the Movie War 2010 for the final Decade story and prologue of W. Movie War 2010 W part takes place between ep 14 & 15, so I may wait until I reach there to watch it.

I may just dl the HD version of the movies now because Dai-Shocker did look great in SD, but not 'that' great. Also the raw for OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders is out now.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I'm glad you enjoyed Decade, for some reason it gets a lot of hate. I would wait for to watch Movie War 2010 until you get to that point in W. It honestly won't make too much of a difference when you watch it, but I always like to watch things in the correct order so I'm not missing out on anything.

I'm glad to hear that the raw for Let's Go Kamen Riders is out, I can't wait to see that one.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I liked Decade because of the suit design and how much of an ass Diend was. The Shinkenger cross over was great too, still need to watch that. SABAN is supposed to be making Decade as Power Rider stateside next year because they have the cross over footage. Don't understand why because KR failed here and it wont help it.

Plus the Black and Black RX transforming together felt like an awesome moment to see. Need to watch those two someday. And I need to find subs for W...used TV-N for Decade.

ed: oh and the belt saying D-D-D-D-DECADE or another rider like H-H-H-H-HIBKI

ed2: that t-rex suit in ep2 of W is hilarious. would be laughing every time with it on if I was that suit actor

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

W: A to Z DC was amazing. Going to finish up the last remaining double episodes(45-49) tomorrow and start on the Eternal prequel movies. Along with the Accel one.

Super TaToBa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast