+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The only ones that get anything out of a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. If you think you are legitimately affected by what the suit is about, think twice before you sign anything. I believe that when you join them, you are signing away any future lawsuits against the defendant. Don't settle for $20 bucks if you think the owe you $20k.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The thing is, a majority of the people getting "free" checks in the mail weren't actually damaged in any way (like myself). In my case, I didn't give a shit about the exaggerated job placement statistics. It wasn't even part of the reason I enrolled where I did because they didn't lie about them until I was already there. So, I signed up anyways, basically saying: "yeah, I would have dropped out if I knew the graduate hire rate was lower than it was!" Which was total bullshit... which they called me out on. However, I appealed said decision simply by sticking my signature on a piece of paper, and bam, I was $400 richer ($400 less in debt?). The funny thing is, my girlfriend at the time was in the same boat, but she actually enrolled after the shady activity, and she was rewarded significantly less than I was. I have no idea why that would be.

Also, the "don't settle for X if you think they hurt you by more than that..." Good luck taking a school to court just for your individual proposed damages. People sign these things even with that in mind because it's a lawsuit that's actually happening with or without them, it takes zero effort to claim a small piece of that pie and spending months in court and spending assloads of legal fees to fight back a year of tuition isn't something most people have any interest in attempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    The only ones that get anything out of a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. If you think you are legitimately affected by what the suit is about, think twice before you sign anything. I believe that when you join them, you are signing away any future lawsuits against the defendant. Don't settle for $20 bucks if you think the owe you $20k.
    I don't believe i'll get a nickle out of any of this shit, but if it helps wipe away the made up debt they claim I owe them, then all the better for me. I refuse to pay them money for classes I never took.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Also, the "don't settle for X if you think they hurt you by more than that..." Good luck taking a school to court just for your individual proposed damages. People sign these things even with that in mind because it's a lawsuit that's actually happening with or without them, it takes zero effort to claim a small piece of that pie and spending months in court and spending assloads of legal fees to fight back a year of tuition isn't something most people have any interest in attempting.
    I get that. I was thinking more in generalities. Like say a defective product that caused some sort of bodily harm to you. Joining the class action will unlikely pay the medical costs. But if it is something you knew nothing about or wouldn't even bother with, then hey, free money.

The corporations that run these schools are terrible.

The DoE instituted a lot of new regulations earlier in the year so my company rolled out a new comp plan. Basically my position, which has more pressure than any as i'm a manager but have a full enrollment budget so less time but more production expected took a 500$/mo pay cut. Yeah, no warning either it went into effect on June 23rd and I didn't find out until July 12th or so. No warning, no hint so I could adjust my finances and budgeting.

While doing that they made it so raises were based on tenure, so after you've been there for 5-6 months your salary goes from 35k > 42k. After your 2nd year you go to 45k, next year 50k and after that you simply get 2.5% yearly adjustments. While you're salaray is getting bumped based on "tenure" your production requirements also increase out of the realm of possibility so once you reach that 45/50k you're almost guaranteed to get fired so that they can hire someone new with the promise of that 7k raise after 5-6 months.

Shits retarded and I hate working there but it's not exactly like jobs are falling off tree's paying 40-50k salaries to people with psych degrees.

Been talking with people through email about a lawsuit for this stuff. From what people are telling me, the fact that AiO took my stafford Loans and sent them back, without asking me or sending me the money, is against the law as they can't do whatever they want with my money. I was auditing my statement for the college and how much they were charging me..it comes out to almost 1,300$ per credit hour for the classes I took, not to mention the lab fees they charged (even though it was online classes) and fees made against me for things like "books/supplies", which I never received any books or supplies from the college... and "Computer literacy" and "speech" charges, I never took a computer literacy or speech class. All in all I took 9 courses at the college before I wised the fuck up and caught on to what was going on..and they charged me around 33,000$ for that 1 yr of 9 classes.

Pharmacy Tech grad here from Sanford Brown Institute. My first post made on BG was asking for advice when I was scraping every penny I had towards, inevitably, never getting placed into a FT position, not even for pill counter/bag-boy at a CVS lol

There's been talks of a Class Action happening for awhile, but I haven't received any notices yet. I hope all these shitty cash farms get it good. Not only are the students cheated with bold-face lies, but, some of the teachers are actually worth a shit and were taken advantage of as they were forced into teaching long hours and low pay due to the "school" stretching out the staff.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, it's incredibly sad to see such enthusiastic, skilled, and caring teachers sitting at these places, just shaking their heads about the inevitable crashing and burning the corporations are doing to these schools, taking the staff and the students' money down with them. I have met so many great instructors at my school, none of which were happy about how things were going since the school was bought.

From the write up on the lawsuit, it said that these types of colleges only have like 12% of the total college population for students, yet they take in like 25%+ of the money given out by the government for college education. They also apparently have psych profiles on their potential students that they write up, so that way they can sales pitch you the school better and pray on what might be going on in your life.

I clean, I jerk, and I have a decent snatch.
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There was a class action lawsuit against Apple a couple years back because of the first generation iPod nano had a shiny surface that scratched easily or something else retarded. I had registered my iPod with Apple when i got it (birthday gift), then when that CAL came out, I got a little form in the mail. Filled it out and a year later I got a check in the mail for $37.50

"Hey sweet, gas money for the week".

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Speaking of class action lawsuits, Reebok just got popped for $25 million for their "EasyTone" line of wobbly shoes. All you have to do is fill out this form, and chances are they won't even ask for proof of purchase (and of course, if they ask, you just say you didn't keep the receipt).

Now, I'm not a broke-ass motherfucker that needs to rip off Reebok for a hundred bucks, but I know y'all are, so...

https://cert.gardencitygroup.com/rbk/fs/ftc-1

Have fun!

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

You should PM this to cream soda so he can have food money for the next 3 months.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

HOW DO I JOIN THE LAWSUIT I ATTEND THE SCHOOL NOW.