+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The DS version was a bit harder than the original as well. There are quite a few cheap attacks, especially towards the end lol (dragons on the moon).
    Was the GBA version based on the original or the "easy type"?
    Also the sprite emotions weren't used that much in FF3 and 4. They started doing them in V and VI.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

The only bullshit in the DS versions were those fucking enemies that did elemental breath attacks and killed your entire party if they got 2 consecutive turns in a row. I personally thought it was vastly better than the original though. The new skill system (name slips my mind) was pretty breakable, but it made it far more enjoyable to dick around with.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    What.

IVDS had more animation, cutscenes and voice acting.

You're insane.
    And still that isn't necessarily a good thing.
    The 3D animation was decent, but stiff. The graphics were pathetic for a 3D foray. Call me a graphicwhore, but if you're going to remake something in 3D you might as well go one extra mile to make it look good. DS 3D simply doesn't. Gameplay could have been less clunky. It just lacked the polish of a modern FF release.

The only thing I did think made the game better would have been the voice acting, but when you've played the game without it, you know the difference it makes to how the game feels. It's like reading a book and then watching the movie. Just because the game now has sound and voice it doesn't necessarily make it better - no matter how faithful it is to the original.

It's nice to want things, but your needs from a remake are not everyone else's. By the time IV DS had come out the world had seen multiple re-releases on the GBA, PS1, Wonderswan, etc. If what you wanted was something in between the GBA version and what we got on the DS then you should probably re-examine what it takes to please you, because it strikes me that you'd pick at any perceived defect and call it a failure.
    And I can say the same of the stuff I bolded in the opposite context. Peoples' needs from a remake vary. I am well aware that FFIV has be remade multiple times and each iteration has its pros and cons. Up to the point where the DS version was released, I would actually agree that the DS version was actually the overall superior remake.
    It had new FMV intros, a redone OST, and voice acting, stuff which the prior ports didn't have - but these were what it lacked in faithfulness to the original feel of the game, for which the GBA release would have been the best at - but the GBA one was technically inferior in all other aspects.

Then comes along the PSP version, which truly is the definitive modern version of FF4, because it combines both technical and familial superiority into one release. I too was a huge skeptic of the PSP version when they decided to go 2D for FFIV for a later rerelease of the game instead of 3D since they already had it done before. But after playing it, I could easily understand the decision.

It just felt more like FF4 than the 3D one. And it was then that I realized how much of the feel of the original game was lost simply from it changing from 2D to 3D. Of course, FFX will never have this problem because its likely that nothing radical is going to change.
    Call it nostalgia, but that is precisely what is getting people to play FF remakes to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    I guess since its ported to xbawx the hardest part is already done? Not too hard I guess.

Control wise it'd be pretty awkward though.
    Well as long as there is gamepad support, all is good (well for people with gamepads.)

Though for keyboards controls - The Last Remnant (SE game PC version) had good controls for the PC IMO (keyboard only though with small mouse support).

What they did was split a lot of the buttons to multiple keys. In the Xbox 360 version you'd have 6 or so buttons for everything but in the PC (by default) they bound 15 or so different keys to different things. Well it worked out really well and I actually preferred using the keyboard over the controller.

Only major difference between FF13 and TLR is probably the camera controls (well the camera movement, FF13's camera moves differently) but for the most part I think controls should be fine even when limited to keyboard (since it worked so well for TLR IMO.)

A straight port of the 360 version probably wouldn't consume a lot of resources but it did come at the price of being backported to the modified version of DirectX 9 that the 360 supports. It would be additional developer time/resources to bring all the high res textures back into the game as well if they cared enough to do it. The PC JRPG market isn't exactly huge and FFXIV is on indefinite life support so I don't foresee a lot of movement from SE to reach out in that direction again anytime soon.
    Hmm I see. Though the while the PC JRPG isn't huge atm, an FF game could bring in new fans to the genre (that is PC only gamers itching for something new.)

Though FF13 may not be the best game (maybe FF13-2 since it's less linear? Might be silly to release a sequel first but SE did say it could be enjoyed/understood without playing the first) but still I think it'd be nice if SE moves to PC territory soon.

Also the pluses on the PC is the "small potential" for modding (well just memory editing unfortunately. The Last Remnant was barely modifiable at all [you could use a trainer or cheat engine to edit the memory. A decent amount of stuff was figured out for TLR like the character and ability IDs so you could edit which character had what abilities even if they wouldn't normally learn it]) First thing I'd do with is give Hecatoncheir the Curaga spell because for some reason I do not understand why he's the only summon which lacks the ability >.<.

But yeah overall I think more FFs on PC would be nice. I guess they could start by somehow fixing the PC version of FF7 and FF8 for modern computers (assuming fixing FF7 is easier than porting FF13? I remember hearing it was hard for some reason) and release it on Steam or something to see how it goes.

Just saw this thread, and fuck yeah if it comes to handheld.

I bought 7, 8, and 9 from the PSN just to play on my PSP. It was actually the first time I ever finished FFVII.

But I'm with other posters who commented on X and X-2 and their international versions. I always felt left out by being a NA consumer.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

During the weekend's Taipei Game Show, 1st Production Department producer Shinji Hashimoto was asked by local media if FFX is a remake or a remaster. He responded that it is the latter. "Remaster" refers to HD updates like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus rather than full remakes.
    Source: http://andriasang.com/comzvd/x_is_next/

So it looks like the early information was sorta wrong that FFX was going to be a remake. Maybe now people will stop bitching about how FFX is getting all the love lol.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

People honestly thought they were going to "remake" a game as recent as FFX?

wat

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe not remake, because there's really not much need for that, but at least add some content/upgrade some stuff. That would be nice :<

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I thought it was obvious that it was the latter.
    Wish they showed a bit of it tho

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Maybe not remake, because there's really not much need for that, but at least add some content/upgrade some stuff. That would be nice :<
    It would be pretty retarded if they ported this to the Vita and didn't include the dark Aeons and whatever else the International version added.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm EU so wasn't even thinking about that I meant even more content or at least some gameplay upgrades (dunno what that could be though)

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

They are not gonna do more content. HD remasters almost never do. I will settle for the international version stuff though.

I can't believe anyone actually thought FFX was being remade.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    They are not gonna do more content. HD remasters almost never do. I will settle for the international version stuff though.

I can't believe anyone actually thought FFX was being remade.
    It was being reported as a remake.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Thus, anyone with a brain should have been able to recognize that as a mistake, typo, or complete bullshit. If anything was going to be "remade," it would be a title that landed before voice acting became standard.

On the topic of additional content... I don't think it would be necessarily difficult to add a few more endgame-y and difficult things to do, and they really should be considering it to help resell the ported title to people who already played it. With how much of a boner they got for DLC in XIII-2, I imagine this has crossed their mind.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

That's where the technicalities come in. The whole remake debate has been used on ports and remasters. They're all technically remakes but of varying degrees, because none of them are exactly true to the original.

But what is clear is this isn't going to be a full remake, and I don't think anyone was honestly expecting that.
    I think apart from cleaned up in-game graphics and brightened up HD environs we should be looking at new or HD remastered FMVs. The FMVs in X were no longer hand drawn and used the technology they employed for Spirits Within so I think they could go back to it and scale it up or building from scratch might be easier.

Hopefully theyll change the lip movement to sync better, and maybe remaster some of the voice acting used. This may be a bit of a longshot.

And whilst I don't care that much if they include international content, it's a bonus as long as they stick to the old damage numbers font instead of the hideous one they used in Intl..

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Sorry for the bump just trying to get some hopes up
    [link deleted]
    Now flame away since I didn't give dates or anything

inb4 FFX HD is the new versus

It's sooo veiny

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

FFX Vita/Ps3 port

Not cool bro, not cool.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So I was meaning to play FFX again but held off last year when the announcement came. Fuck it, I'm just gonna go ahead and replay, doesn't look like this is coming anytime soon.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Yep, popped FFX International into my PCSX2.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Hey theres an idea. I've never played FFX International. Gonna do that one this time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast