+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

Noobs tend to have noob friends, and the first time you sit your friend down on the couch to play a fighting game you aren't going to wait around for him to complete the tutorial. Like it or not, pause-menu move lists are huge to this market. If in spite of that Skullgirls succeeds on the merits of the niche they inhabit then more power to them.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Yeah that's a fair point, actually. The guy who got me into FGs in the first place is actually super-casual, we're going to sit down with SG this weekend though and hopefully I can get him to take them as seriously as I do.

edit: Though when I sit down with someone like him, usually we don't find pausing to look up moves acceptable either lol, we just play and figure out moves as we go. SG is very conventional, at the very least anyone with any passing interest in FGs ever knows things like qcf+p.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Currently doing the tutorials myself. Isn't anything so far that Blazblue doesn't already teach since CS.
    Spoiler: show
    Granted not having Rachel mocking me every step of the way in this is nice.

And lack of move list is annoying when you're running through the characters Calli. If it weren't for my laptop being on the same desk as my PS3 I'd have had to get the damn printer out. Played Cerebella for a minute assuming she'd be all 360 grabs like most grappler characters, but nope....

Also bad text layout in the Tutorials. Wouldn't have killed them to have an editor look at it and realize that using word-wrap w/ center align isn't a suitable solution to programming in line breaks so you can better organize the information.

[EDIT] Your characters also overlap onscreen tutorial information. Kinda annoying in this one tutorial where I'm stuck against a wall since they block all unneeded input.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I think only Cerebella's super is a 360, all of the other command grabs in the game are qc+throw afaik.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i kinda like the demo, but i'm apprehensive about paying for a game that's missing extremely basic features and might not even get patched should some kinda serious issues arise. plus i can already tell my experience with the game will be exactly like marvel: spend ages in training etc. developing combos and execution, start building confidence, then get completely slaughtered with zero hope of landing a single hit let alone putting up a decent fight.

i might still buy it next month, as i do really want to see the game succeed... but between all that and too much shit going on w/ school right now, i'm gonna pass for the time being.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

There is no way they can not pay to have a patch server open, that's just stupid thinking on their part. Idk how much they try to balance the game, people will break shit. It's inevitable. If enough broken stuff gets discovered and they refuse to pay for a patch server because some magical sales # wasn't hit, then the game will die faster than they can imagine.

Anyways, how is it? First impressions?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My first impression is that I can't decide what character I want to roll with, nor am I in the mindset to learn how to properly tag characters in for combing, so I've been doing solo for the past while. Been tinkering with Valentine and Filia mostly though, but I want to muck about with Cerebella more later tonight.

The gameplay itself is good, pretty much everything that isn't the gameplay feels a bit unpolished. Hopefully will be addressed with patches. I also can't figure out how to reset the stage on Training mode so both characters are centered in their starting positions which is annoying me.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Just a blind guess but try start + select

blax n gunz
    BG Level

live stream (spoilers!!)

http://www.twitch.tv/onemoregame

Spoiler: show
    single player mode vs the true final boss atm.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Just a blind guess but try start + select
    No dice. I really do hope they didn't forget to implement it...

Kinda liking Filia more now, she's got a decent mixup and a couple mobility options. Nothing I've seen combo-wise that demands high precision for decent damage so I'm happy.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Thulius Deorum
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Unsurprisingly, online is full of solo Cerebellas! If nothing else, expect to learn what is and isn't -1 or more on block during week 1.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

How's Parasoul? Can't get on XBL for another week and a half.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just got wrecked by a Ms. Fortune 9 games in a row until they took pity on me and left lol

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

She's interesting. Her walk is different from like...anyone ever lol, it's somewhat like Makoto but as her legs cross over each other there's an actual hitch where you stop moving forward for a brief pause. I just did PS3 demo for now but it's hot shit, dicking around with Filia for a few minutes led to a pretty solid combo that I made up out of thin air. The combo system allows for all kinds of freestyling, it's great. Music is great, game looks smooth as silk when it runs.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Shoutouts to the guy on the Skullgirls team that slipped in "Impossible to gauge!" as one of the Perfect win quotes.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

XBL version is up!

Started download before leaving for work, gonna be a long day.

Trigun

Can anyone confirm if/where DrSubZeros' laugh is in the game?

edit:
    Double Kill and High Damage combo
    anyone got a vid?

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

There's so many little audio easter eggs in the game, I love it.

The combo system isn't like...Marvel/BB/SFxTK chains, there's still some bit of timing, like you can't just ABC, have to wait for B to hit before you can go into C, but it feels great. Very fluid, lots of room to freestyle. I'll admit the no moves list thing was a tiny hindrance since my PS3 was hooked up to my TV and not my Asus monitor so I didn't have as easy of PC access as I normally do, that could be more of an issue for living room players. Still, in 10 minutes of lab time with the tools given I was able to determine Filia's best footsies moves and peg down a couple of solid BnBs without having to look anything up online.

My favorite was from P2 starting position to the corner: s.MP > s.HK(wallbounce) > cr.LK > s.MK > s.HP(launch) > j.MP > j.HP xx qcb+MK xx qcb+2K(wallbounce) > s.MK > srk+2P

2 meters for about 5700 damage, probably not optimal but considering that I'm 1) an average player and 2) had only been playing for 5 minutes it shows the intuitiveness of the system.

I had intended to run a 2-person team but I might go 3 just because there's assists I want to abuse, mainly I want to see if there's ways to use Valentine's poison-loading special as an assist mid-combo, continue the string, change to her at some point via DHC or such, and land her poison projectile. That or start a string on Valentine, use Cerebella's s.MP as the custom assist, call assist, load poison during s.MP stagger, and continue on into a combo using the projectile.

Still so many possibilities, hard to wrap my brain around them, but it feels nice to be on the ground floor of a game for a change instead of coming into it 3 years after release, or having it end up being SFxTK.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Hah, MS borked the 360 netplay, rough note to start on. I guess they missed a file that the game needs to check XBL for to initiate netplay, Reverge has put in the red flag to MS already but no ETA on it being fixed just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Hah, MS borked the 360 netplay, rough note to start on. I guess they missed a file that the game needs to check XBL for to initiate netplay, Reverge has put in the red flag to MS already but no ETA on it being fixed just yet.
    dammit, how does something like this get past testing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast