BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

lolign

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Good score at least even with its current shortcomings, that'll get patched eventually. I'm surprised at the lack of mentioning no online lobbies though. Does that mean Reverge got 3-6 player lobbies programmed in time?

I was under the impression it'd be 1-on-1 only on launch, which would look like an easy complaint for reviewers to pick on

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I was under the impression the game would have a training room and a move list built in. weren't they bragging about their tutorials a while ago? So I'm really surprised to hear that there is no in game move list. that's a huge turn off for me... i don't like having to go to an external site to look up moves, the basic ones should all be in the game

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Training mode/tutorials are definitely in. No movelist is inexcusable though, hope that's some sort of mistake.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Yeah that doesn't sound correct.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

That makes no sense for a game coming out in 2012.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well the wiki has the move lists up now

http://skullgirls.wikia.com/wiki/Characters

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

According to Mike Z, for the launch, it's 1on1 online only for now due to the team being unable to finish a particular online game mode, and that GGPO has no spectating support built-in, so that costed them extra development time. Apparently is related to the reason for them not having replay support in from the get go also.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Yeah it seems the no move list thing and no input display on training mode are true, they ran out of time since they were adjusting moves and things up until the last minute. The no move list thing doesn't bother me, between SRK Wiki and Dustloop it's easily accessible information, and Reverge will have a full movelist PDF available from their site. The lack of input display is a little more annoying though...I guess I'm okay with it though since it does have things like the hitstun decay meter and that's probably a better indication of where/why a combo is dropping than the input display.

Per Mike Z they're waiting to see how many dls sell before they decide if it's worth paying XBL/PSN for the hosting fees for a patch. I'm pretty certain it'll sell enough copies, not too worried about it atm as long as there aren't major system bug/balance issues.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I'm swamped w/finals being around the corner, but was still planning to buy the game because I am excited for it. But the lack of input display and in game move list really bothers me, especially with the statement of "we will see how well it sells before decided to patch it in or not." That shit is basic and the game should of never been released w/o that stuff. So, since I am already swamped w/school, I'm gonna pass until they get their head out of their ass.

Makes me feel like this is the XI of fighting games, where they make you look outside of the game for even simple shit

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Already on PSN, earliest store update I've ever fucking seen.

1.1gb download, a tad smaller than I was expecting.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No movelist is seriously insane. Like really, they couldn't throw together a menu with a list of characters and 8 .jpg files? I mean whatever I'm downloading it anyway but of all the things that could potentially alienate the casual market that's the last one I would expect to get through.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Can always grab the move-list PDF in the meantime -

http://skullgirls.com/guides/Skullgi..._EN_ARCADE.pdf
    http://skullgirls.com/guides/Skullgi...ide_EN_PS3.pdf
    http://skullgirls.com/guides/Skullgi...de_EN_X360.pdf

But yeah, it's kinda weird they didn't have even a basic TXT list ready within the game to make it through to the first patch.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I'm swamped w/finals being around the corner, but was still planning to buy the game because I am excited for it. But the lack of input display and in game move list really bothers me, especially with the statement of "we will see how well it sells before decided to patch it in or not." That shit is basic and the game should of never been released w/o that stuff. So, since I am already swamped w/school, I'm gonna pass until they get their head out of their ass.
    I think you're looking at it the wrong way, tbh. Yes input display is a very basic thing, but it still takes time to code. They had a finite amount of time, they could spend it putting in input display which every game has, or they could spend it coding brand new things that no other game has, which they did. Also HDR/3SOE were equivalently-priced downloadables, neither one has input display in training, and both are pretty inferior in terms of other options. Them saying we'll add more if we make enough money to warrant spending the man-hours and licensing fees is just normal business, it's not like they said "Input display is already in the code of the game, maybe we'll charge you to unlock it later" like Capcom did.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I think Katlan is looking at it the right way. Basically saying, "I won't pay for an incomplete/possibly inferior product." Isn't that what consumers are supposed to do? I mean, if your fighting game, as innovative, balanced and subjectively attractive as it might be, is missing features that are in Battle Fantasia... you've got a problem there.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I think that trading something that is really not even necessary(move lists) for something completely revolutionary(practically everything else about Skullgirls) is being nitpicky as fuck and just looking for an excuse to bitch on the internet, lol. Yes, it can turn off casual players, but the overwhelming majority of purchases for this game will be semi-serious players at the least who knew about it well before it showed up on either online marketplace, and can easily find the other forms of the information that are out there. It's not like you have to find some obscure eventhubs thread for the info.

If you told me I could buy a vacuum that worked twice as well as my current one, cost 1/4th of the price, but didn't come with a manual in the box, though the overwhelming majority of it's functions were operated in the same manner as every other vacuum made in the last 20 years and I could just to go to the manufacturer's official site to download a copy of it and if their small upstart company is profitable they'll improve in the future and have nicer manuals, and I turned that down; that wouldn't make me a savvy consumer, it'd make me an idiot.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Not like people look at move lists past day two with a character anyways. And like Calli said, the hitstun/decay meter is probably a better indicator of why combos drop. People are being way too nitpicky with this. The consumer angle is lame too. This isn't Capcom, it's an indie company with limited resources that went out of its way to tailor the game to the people who'll actually play it for more than a week.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

That and the tutorials will do infinitely more in terms of helping out new players than a movelist will, like I just said in chat, I don't think I've ever, ever paused the game to look at the ingame list rather than going to SRK/Dustloop wikis to begin with. Considering it's a downloadable game, it's a safe bet to assume that anyone playing has internet access, lol.

As far as the second point, yes, this game was mostly made by tournament players for tournament players. Play the game, if it's not phenomenal compared to any FG released in the last decade, fine I'm a dirty fanboy and you can shit on me all you like, but don't just armchair bitch without actually trying it. At the least, there's a free demo.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    lolign
    IGN's audience isn't just tournament players. If a game doesn't include beginner-friendly help like an in-game input display or movelist, it's a valid point for a review. Whether or not it is a dealbreaker is up to the individual purchaser and their background with fighting games. It would have been stupid to delay the game based on a lack of either feature if the others are polished enough.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Yeah that's the kind of weighing that is done on an individual basis, if someone had never, ever played a FG before I could see that being a concern, though things like a tutorial that actually teaches you to play defense is so much more important in terms of newbie accessibility that it obliterates the validity of the point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast