BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

JA0wait makes the animations look a little silly sometimes (because you're moving without your legs moving), but it really is the shit and should be a part of the game. Windower macros are just a straight improvement over game macros, because they swap potentially all of your gear in the same amount of time it takes the official client to swap one piece. Spellcast is a conditional crutch that lets you do more complicated things (like all the situational stuff in Yugl's XML), but it isn't actually *that* much of an improvement over regular windower scripts. Like, going from normal macros to Windower macros is probably ten times as important as going from well-made Windower macros to Spellcast.

Flee hacking and botting are pretty obvious problems with 3P Apps, but the latter one isn't really an issue anymore and the former one will be an issue as long as transportation takes time and SE doesn't ban for it. When I'm using Clipper, it's mostly for JA0wait and GMtool. There are times when I'll give myself 12% movement speed on Beastmaster despite not having done Salvage for Skadi Jambeaux, but that's about my limit. With 3P applications, you're always free to choose your involvement.

There may come a day when SE decides to ban for windower, clipper, guildwork client, or anything, but that day is not yet and when that day comes all my friends will be banned and the game's interface will have returned to the stone age, so there's no real point in playing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

I still have yet to upgrade to the spellcast, mainly because I am too lazy to learn the syntax and such. The windower macros work very well for me and I've written some scripts for little things like finishign my mules chocobo license quest while i went to sleep. The windower macros and tparty are about all that I use with that, even though windower is capable of far more than that. I would not, could not go back to 6 line macros.

Also about this clipper, I've been away for ages and haven't heard of it, but not having curelock sounds fucking incredible. Can anyone pm me a link about that?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Just to clarify, nothing can get rid of cure/animation lock that happens when getting hit/cured. ja0wait lets you move during self induced animation lock.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So long as I can use Windower macros and the little plugins like TParty, Alliance MP, Recast and Plasticsurgeon, i'll be fine.

Being on the test server and using the old macros has been flat painful. While I see the neat things as Spellcast being useful, I feel I can do most of what is asked of me and perform optimally without it.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    I still have yet to upgrade to the spellcast, mainly because I am too lazy to learn the syntax and such. The windower macros work very well for me and I've written some scripts for little things like finishign my mules chocobo license quest while i went to sleep. The windower macros and tparty are about all that I use with that, even though windower is capable of far more than that. I would not, could not go back to 6 line macros.

Also about this clipper, I've been away for ages and haven't heard of it, but not having curelock sounds fucking incredible. Can anyone pm me a link about that?
    It got shut down due to a cease and desist, gonna be funny watching people cry because its gone when the next update breaks current version lol.

Because it got nuked, and makes no sense without it:

"** The PS2 client operates at this frame rate."

So does everything else. The frame rate is capped across systems. It's part of the reason 10 year old hardware can play this game at more than 'max' settings.

"Do you understand what I am saying here? Or do I need to clarify it further? Because I am willing to do so if it is necesary to ensure you understand the issue here."

Everybody understands your issue. You toss around shit arguments at people, all of which get dealt with, so you make up more shit arguments to try supporting your case. Then you stand there with your hands on your ears yelling 'nahnahnahnahnahicanthearyounahnahna'. By all means keep it up. You're amusing.

And while you are, go look into a $60 laptop from 2006. It comes with everything you think you need to play the game, except your ps2 controller... which you already have. Anything else we're missing there, sport?

"Originally Posted by someotherguy - ... it's better to stand on your own opinions and experiences and acknowledgements."

Ah, I guess facts and logic have no place here. It all makes sense now.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Kinda, Half right half wrong, but its my fault for not explaining it right Dr. Armchair!

My hate for it is because its violating the ToS, or cheating, so to speak.

there really is no reason more, or no reason less. Maybe i should have been clearer in my above statement. The reason i don't use windower is because I'm afraid to get my account banned (yah...), If i had a chance to use clipper/Claim-bots/ApRadar/etc... I'd pass, Like i have in the past.

Those i pass not out of fear, But simply because I do not need them to enjoy the game. Windower is the only one i consider from time to time because of Script macros. But as it stands, I'm quite comfortable with the macro set up i have, And it works just fine for me.

But also as i said before, I can learn to get over it, and i am. What Starcade never learned is theres no point worrying about this so much. Its not our place to worry, and it'll just cause unneeded stress. So unlike him, I'm smart enough to stop caring.
    The problem with people and these programs is that they forget the relation of laws to legislatures in this game. The rules set forth are not through a democratic means. In SE's magical world, the three branches are unified under SE's power. Consequently, they can ignore the written regulations in favor of tradition without violating obligation. That is what it means to be under the rule of a dictator (Read it without negative connotations). The only restraints that they face are the inability to execute post facto rule, which explains why they might as well keep clauses against third party programs without exception. It is inconsistent to approach the game the same way you would RL regulations because it's not that the judge fails to carry out the will of legislature, it's that SE is both legislature and judge.

Whether Clipper's "fix bad designs" is a pointless argument because it really hinges on what constitutes bad game design and neither side will be correct since there is no "truth" when it comes to good or bad game design. There are realities such as X% of the population revoking a particular feature, but there aren't internal (As opposed to external; in relation with others) properties that constitute good or bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    It got shut down due to a cease and desist, gonna be funny watching people cry because its gone when the next update breaks current version lol.
    You'll be one of those people!

This is all incorrect and has less to do with jobs capabilities and the dev team and more to do with the playerbase. SCH and RDM are not made to replace WHM if it isnt there. They are not healers. They are hybrids with RDM having more melee/enfeeble focus and SCH being more casting focused. SCH has decently capable nukes and can increase their accuracy with abilities, less mp cost, and some fast cast. Yes I know someone earlier mentioned how they hate books used as a reason but that is your unique ability, learn to use it more effectively and you can make up for "short comings" RDM just has never been allowed to melee...ever it is the only job that can have room to really complain, especially with the decision to give it high enhancing skill and not giving it unique buffs or AoE pro/shell.

If you need a tank you do not pick THF unless the mob is easy and does mostly physical attacks, if it nukes a THF is dead. It does not have the shadows or higher INT of NIN to block those and cannot enfeeble or use /DNC the same way to survive. WAR has the ability to use MANY weapon types and off tank, playerbase won't allow that. DRK's have just stopped using their magic completely and have the advantage to SC and MB....something people just rarely do anymore, it can also enfeeble and absorb attributes but doesn't, again playerbase fault.

When I start seeing more SCH's use their books and helix spells to boost their skills then maybe I can understand the want for more, but few do. However I agree with the idea of RDM getting more unique and AoE buffs or a buff/heal and giving SCH a super heal helix cool thing instead of Cure V.
    What I got from this:
    1. Focalization is worth using
    2. RDM is a melee class
    3. The problem with DRK is that they don't enfeeble/SC/MB
    4. Pchan MDT mechanics
    5. THF can't take nukes
    6. WAR can tank though even though they have less INT than THF who can't tank because NIN has higher INT...
    7. RDM can complain about not having Unique/AOE buffs, but SCH cannot since RDM and SCH have the same enhancing skill (When SCH uses light arts)
    8. SCH shouldn't heal; it should just have all those cast mechanics that are inferior to Elemental Celerity/Divine Benison so that it can cast helix spells
    9. Books and helixes boost SCH's "skills"

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    You'll be one of those people!
    Nope lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The first stage is denial!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

I'm generally quite generous, I wait in line for NMs, I ask how many they have left and wait and I don't take wiped NMs unless it completely resets and starts pathing back to it's ???.

But the second someone does something to intentionally fuck me over, or jeopardise my cleave pulls then It's game on.

For example some guy diaga'd my cleave, so the rest of my group kept cleaving his pulls until he warped off, don't fuck people over and not expect it back.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    To be fair I'm hoping the lvl 99 staffs to even out, everyone has always complained abuot carrying 8 staffs, if you play blm and smn now you have to carry 16. (not to mention build 16)
    No I agree 100%. But it's a melee staff, not a mage staff, and it was kind of obvious from the start. I'd like to see us be able to fuse the staves together (either by name or by stats) at 99, but I don't want to see the Hvergelmir become a mage staff just because of that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I hate people who bot/use clipper/etc. Like, Vehemently. I won't refuse to associate with them or make angry blog posts or freak out at them... But i hate it, and i hate that today in FFXI probably 80% of the population uses Claim Bots and Clipper.

I Don't mind the stuff like windower, but i also find myself disturbed i almost agree with starcades first couple paragraphs (not the psychotic Illuminati conspiracy bullshit), if you don't use windower, you can be ridiculed... and not using Clipper/Claim bots puts you at a significant disadvantage.
    Same. I can't stand botting and hacking. But whatever, it's their game. As long as they don't insult me for playing the old fashioned legit way (which they do but I shrug it off), then I don't really pay mind to it. It is just a video game after all, and there are other things in life I'd rather save my aggression for.

I use windower for a few reasons. One of the reasons was so that I could see Instant Messages and Firefox while still playing. I use my laptop now for those things because my computer is so slow, but that was the most important reason I got it. Second is the official windower was incredibly laggy for me and half the time wouldn't let my controller function right. The third reason is PlasticSurgeon, the only plugin I use. Before I made my male character it was an absolute necessity that I had something better to look at than my ugly character, but now, it's just refreshing to look at something different for a little while. A bonus is the light up function as I can't hardly see the game sometimes on my old monitor.

Aside from that, I don't use anything special. I took all the additional plugins out of the folder and turned them off from start up. The macros suck in game, but, I make due.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    The only restraints that they face are the inability to execute post facto rule, which explains why they might as well keep clauses against third party programs without exception. It is inconsistent to approach the game the same way you would RL regulations because it's not that the judge fails to carry out the will of legislature, it's that SE is both legislature and judge.

Whether Clipper's "fix bad designs" is a pointless argument because it really hinges on what constitutes bad game design and neither side will be correct since there is no "truth" when it comes to good or bad game design.
    To be entirely honest, I cannot understand what you were trying to say with these two paragraphs, but I do believe you're stating that approaching the game with a "spirit of the law mindset" is impossible. How so?

To provide a personal example, in-game, I use Clipper for JA0Wait and to avoid collision detection; in reality, I stop at and then go through red lights when I'm in the middle of nowhere and it refuses to change. Both are examples of poor design decisions, as one is an entirely unnecessary effect (collision that would be realistic if it were retained, but since you can ultimately pass through the objects anyway, it serves no purpose whatsoever), and one is poorly programmed (as the light is red when it should not be, and for longer than it should be regardless).

To say that whether game design is good or bad is simply subjective is flawed, as while opinions are taken into account, overwhelming votes of approval or disapproval indicate whether the product is quality or garbage. Furthermore, and going back to the collision detection issue, if the decision does not make sense within the context of the game nor does it contribute to a more enjoyable gaming experience, it is a poor choice—simple as that. This is not a matter of opinion. What does collision detection do? Well, if it was supposed to represent your running into a solid physical object in-game, that would be one thing—but since the collision gives way after mere moments, it is absolutely pointless. It is unrealistic both within the context of the game world and when compared to reality, and only serves to hinder. That, by definition, is a poor design choice.

Likewise, JA locks and other animation-related issues are an example of style over substance, a malady Square-Enix has suffered from for ages now. While I'm certainly grateful that "Final Fantasy XI" doesn't resemble the playable Saturday morning cartoon animated by people with Downs—otherwise known as "World of Warcraft"—I'm unappreciative of its unnecessary delays, which can't even be excused within the context of an MMORPG. And while I'm certain you'll find people who vehemently discourage the use of Clipper for eliminating said collision detection and JA waiting periods, I doubt any of them—unless they're fooling themselves—will say they actually like the delays.

When the vast majority disapprove, and a solid positive defense cannot be formed, the design choice is a poor one. It's as simple as that.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

My post is irrelevant to the spirit v letter of the law debate. I posit that people against programs have failed to recognize the power structure at work. If SE wants to informally make programs acceptable, they are free to do so without offense to any obligations people may hold them to (Preposition). It is not like the US or other modern political systems that divide legislative and judicial power. The only limiting factor is retroactive punishment, which from a political-power perspective, is why they're best off making a ton of rules and then informally allowing people to break them. It's easiest imagined if you consider SE a dictator (Again, without negative connotation). If SE wants to allow people to participate in actions that violate what is written in the book, then they are free to do so. They hold no obligation enforce these rules.

It's easier to understand if you are familiar with jurisprudence, but one field of thought (Not one that I advocate or believe is true of the US system; Hugo Black's judicial philosophy) argues that courts should be "automatic" in that there are rules, the judge compares the circumstances to those rules, and issues a judgment. Thus, it would be frowned upon if a judge were to circumvent these laws and order a sentence outside the scope of those laws. Why is this "bad"? Democratic principles aside, it undermines the will and authority of the legislature. However, if you compare the scenario to this one, the will and the authority of the legislature is one in the same as the judge's: It's SE's. Moreover, these rules are obviously not "democratically" sanctioned. Hence, there is no principled conflict if SE decides to ignore the use of certain third party programs.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Proof on the cease and desist thing?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...724#post190724

Get your pens and paper ready kids! Analhelm is teaching us gewd investing!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s.../waryellow.png

Warriors can proc yellow with their polearm? I hope she meant proc red... or maybe meant yellow with ninja sub?

I'm also a bit confused at the end about if all jobs were given procs, then bringing a full alliance would mean less procs.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Low-hanging fruit, but...

Get your vocabulary straight, otherwise you just sound ignorant of the game
    could the war have proc'd yellow with his polearm skill
    Probably just a slip up but it amused me. I never found a problem with the interchanging of guild/linkshell and job/class either, people know what you mean and it seems like a silly thing to nitpick over.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I had to close out and get away from that shit for a while. It's rotting my brain.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...724#post190724

Get your pens and paper ready kids! Analhelm is teaching us gewd investing!
    That idiot gives me headaches D:

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast