Odin

I look forward to Sakuran goodness.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Anyone else have Steam seem like it takes awhile to load up whenever you click AE since the steam update? It's also freezing my FFXI on start up which it never did before.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Glad I bought AE when I did.

Another important date: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition ver. 2012 will be available on December 13th. The free patch rebalances the entire game, "making it feel like a new game."
    From the link in the SFxT thread. Looks like I will be learning the game, then finally be decent when it hits. I am prepared.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Leb View Post
    Looks like I will be learning the game, then finally be decent when it hits. I am prepared.
    not really, you're going to have to relearn a lot. reallllly big changes are happening.

i did the same thing from super-> ae, and all the shit i learned was gone in AE

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well, I meant the basics, at least. I know I'll be relearning stuff by then, but hey, least I'll be further into the game then I am now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dunno if Leb played vanilla, but just learning the mechanics of the game will be helpful. FACD, chains, links, footsies, etc.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Nope, I did not. Which is why I'm glad I'm getting it before a major patch hits so I can learn those things.

Also, it'll be here tomorrow so I was wondering should I stick with a basic character to learn the game or just find one that I have a feel for? Been looking at Rufus more then anything, he just looks like great fun.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

If you're just gonna fuck around play w/ w/e character you get the feel for. If you are semi serious about it, check out the tier list to at least know where your favourite character stands vs the others. E.G., let's assume you chose Hakan for some reason and although you've spent time practicing w/e combos he has you still get owned. The list more or less will answer that question.

Sticks, what can I say? I've used dpads since the SF snes days and it's natural to me. I can tell you I've seen others like you here, they buy the stick and what have you, two weeks later they're selling their shit in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

Also, srk has all the info you'll ever need.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Play Ryu for the first month or two until you have the basics down then move on.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    If you're just gonna fuck around play w/ w/e character you get the feel for. If you are semi serious about it, check out the tier list to at least know where your favourite character stands vs the others. E.G., let's assume you chose Hakan for some reason and although you've spent time practicing w/e combos he has you still get owned. The list more or less will answer that question.
    I'd like to actually be semi-serious, but not to the point of being the best.

Sticks, what can I say? I've used dpads since the SF snes days and it's natural to me. I can tell you I've seen others like you here, they buy the stick and what have you, two weeks later they're selling their shit in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.
    Same, I'll probably end up sticking with pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirokei Kiaza View Post
    Play Ryu for the first month or two until you have the basics down then move on.
    I heard that was the best route to go, was just wondering.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

If you stick with pad, you will be awful. Just saying :D

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some of the top players use pad?

BG Level

Wolfkrone is the only one (Vangief I guess???) and he recently said he is dropping pad for good. He said you can control burn kick placement better on stick.

BG Level

I think the only reason there are pad players to begin with is because some people just straight up hate making the transition. You literally have to relearn muscle memory for everything.

BG Level

Bunch of hood kids can't afford sticks and just end up playing pad. Facts. Lets be real now.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Bunch of hood kids can't afford sticks and just end up playing pad. Facts. Lets be real now.
    note: the best pad player is fanatiq and wolfkrone. hood niggaaaassss

qft

qft

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

wolfkrone plays stick. and fanatiq only plays marvel which is basically a fischer price: my first fighting game as far as execution is concerned. if he was playing marvel with viper or dante i'd give him his props, but he isn't

Don't let anyone lie to you. 99% of new-gen fighting game players are scrub pad players. If you want to learn how to play fighting games properly, learn how to use a stick. It's just that simple. You can still be good, but the chances of you being bad are a lot higher on a pad.

And if anyone says "hey deejay but I just want to have fun"

then go play a non competitive pussy mmo you fucking care bear. if you want to be a pussy casual just take a seat and watch like everyone else.

User was infracted for this post.

BG Level

lol

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

At the very least there's absolutely no reason you can't learn the basics of the game and everything you need on a pad. If you want to get more serious about it later on down the line then you can go ahead and pick up a stick then. The transition will be harder given you have to get used to doing everything all over again and retrain your muscle memory, but if you're unsure about how serious you'll get playing it might not be worth the investment to you given the pretty steep price if you want a good one.