• Rainbow Dash

39 23.08%
  • Pinkie Pie

20 11.83%
  • Rarity

20 11.83%
Closed Thread
Page 73 of 190 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
    Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Song remixes hitting YT ^^
    This fanbase never ceases to amaze me with how fast they are.

BG Level

Another bit by MrPoniator

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/0...n-meaning.html

Daniel Ingram is one sneaky musician! This was going to be in the episode followup, but I figured I'd split it off since so many of you are sending it.

Apparently a neat little inside joke was placed into the Cadance song. Kwulhu over on Reddit did what bronies do best: analyze the hell out of something. What he found was actually really neat! Have his quote:

There was actually a double meaning in the song. The song is in the key of Db Major (just like winter wrap up!) . That means that the root chord is a Db major chord. Usually, a Ab major chord will lead into a Db major. This is the V-I chord progression and it is also known as the Authentic Cadence (stick with me here). Now, it seems to resolve to a sadder chord at the end of the phrase. Instead of ending on Db major around 1:16, it lands on Bb minor: the relative minor of Db major. Now, when a chord progression seems to be heading to the root chord but lands on the relative minor instead, that is called a...
    Deceptive Cadence
    Also worth noting, listen to how Twilight sings the last "forever" in the song. Her little cadenza (I am seriously not making these words up) quotes the opening notes of the theme song

Later on, Daniel actually confirms it.

I wonder what else he has snuck into our favorite pony tracks?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Oh man that's awesome. Music nerds ftw!

BG Level

I don't know anything about music, so it went over my head. All I got out of it was "Deceptive Cadence" xD

I hope Ingram releases the songs to. I'd like Love is in Blossom with just the singing vocals/music and no background noise, voice, etc.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

from the comments of the reddit thread:
    lifebinder
    Know what'll really blow your mind? A cadenza, in music, is often a point where accompaniment (often a symphony or chorus) will pause while a soloist shows off their virtuoso talent. As soloists are often guests, the "main stars" take a back seat to a temporary performer.
    Which is EXACTLY what happened in the episode!
    yingkaixing
    Here's the definition I saw: "An elaborate flourish or showy solo passage, sometimes improvised, introduced near the end of an aria or a movement of a concerto." Everything about that applies to NegaCadence: she's snobbish and showy, it's an improvised deception, and it happens at the end of the season.
    lifebinder
    It can, in a way, also apply to Authentic Cadence: Celestia is beaten, the Mane 6 (obviously the stars) cant defeat her. Only Authentic Cadence and Shining Armor can save the day, with a "tour de force" of duet magic, right at the end of the show. I'd say that'd also count as a cadenza.
    music nerds ftw xD

BG Level

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2190...She-Dreamed-of

This fandom works pretty goddamn fast. There's a huge shitstorm on FIM Fiction over fanfic writers giving Chrysalis the "Discord Treatment." Kind of ironic when this is the same fanbase that can believe Pinke is a serial killer, Fluttershy was abused as a filly, Applejack and Big Mac are Applebloom's parents, RD is gay/bi, Twilight Sparkle is groomed to be a living weapon, and Princess Celestia is a troll, evil tyrant, and a molester. Fanfiction can be interpreted any way you like whether you're an author or a reader, but it's way too early for this shit.

BG Level

I'm not a huge Fanfic nut so... what is the "Discord Treatment?"

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I'm not a huge Fanfic nut so... what is the "Discord Treatment?"
    It's an angle that a lot of fanfic writers take by turning a villain that wasn't really evil into a misguided soul. It works for Discord because, he wasn't exactly trying to kill or hurt anyone. (at least on screen) They're trying to portray Chrysalis as this tragic soul incapable of love or some bullshit like that. To each their own, I sure as hell won't be reading it.

BG Level

Ah. I agree to each their own, but /facepalm @ the shitstorm. It's about as bad as when people were arguing over Vinyl's eye color.

Also:

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Vinyl's eye color issue is nothing compared to the other crap people (still) argue/butthurt about. I love the fandom as much as I hate it, it brings the best and worst out of everyone.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It'll blow over. They have a solid recurring villain to use now should they use her as such. That pic comparing her to Scar from The Lion King is spot on. I could go on about it, but the one's who are trying to warp her into anything but malice incarnate are misguided. They're MLP's Vampires, it's probably best to ignore fiction about them.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's best to ignore 99% of all fan fiction.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    It'll blow over. They have a solid recurring villain to use now should they use her as such. That pic comparing her to Scar from The Lion King is spot on. I could go on about it, but the one's who are trying to warp her into anything but malice incarnate are misguided. They're MLP's Vampires, it's probably best to ignore fiction about them.
    I just watched The Lion King with my son last week and I still missed that connection with the pic, thanks for pointing it out. I totally agree with you on Chrysalis and the changelings, they're basically Neutral Evil monsters that should be seen and written as such. But there is a well known author that's going to do an epic story including them. If he wasn't doing fanfics, he'd probably be a writer for the show, his stuff is that good and keeps with MLP cannon.

Speaking of fan work, here's the long awaited episode 5 of Doctor Whooves and Assistant:

BG Level

Oh how I love Tumblr:
    http://discorderlyconduct.tumblr.com...-is-best-queen

Discord is still the king of trolls.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    I just watched The Lion King with my son last week and I still missed that connection with the pic, thanks for pointing it out. I totally agree with you on Chrysalis and the changelings, they're basically Neutral Evil monsters that should be seen and written as such. But there is a well known author that's going to do an epic story including them. If he wasn't doing fanfics, he'd probably be a writer for the show, his stuff is that good and keeps with MLP cannon.
    Neutral evil is more aligned to this universe , and doesn't wear thin as quickly as dischord would should he appear more than once a season. Makes for a good recurring villain, which is what I see them becoming. If (god forbid) they started a story arc across the season the changelings would be perfect for it. Chrysalis' shots in "This Day" aped Scar's "Be Prepared" (The lion king), either accidentally or intentionally. I'm willing to bed the latter, since the series is riddled with Disney homages.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yea, neutral evil is pretty commonplace in the MLP universe. Trixie, Chrysalis, and Gilda fit the role pretty well. Discord however, I've seen as chaotic evil, or if you want to stretch it, chaotic neutral. Not saying he wasn't a villain, but more about spreading chaos than doing anything evil. It was more about spreading his vision of what the world should be like than opposing anyone.
    A ton of people pointed out how the changelings got scattered all over Equestria. I wouldn't be surprised if they came back to start off season 3, it'd be fucking epic. But not going to get my hopes up. But at this point, if they're capable of making such an awesome villain, we can look forward to something even better. I'm even wondering if Hasbro still owns the rights to the villains in G1, it'd be pretty awesome to see how they'd be portrayed in the FIM universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    But seriously:
    Spoiler: show
    Did anyone get that series finale feel? I know season 3 is already announced and all, but it felt like that could have easily been the end. Also, I was starting to think that NotCadence was Trixie in disguise, she even started to sound like her while she was singing.
    Because they're the same voice actor.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You could make the case either way for Chaotic evil or neutral.

There's a lot of times when thinking about characters in the show that I have to stop and remind myself this is a show for little girls at its core. It takes some of the fun out of guessing games about the show, but keeps me from getting too deep with theories.