BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Not good enough for Sega obviously otherwise why would they cancel the sequel?
    There can be many true reasons, none known to us. The game sold well and the demand for a sequel was pretty strong until people gave up.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Not good enough for Sega obviously otherwise why would they cancel the sequel?
    Yeah this argument is kind of awful. Sega has no credit whatsoever when it comes to good business decisions.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I played the absolute shit out of PS3 bayonetta. had no issues with the game at all. Load times were a little meh but what's an extra 2 seconds? No big deal. To say it's unplayable is loads of dumbass.

I understand that because of nintendo we'll see another Bayonetta which is awesome and great. But it might as well not exist because I'm not spending money on a system that I have no interest in. And no, I'm not a nintendo hater or whatever the fuck you wanna say. Their systems just don't have the games I want. Or they only have 1 or two games and I can't justify spending money for 1 or 2 games.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Kk reopening.

It's ok to disagree, stop acting like children when you do.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    When games get ported to other consoles, a lot of time it get's a new publisher. That means nothing.
    It means a lot when that publisher is Nintendo. It's a little tough to reach all the way back to the 8-bit era, but I can't remember even a single time a Nintendo-published exclusive ended up on a competing platform.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    It means a lot when that publisher is Nintendo. It's a little tough to reach all the way back to the 8-bit era, but I can't remember even a single time a Nintendo-published exclusive ended up on a competing platform.
    It won't, same reason Mass Effect 1 is never gonna be seen outside the 360 on consoles because Microsoft published it. If it was a limited release for the WiiU first I don't think people would be as annoyed, but as it is now it's kind of silly considering where the game started and where it's shifting too exclusively, that doesn't happen alot anymore.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yup, there is no hope for bayonetta 2 on PS3/4/xbox360/nextbox. Oh well, back to DMC.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm not familiar with video game publishing at all so may be a dumb question.

Is it impossible for it to ever end up being published by someone else on different systems after being a timed exclusive on Wii-U?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: Bayonetta 2 WIIU EXCLUSIVE

Profound sadness

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    It won't, same reason Mass Effect 1 is never gonna be seen outside the 360 on consoles because Microsoft published it. If it was a limited release for the WiiU first I don't think people would be as annoyed, but as it is now it's kind of silly considering where the game started and where it's shifting too exclusively, that doesn't happen alot anymore.
    It's hard to say for 100% sure - there are a number of games that are console exclusive due to MS publishing them that still saw a PC release (though Platinum Studios hasn't done PC ports of the Sega published games, so that doesn't seem especially likely).

Another exception to the "rule" there would be Ninja Gaiden II, which was published by Microsoft on the 360 only to have Tecmo release it on PS3 as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. It would not surprise me to see another publisher pick up the game for an enhanced version on the next-gen machines. AFAIK, Nintendo is not paying for exclusives, so most of it would be stepping up to publish it after Sega cancelled it right?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You guys are correct, but you guys also aren't talking about Nintendo.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    The first Bayonetta sold over a million copies, close to 1.5 million worldwide, thats pretty good.
    Er, the budget was huge, 1.5m worldwide made it pretty much a shitty performer. The silver lining (kinda) is that Nintendo went bargain hunting for canceled IPs and probably spent less than half that getting Bayonetta 2 on its platform, so it needs to sell far less to make money on the deal. Sega gets cash, which it desperately needs. Platinum gets another game out, which it desperately needs.

Now we just need 2-3 more games of this nature on the WiiU and maybe Nintendo will win back the hearts and minds it discarded with the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    AFAIK, Nintendo is not paying for exclusives, so most of it would be stepping up to publish it after Sega cancelled it right?
    The indications are that Sega canned it after a certain % completion, which means that Nintendo is giving Sega the cash required to finish its publication while retaining the IP rights. Nobody's seen the contracts, but if Nintendo does all that and not get the exclusive in return, then they're terrible businessmen. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't run by terrible businessmen at this point.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    You're wrong #whatsnew

It might have been at start but it got patched and it was goooood.
    Now if only the frame-rate wasn't complete garbage. Where 360 would maintain near perfect 60fps, PS3 was struggling to maintain 30.

SEGA was mostly to blame on that one though. Partly Platinum Games' fault for outsourcing the port job also though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The indications are that Sega canned it after a certain % completion, which means that Nintendo is giving Sega the cash required to finish its publication while retaining the IP rights. Nobody's seen the contracts, but if Nintendo does all that and not get the exclusive in return, then they're terrible businessmen. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't run by terrible businessmen at this point.
    True, but it does depend on the contract they made. Iwata went on record a couple months ago saying that they wouldn't rule it out, but that they had no intention of laying down cash for exclusives (here).

There are plenty of games with different publishers in different regions, or exclusives that were only so for a limited period of time. Even having it as an exclusive until the next gen MS/Sony systems hit would still be a win for Nintendo. It'd be an easier assumption were it still Sega publishing and not first-party, of course, but as I mentioned, it's not entirely unheard of.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The games that remained "exclusive" to one console I can count on 1 hand I think this generation? (obviously not counting first or second party games) Most "exclusives" only lasted a year. So if it isn't showing a year later on another console, then Bayonneta is most likely fucked to 1 console. While I won't rule out buying a Wii U at some point, it isn't very likely and Bayonetta certainly won't be the game to make me go "omg for that I will buy the console!" even though I loved the first game.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Denmark Holland
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Seems to me like the game was getting close to being in the scrap pile and Nintendo came in and saved it for the exclusive, if that's the case then the PS3/brobox crowd still wouldn't get to play it. At least this way someone gets some enjoyment out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    True, but it does depend on the contract they made. Iwata went on record a couple months ago saying that they wouldn't rule it out, but that they had no intention of laying down cash for exclusives (here).

There are plenty of games with different publishers in different regions, or exclusives that were only so for a limited period of time. Even having it as an exclusive until the next gen MS/Sony systems hit would still be a win for Nintendo. It'd be an easier assumption were it still Sega publishing and not first-party, of course, but as I mentioned, it's not entirely unheard of.
    I'm thinking they didn't buy exclusive rights. The more I look at Hideki Kamiya the more it seems he really does not care for Sony (haven't found anything about MS yet, but hes Japanese so at best he's meh about them). So, I'm guessing he just put it on WiiU do them being willing to publish and having a system that can support the game now. I would imagine he would have preferred to have it on Wii too for Bayonetta 1, but the Wii couldn't do it without a huge compromise in graphics which was prob too much work/money for a new IP (and risky on a Nintendo system given the subject matter). Now he has a Nintendo machine that is trying to accept the more mature games and gamers, and it even outspecs all the competitors. There's probably no reason in his mind not to, especially when Nintendo will publish it.

Add in Iwata's comments about not paying for exclusives and I'm leaning to that being the explanation to all of this.

A taste of his opinions toward sony (only have small pieces of time while getting ready so couldn't dig for much atm; this was first hit):
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485438

Ridill
    BG Level

Platinum gets another game out, which it desperately needs.
    This not so much.
    That already have that WiiU exclusive PX100 game coming out as well as Revengeance

As far as people saying it might come to the other consoles later with a different publisher, when was the last time Nintendo gave up anything exclusive?
    Maybe there's some title I'm missing, but as far as I know, the answer is never.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    The games that remained "exclusive" to one console I can count on 1 hand I think this generation? (obviously not counting first or second party games)
    Obviously also not counting games on the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    This not so much.
    That already have that WiiU exclusive PX100 game coming out as well as Revengeance
    I was under the impression that Platinum is playing catchup after both Vanquish and Max Anarchy bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    This not so much.

As far as people saying it might come to the other consoles later with a different publisher, when was the last time Nintendo gave up anything exclusive?
    Maybe there's some title I'm missing, but as far as I know, the answer is never.
    I believe Tales of Graces for the Wii later was enhanced ported, and ofc the whole RE4 thing. The same happened with PS3 getting an enhanced Samurai Warriors 3. There's probably more that's just from looking at my game rack quickly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast